Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM

14 posts, read 37,637 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering buying a home in the downtown area, possibly a multi family home. I lived in Buffalo for 25 years but I left about 10 years ago and I'm not totally familiar with how the neighborhoods have changed. Some areas that look interesting are around the buffalo niagara medical campus, the old first ward, or between elmwood and niagara. I realize these neighborhoods may be old and run down, but I'm curious what areas around downtown have the most potential for improvement over the next 10 years. I appreciate your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 PM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
Buffalo has changed a lot. Elmwood and Niagara is by far the area with the most potential IMO. Gentrification began along Elmwood, and has steadily been spreading westward. Was actually just between Niagara and Elmwood, a lot of houses are being fixed up. Not sure if the First Ward or East Side will gentrify, they haven't yet.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:15 AM

Thanks that is helpful. Are there any other areas as well? I am going to Buffalo soon and plan to spend a lot of time looking around these neighborhoods or any others that are mentioned.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 AM

937 posts, read 698,787 times
North Buffalo along the "Hertel Ave. strip". Three new apartments complexes. One newly already opened and full, another new under construction (quite large) and a 3rd a private school being re-habed into apartments. A local supermarket chain has plans for a expansion and numerous other changes.

The 1st ward has huge changes along Ohio St.
Elmwood has always been 'hot', especially now near 'Buff State'.
Big changes on Forest Ave. for the historic Richardson complex.
Areas just east of Main St. mostly downtown have new housing in the past 15 years. many areas that were vaccant lots aren't any more.

Use Google Earth and pick an area, then zoom in.

Unlike a select few here that are biased against the city of Buffalo and proved it by their outdated opinions, there is plenty going on, not just Canalside & the Medical Campus.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:15 AM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
North Buffalo along the "Hertel Ave. strip". Three new apartments complexes. One newly already opened and full, another new under construction (quite large) and a 3rd a private school being re-habed into apartments. A local supermarket chain has plans for a expansion and numerous other changes.

The 1st ward has huge changes along Ohio St.
Elmwood has always been 'hot', especially now near 'Buff State'.
Big changes on Forest Ave. for the historic Richardson complex.
Areas just east of Main St. mostly downtown have new housing in the past 15 years. many areas that were vaccant lots aren't any more.

Use Google Earth and pick an area, then zoom in.

Unlike a select few here that are biased against the city of Buffalo and proved it by their outdated opinions, there is plenty going on, not just Canalside & the Medical Campus.
I second this, the near east side is probably worth investigating as well. I would still recommend away from the Broadway Market area.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:29 AM

937 posts, read 698,787 times
When I was investigating what I now know as (what could of been) the "Larkinville" Amtrak station area, I was (pleasantly) surprised when I saw all the new homes just north of that location.

You see, what so many refuse to understand is all you need is a catalyst to jump start a forgotten area and to have multiple uses for older structures. But, these bull-headed, narrow minded, bigoted types that against anywhere other then where they live or use, continues to stop what is truly needed.

"Spread the wealth" where it's needed, not where it's isn't.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Thanks again for all the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: