Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:24 PM

93,256 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I consider anything west of Syracuse and Interstate 81 to be Western New York.
Usually it starts just west of Cayuga County, as this is roughly viewed as Central NY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_New_York

Western NY information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 AM

384 posts, read 272,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, my data actually was between Erie and Monroe counties. Not metro, but was a few years old.

The large number of commuters from outside the metro seems to make sense as Yates County was added to Rochester's metro about a year or 2 ago. It seems Rochester's sphere of influence is expanding. Genesee County always was part of the Rochester Metro until the Micropolitan areas were created. With Genesee, Buffalo and Rochester's Metros would be equal.
What surprises me is that Orleans County is considered part of the Buffalo Region though Albion is 27 miles from Rochester (as indicated by the sign on eastbound Route 104 at the intersection with 98). Buffalo is nearly double that distance from central Orleans County. Holley is only 19 miles from Rochester.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 AM

93,256 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
What surprises me is that Orleans County is considered part of the Buffalo Region though Albion is 27 miles from Rochester (as indicated by the sign on eastbound Route 104 at the intersection with 98). Buffalo is nearly double that distance from central Orleans County. Holley is only 19 miles from Rochester.
In terms of metro area, Orleans County is in the Rochester Metro, but I believe that it may be a part of the Buffalo TV/media market. There are also quite a few Orleans County schools that play sports in Section 6, which is the section Buffalo area schools are in. This is an example of what I’m referring to: Medina High School star Jalin Cooper heading to Toledo for football | wivb.com

Yet, look at the area the community is in: Medina, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Old 12-11-2017, 02:10 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:

That probably goes back to the days when Buffalo was the dominant city upstate. The last couple of decades Rochester grew and Buffalo has shrunk. Related, but different, I wish they would straighten out Rt. 31. I would think that it would really boost the county to connect to Rt.531 near Brockport and the 990 in Lockport, connecting all the canal towns.

Last edited by JWRocks; 12-11-2017 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: keeping on topic

Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
That probably goes back to the days when Buffalo was the dominant city upstate. The last couple of decades Rochester grew and Buffalo has shrunk. Related, but different, I wish they would straighten out Rt. 31. I would think that it would really boost the county to connect to Rt.531 near Brockport and the 990 in Lockport, connecting all the canal towns.
I couldn't agree more about 531 and 990. 990 Should extend right up to the Route 93 Lockport Bypass near the intersection with State Rd. As for 531, Redman Rd or the access road off Route 31 to the campus of SUNY Brockport would be a good western terminus. 490 between 390 and Victor should also have reversible HOV Lanes like they have in other cities. Would alleviate traffic especially near the Can of Worms.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
490 between 390 and Victor should also have reversible HOV Lanes like they have in other cities. Would alleviate traffic especially near the Can of Worms.
I don't know how 490 got into this discussion, but that section is busy in both directions, so if anything, they might as well just ad an extra lane each way.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I don't know how 490 got into this discussion, but that section is busy in both directions, so if anything, they might as well just ad an extra lane each way.
Designating these middle two lanes as HOV lanes would double down by alleviating traffic volume and encouraging carpooling therefore putting less vehicles on the road. For special events, these lanes could also be switched direction-wise. Many cities like Dallas, Charlotte, and Chicago already employ reversible carpool lane systems like this to alleviate traffic volume.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Designating these middle two lanes as HOV lanes would double down by alleviating traffic volume and encouraging carpooling therefore putting less vehicles on the road. For special events, these lanes could also be switched direction-wise. Many cities like Dallas, Charlotte, and Chicago already employ reversible carpool lane systems like this to alleviate traffic volume.

I still don't understand how this is relevant to the topic. Why not move it to the Rochester Forum?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of metro area, Orleans County is in the Rochester Metro, but I believe that it may be a part of the Buffalo TV/media market. There are also quite a few Orleans County schools that play sports in Section 6, which is the section Buffalo area schools are in. This is an example of what I’m referring to: Medina High School star Jalin Cooper heading to Toledo for football | wivb.com

Yet, look at the area the community is in: Medina, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Yes, Medina and Albion Central both play in Section VI against teams from schools in eastern Niagara and Erie counties. Last I recall, Orleans County received television stations from both Buffalo and Rochester. I know WROC and WHEC cover news stories in Albion, Lyndonville and Medina. As far as radio, the majority of Rochester's FMs like 92.5 WBEE and 98.9 The Buzz reach Medina. Not sure about Buffalo, though I'm sure stronger Buffalo FMs like Star 102.5 and WYRK both hit Albion.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, Medina and Albion Central both play in Section VI against teams from schools in eastern Niagara and Erie counties. Last I recall, Orleans County received television stations from both Buffalo and Rochester. I know WROC and WHEC cover news stories in Albion, Lyndonville and Medina. As far as radio, the majority of Rochester's FMs like 92.5 WBEE and 98.9 The Buzz reach Medina. Not sure about Buffalo, though I'm sure stronger Buffalo FMs like Star 102.5 and WYRK both hit Albion.

I live in a western suburb of Rochester and the only station I can really get is 107.7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area