Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:18 PM

16 posts, read 13,787 times

Advertisements

we need manufacturing, unless that happens any recovery is nothing more then nonsense spun by liberal idiots like cumo. 30 years ago, probably longer ago at this point the steel industry drove this area to be a world class city. nothing has replaced those jobs. Its not really coming back until something like that happens. in the city of Batavia not far from buffalo, two new dairy plants were built around 5 years ago. quaker/muler and alpina. the quaker plant completely failed and now sits vacant. the alpina plant has been hanging on by an absolute thread. the last I knew, what few jobs they did offer were minimum wage. another great example of failure in the area, the solar city they were bragging up a few years ago. it was or is being built on the former Bethlehem steel park. we hardly hear anything about it, the last I knew employment is going to fall way short of the numbers that were forecasted.

these "failures" are just prime examples how things really don't work as well around here as they like you to think. nothing but corperate welfare on failed plants. here is a novel concept, get rid of welfare waste, lower taxes and if a company thinks its going to be a good investment they will invest and the jobs will pay more. I would suggest that no one move here, WHY WHY would you want to move to buffalo. better get your head examined.

I used to take flight lessons a few years back. we flew over Niagara falls region over by the Niagara falls airbase. miles and miles of vacant buildings (factories) and large parking lots either empty or only a few cars in the lots. this was around 2013 or so, I bet nothing is changed.

they keep putting lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 AM

937 posts, read 691,288 times
Maybe we can open a coal mine. Now that's a fine, clean, environmental friendly, completely safe place to work.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 PM

937 posts, read 691,288 times
Default Region's job total increases slightly in May

From the Buffalo news;
Quote:
By Matt Glynn Thu, Jun 15, 2017

The Buffalo Niagara region added 3,600 jobs in May compared to a year ago, an increase of 0.6 percent, the state Labor Department said Thursday.

The region's job-growth rate lagged the statewide increase of 1.6 percent, and the national increase of 1.5 percent.

The Buffalo Niagara region's manufacturing job count increased by 0.4 percent, while construction jobs declined by 4 percent. Accommodations and food service jobs were up 3.3 percent, and government jobs increased 1.8 percent.

The region's private-sector job count increased 0.4 percent in May from a year ago.

The region's overall jobs total of 566,900 was the best for May going back to 1990, the start of current records for the Labor Department. It was also the best total for any month since last December.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 PM

821 posts, read 751,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
From the Buffalo news;
This is all fine and well, but why is the census still saying metro Buffalo is losing people? Are these employment numbers wrong, or is the Census wrong?

Old 06-16-2017, 03:01 PM

92,032 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
This is all fine and well, but why is the census still saying metro Buffalo is losing people? Are these employment numbers wrong, or is the Census wrong?
Maybe it is another case of the census estimates overestimating the population losses like they did before the 2010 census.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:46 PM

821 posts, read 751,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe it is another case of the census estimates overestimating the population losses like they did before the 2010 census.
Thats what I'm thinking. I remember an estimate specifically had Buffalo's MSA at 1,124,000 in 2008. Its actual value was 1,136,000. I just cant believe they would underestimate like that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area