Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 12:24 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,837,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I live in a western suburb of Rochester and the only station I can really get is 107.7
when 107.7 was The Lake, it was based in Wethersfield, which I initially thought was a fictional place but later learned is a small town in Wyoming County. Assuming they still broadcast from there, that probably explains the reach to Roch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 12:44 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,863,328 times
Everything west of route 36

Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 22 days ago)

5,774 posts, read 5,537,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
As a native Rochesterian, I have always wondered what Buffalo's perspective on this was.

In Rochester, Western New York is defined as the region of New York State stretching from the Canadian Border to just east of Rochester, as well as the Southern Tier from Chautauqua to Chemung Counties. This would include both the Rochester and Buffalo metropolitan areas. Wikipedia defines the region in a similar manner.

However, I have heard from friends who went to college in Buffalo that you guys do not consider anything outside of Erie or Niagara Counties to be considered "Western New York," and that, according to them, Rochester is considered either the Finger Lakes region or Central New York (which puzzles me). I notice your news likewise will generally not refer to any stories outside of Buffalo or Niagara Falls to be taking place in WNY, while in Rochester we will always refer to anything in the above referenced areas as WNY.

Is this true? If so, why? What does it take to be Western New York?
I lived in Elmira (Chemung) for a time, and culturally I think it aligns with Western New York. Really Chemung, Steuben, Tompkins, they are all Western New York to me, probably the easternmost fringes. I know this is subject to debate, particularly Tompkins, but I can tell you this, Rochester is the city of influence in this area of the Southern Tier. That alone leans towards that being WNY--the medical influence is from Rochester, education influence is from Rochester, sports interests are from Rochester, etc. Elmira, Corning, Ithaca, and Watkins are all connected to Rochester in a myriad of different ways. In Elmira/Chemung, while there are fans of other teams, I'd say 50% of the football rooting interest is Bills over Giants and Jets; I became a Bills fan living in Elmira...

Elmira is also connected to Buffalo and Syracuse, but Rochester is the dominant city of influence by a wide margin...

I know people like to call the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes their own regions, but I think of them more as subregions. Chemung and Tompkins have no connection to far out Southern Tier areas like Allegeny, so just using that as an example, the Finger Lakes is a subregio n that touches both WNY and CNY. Southern Tier stretches to CNY once you go east of Chemung--Broome, Tioga, etc. Those areas are more intrinsically tied to Syracuse, and Albany to a lesser extent...

Old 01-01-2018, 07:35 PM

92,223 posts, read 122,497,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I lived in Elmira (Chemung) for a time, and culturally I think it aligns with Western New York. Really Chemung, Steuben, Tompkins, they are all Western New York to me, probably the easternmost fringes. I know this is subject to debate, particularly Tompkins, but I can tell you this, Rochester is the city of influence in this area of the Southern Tier. That alone leans towards that being WNY--the medical influence is from Rochester, education influence is from Rochester, sports interests are from Rochester, etc. Elmira, Corning, Ithaca, and Watkins are all connected to Rochester in a myriad of different ways. In Elmira/Chemung, while there are fans of other teams, I'd say 50% of the football rooting interest is Bills over Giants and Jets; I became a Bills fan living in Elmira...

Elmira is also connected to Buffalo and Syracuse, but Rochester is the dominant city of influence by a wide margin...

I know people like to call the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes their own regions, but I think of them more as subregions. Chemung and Tompkins have no connection to far out Southern Tier areas like Allegeny, so just using that as an example, the Finger Lakes is a subregio n that touches both WNY and CNY. Southern Tier stretches to CNY once you go east of Chemung--Broome, Tioga, etc. Those areas are more intrinsically tied to Syracuse, and Albany to a lesser extent...
I’d say that Tompkins is either Southern Tier, Finger Lakes or CNY. I say that about the latter due to Cortland County being in the Ithaca Combined Statistical Area(CSA) and that county touched Onondaga County(county Syracuse is in, for those that don’t know). Ithaca is only an hour away from Syracuse, if that and they get the Syracuse FOX and ABC TV affiliates in terms of cable TV.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 22 days ago)

5,774 posts, read 5,537,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’d say that Tompkins is either Southern Tier, Finger Lakes or CNY. I say that about the latter due to Cortland County being in the Ithaca Combined Statistical Area(CSA) and that county touched Onondaga County(county Syracuse is in, for those that don’t know). Ithaca is only an hour away from Syracuse, if that and they get the Syracuse FOX and ABC TV affiliates in terms of cable TV.
It's definitely a strong point to make, but Ithaca's universities, health care, and industry is more tied to Rochester. You run across far more Rochesterians in Ithaca than Syracusans. I made the commute to Ithaca many times (there's a bus line between Ithaca and Elmira, at least there was), when I was unemployed and working odd jobs around The Commons, Triphammer Mall, and Cornell. Came across a good amount of Rochesterians,...

Tompkins is the one county that is representative of like four regions. I agree it can be included in Central New York (it shares a community college with Cortland too). It's obviously Finger Lakes, I think it counts as Southern Tier, and because of aforementioned cultural connections, I think it can count as Western New York, too. To be clear I see the "line" that spans the eastern borders of Wayne, Seneca, Schuyler, and Chemung as the WNY/CNY divider, with Tompkins being somewhat of an outlier. I guess if one has to give Tompkins to just one region, I can see erring on the side of CNY, and on the flipside, it would have to be considered the westernmost CNY county...

Old 01-02-2018, 09:18 AM

92,223 posts, read 122,497,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It's definitely a strong point to make, but Ithaca's universities, health care, and industry is more tied to Rochester. You run across far more Rochesterians in Ithaca than Syracusans. I made the commute to Ithaca many times (there's a bus line between Ithaca and Elmira, at least there was), when I was unemployed and working odd jobs around The Commons, Triphammer Mall, and Cornell. Came across a good amount of Rochesterians,...

Tompkins is the one county that is representative of like four regions. I agree it can be included in Central New York (it shares a community college with Cortland too). It's obviously Finger Lakes, I think it counts as Southern Tier, and because of aforementioned cultural connections, I think it can count as Western New York, too. To be clear I see the "line" that spans the eastern borders of Wayne, Seneca, Schuyler, and Chemung as the WNY/CNY divider, with Tompkins being somewhat of an outlier. I guess if one has to give Tompkins to just one region, I can see erring on the side of CNY, and on the flipside, it would have to be considered the westernmost CNY county...
Never heard that before...Cortland Transit also has bus service that goes to Ithaca. I think a couple of other smaller bus systems may as well.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:05 PM

973 posts, read 1,387,127 times
I am an outsider, having lived nearly all my life in the NYC area. I have only been to Western NY once, in the 80s when I was a teenager, but will be making two trips in the next few months.

In any event, for me, NYS only has 3 regions - NYC area; Upstate; Western NY. Anything else is really just a subregion. Western NY gets its own region separate from upstate mainly because the accents are different, slang can be different, it has its own major sports teams, seems entirely outside of the I-95 region, and it seems to be completely outside of NYC's orbit in nearly every respect.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:13 AM

5,508 posts, read 3,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
I am an outsider, having lived nearly all my life in the NYC area. I have only been to Western NY once, in the 80s when I was a teenager, but will be making two trips in the next few months.

In any event, for me, NYS only has 3 regions - NYC area; Upstate; Western NY. Anything else is really just a subregion. Western NY gets its own region separate from upstate mainly because the accents are different, slang can be different, it has its own major sports teams, seems entirely outside of the I-95 region, and it seems to be completely outside of NYC's orbit in nearly every respect.

If anything, western NY is a subregion of upstate. If it has it's own region, then I would say all the other regions are legitimate as well. Although there are sports teams, I would guess that half the fanbase is from outside WNY and the only accent I've ever heard is that they say "the" before their expressways.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 AM

84 posts, read 75,520 times
soda or pop?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:28 PM

5,508 posts, read 3,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander617 View Post
soda or pop?
I think most people just say pepsi, or coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area