Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 PM

92,181 posts, read 122,439,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee814 View Post
Thank you everyone for your great information!!

We are ok with 20-30 min out. But prob not much further than that for my Husbands sake.

We are well aware of the Winters and hope to make the best of them.

To answer some of your questions Drinkthekoolaid (excellent detailed information by the way...thanks!!!):

We are moving from West Virginia.
We love traveling, fishing, camping, geocaching, hiking as well as activities like sightseeing, visiting museums, etc. We could spend the day in the country or in the city and be happy either way.
We try to keep the kids active with different clubs and sports.
Our older Son (14) will definitely do 4-H and he competes with air riffle and soon will start archery. He loves to fish and explore and is interested in anything S.T.E.M.
Our younger son (4) is a bit of a wild man and very adventurous himself. So as much as I can get him into the better. Lol.

Once again thanks to everyone! It is very helpful! ��
This good school district may be another possibility: Bemus Point Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Home

Village of Bemus Point

Again, this is likely about 30-35 minutes away, but it is arguably the "best" school district in the county. They also offer skeet shooting: Athletics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 9,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This good school district may be another possibility: Bemus Point Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Home

Village of Bemus Point

Again, this is likely about 30-35 minutes away, but it is arguably the "best" school district in the county. They also offer skeet shooting: Athletics
Thank you. We will check that out.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,817,302 times
Here is a random house I found in silver creek
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...29913528_zpid/
Not sure what you are used to but most of the houses in this area will be older. We haven't had a lot of recent developments but you can find some Victorian era gems with so much charm and character.

The good news is you will be in the middle of all sorts of things to do.

For fishing there is lake Chautauqua which is a world class muskie lake. And lake Erie. Lake Erie has anything you can imagine even land locked steelhead.

As far as really cool places outdoors for hiking camping picnics, check out allegany state park in NY. Letchworth state park in NY. And presque isle state park in erie PA. They are all awesome and I would put them up against any state park anywhere.

Then 45 mins away is buffalo. So you will have access to a full medical system, a medium sized airport, entertainment, professional sports, museums etc.. Also be sure to check out "canalside" in buffalo. Its on the inner harbor and it's fantastic. There is a cool military and naval museum too. Lots to do.

Keep the questions coming

Old 02-15-2017, 08:27 PM

821 posts, read 753,144 times
WNY is a great place for an adventurous family! Letchworth, Allegany, the Southtowns Trail system that was once a railroad, Chestnut Ridge Park, Sprague Brook Park, Emery Park, and Chatauqua Lake all are phenomenal recreation areas. The lake has a few decent beaches such as Evangola, but i would prefer Chatauqua.

Generally 4H programs are strong in the areas south of Buffalo. I am familiar with these groups in the Colden/Orchard park area and they are great programs. I'm sure areas like Eden have similar good programs.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 AM

Thank you again for the great information! We are venturing up there today. Wish us luck!! :-)

Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 AM

Have you ever been in the area before?

If not I have to laugh because anytime I tell someone from out of the area that, oh yea I live in NY. Their first reaction is oh wow what's the city like.

Lol our western side of the state is quite far from NYC. Like a 7 or 8 hour drive.

Anyways it's kinda cold today and there's a decent chance you'll see some snow. There is potential for lighter lake effect snow today because the lake hasn't frozen over this year

So don't expect big cities. Lol the buffalo Niagara region is the closest metro area to you and that's barely 1million total population and it's 45 mins away

Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 AM

I just saw this. It may interest you since its going on This weekend

https://mayvillechautauqua.org/presi...schedule-2014/

Chautauqua Lake, Lake Erie & Western New York Vacation Information

Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Only drove through as a kid visiting Niagra and Canada. I have had the same experience telling someone we may move to NY. I have to make sure I say Western NY or NY State. Lol. It's funny isn't it how people's minds automatically go to NY City...even mine.
The city is nice. We've visited a few times. Love it. I think I'd rather be on the Western side to live. :-)

Thanks for the links! We are also going to try to fit in Niagra Falls (son wants see)...if we have time.

Heading out shortly. Thanks again for all the great info. Have a wonderful day!!

Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Sounds like you will have a nice trip lined up

Check out canalside too. Its fun year round
https://www.canalsidebuffalo.com

Let us know how it goes and we can give more advice. Have fun

Old 02-16-2017, 04:57 PM

135 posts, read 181,939 times
Hamburg is a nice town, if you're ok with the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area