Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,820 times

Advertisements

Greensboro Nc Is Looking Good Moderator cut: realtor soliciting ------hate To See People Leave---i Do Know When Things Get Bad People Like To Come Back To The Empire State--maybe You Can Try And See If The Family Can Stay--you Never Know.....

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-11-2008 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,218,212 times
Moved to Charlotte NC. Their all here from WNY. They like it

Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,532,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloPills View Post
I live near Cary, NC moved from Buffalo 2 years ago and love it here. Cary is a really nice upper middle class suburb of Raleigh. The weather is fantastic and still close enough to Buffalo to drive home and see the family. Relatively low cost of living, comparable to Buffalo and the research triangle park offers many job opportunities. Picture a really, really nice Buffalo with a non-violent downtown area and outdoor cafes, thats Raleigh. Oh yea and no snow. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and your family.

And of the three cities you listed under consideration, I can 100% assure you that Cary, NC is the least expensive with a similar quality of life.
Cary is pretty nice...I used to live there and recently moved back to Rochester from nearby Apex, NC (which is a much better place to live than Cary IMO)...but what Buffalo and Rochester both have that "The triangle" doesn't is the one thing you didn't mention...charecter. Cary is very bland. Basically "anytown USA" with pretty landscaping and HOA regulated classy subdivisions with prestigou sounding names. It is a nice place, but overrated. Buffalo and Upstate NY in general may have a sluggish economy and harsh winters (although personally I'll take the harsh WNY winters coupled with our beautiful late spring, summer and fall...compaired to the miserable summers they have in NC)....but there is a much stronger sense of community and identity in this region of the country than in the very sterile and transient RTP area of NC.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:19 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Cary is pretty nice...I used to live there and recently moved back to Rochester from nearby Apex, NC (which is a much better place to live than Cary IMO)...but what Buffalo and Rochester both have that "The triangle" doesn't is the one thing you didn't mention...charecter. Cary is very bland. Basically "anytown USA" with pretty landscaping and HOA regulated classy subdivisions with prestigou sounding names. It is a nice place, but overrated. Buffalo and Upstate NY in general may have a sluggish economy and harsh winters (although personally I'll take the harsh WNY winters coupled with our beautiful late spring, summer and fall...compaired to the miserable summers they have in NC)....but there is a much stronger sense of community and identity in this region of the country than in the very sterile and transient RTP area of NC.

I agree with your comments. The hot hunmid weather here in the charlotte metro was too hot for me. Sat inside practically all summer due 102 degree days. There is no sense of community in my opinion due to all the transplants.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 AM

79 posts, read 354,763 times
My wife and I just moved to Raleigh from WNY this summer. I moved for a job and she moved here with me without a job. It took her about 5 months to find a job, after a number of interviews with college and Financial Institutions in the area. She had about 10 interviews before finding a job. There are a lot of companies hiring here, but the job market is very competative.

We are very happy with the job growth and opportunities that we know we are going to have in the future living in NC. Living in WNY, we always worried about our jobs.

We love Buffalo, but I think that leaving has been the best thing that we could do for our future. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM

79 posts, read 257,602 times
That's how I've felt since moving to the Atlanta metro area. I miss real neighborhoods and that sense of community. It's hard to describe that feeling to others who have not lived in such places/cities that are dominated by subdivisions, strip malls, and chain stores.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,532,772 times
Indeed..."you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone"

but...to quote another feel-good song

"Who says you can't go home?"

Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 45,625 times
colorado. boulder/denver area.

i moved here from WNY two years ago (2 in boulder, moving to denver this month) and i absolutely love it. i'm a fan of WNY as well, and would argue that it's difficult to find a better bunch of people than those in the greater buffalo area, but as a young college graduate the denver area has just been able to provide me with everything that WNY couldn't (job, money, better social life, music, etc.)

Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM

48 posts, read 214,958 times
My hubby was born and raised here in Buffalo then he moved to LI (where I met him) after a few years of us living in LI and us hating the high taxes and the craziness over there we decided to move up here. He is so happy to be back here in the Buffalo area we have so much more time together due to the fact of less traffic and I am enjoying the people around here. Everyone seems to be very nice. SO the answer to the thread is .. My hubby left WNY and hated it.....

Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 AM

450 posts, read 1,055,197 times
Default Settled in the Buckeye state

I grew up on the old East Side when shopping meant a trip to Sattlers'
department store and the Broadway Market had great food stands. I was 11 years old when the last horse drawn vegetable peddler retired from his route down Fillmore Ave. (I can still hear the clip-clop of his horses' hooves on the pavement). I left when the neighborhood became a "hood" and never looked back. Thanks to the tax and spend liberalism of NY government and the intentional de-industrialization of the region, all that's left is a welfare state. I've lived in: El Paso, Tx; Cincinnati, Ohio; Norfolk, Virginia; Batavia, NY, and now Springfield, Ohio (10 years). Springfield reminds me of Buffalo in the 1950's and early '60's, with the exception of lower taxes, less crime and milder winters. I vacation along the Carolina coast or Florida and will retire in a few years to the Sunbelt. I like where I am at and the life God has blessed me with. Other than an occasional visit (every couple of years) to see family, I will not live in Western New York again. Too blighted and too depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area