Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,292,495 times

Advertisements

If your working in Dunkirk , you should target the Village of Fredonia ( pretty high property taxes ) and some outlying country type areas surrounding that . Your going to have a difficult time finding a home under 100,000 in the village of fredonia ..lived in the area 20 plus years
Stockton then the Village of Fredonia
Fredonia is a Wonderful place to live if you can afford the high taxes and housing .there are some very nice houses in the Town of Dunkirk near the Lake Erie shores . Also look into Sheriden ..between Silver screen and Fredonia and the property taxes are less as well..best to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:01 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,203,717 times
We used to party at the college in Fredonia, with a few friends who went there. Always was a good time, not much going on besides the college bar scene. Big state university.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 AM

92,183 posts, read 122,439,279 times
What about areas like the Cassadaga Valley SD or Forestville? They are pretty close to Dunkirk.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,377,778 times
I have friends in Eden. From my outsider perspective, it's a beautiful quintessential small town. Homes are nice well kept. If your into the outdoors/hunting/fishing this is the place to be. Lake Erie has world class smallmouth bass fishing every fall, yellow perch and walleye. You have world class steelhead,brown trout fishing in 18 mile creek tributary of Erie , as well as Cattaraugus tributary known as "the Catt". There is a lot of trapping in the area, as well as excellent whitetail hunting. You are also within an hour any direction of fantastic water fowling opportunities. Truly an outdoors person paradise. What I like about Eden Ny is the friendliness of most anyone I've met there. You know what, scratch that. People in general from WNY are very friendly and willing to lend a hand. I love the proximity to buffalo, letchworth state park, allegheny state park, Lake Erie , niagra river, wineries, shopping , minutes to the quaint town of Hamburg my church away from home in Hamburg. The apple orchards, the fall harvest, the summer growing season. I can go on and on. Again, I'm an outsider looking in, but WNY enters my mind as a retirement place lol crazy I know. Certainly a family oriented place, good luck!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,817,302 times
how did the visit go?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 PM

243 posts, read 219,047 times
Eden is a very nice town , I like the school . North collins just south of it may have cheaper housing . That's about 30min to dunkirk .

Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,377,778 times
North Collins indeed would have less expensive housing but (I could be wrong here) there aren't as many amenities (food stores, etc.) nearby??

Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 PM

243 posts, read 219,047 times
All the towns in this area , your gonna travel a bit to go anywhere . North collins has a save alot . Eden , 10mins away has a sure fine , Tim Hortons , subway . Both towns have pizza places . Evans angOla is about 10 mins away and has alot of beaches . Evans has some nice areas , but thier taxes just went way up . If you want acreage , north collins has that more so than eden and evans . But they do also .

All these towns seem like a good choice because they would be 30min to dunkirk and 30min the opposite way to buffalo . Silver creek , Forestville and surrounding towns are even closer to dunkirk , but I personally like being closer to the city , or at least more metro areas.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM

879 posts, read 1,621,253 times
North Collins' schools are meh though.
If "good schools" are a consideration, buy the most expensive house you can afford with the highest taxes. This essentially works to keep out poorer people who typically don't score well on standardized tests (that's how "good schools" are typically measured). On the other hand you could buy a reasonable house with lower taxes save a ton of money and teach your kids to be open minded and independent about learning as learning can take place anywhere & everywhere (not necessarily only in school).

Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,817,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
North Collins' schools are meh though.
If "good schools" are a consideration, buy the most expensive house you can afford with the highest taxes. This essentially works to keep out poorer people who typically don't score well on standardized tests (that's how "good schools" are typically measured). On the other hand you could buy a reasonable house with lower taxes save a ton of money and teach your kids to be open minded and independent about learning as learning can take place anywhere & everywhere (not necessarily only in school).

what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area