U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:21 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,209,712 times

Advertisements

The new job I'll be starting will offer a relocation after 6-12 months. The locations with the most openings are in West Seneca and Canandaigua. I'm trying to research both.
I prefer the look of the homes in WS and it looks like I can get a move in ready for 100k. Besides the snow, are there any major drawbacks to living there? It looks like a regular, cute community and not rural.
The other town has affordable homes but they have a depressed look about them and the crime rate appears higher.
I think I would choose WS bc on paper, it looks much better but I might be missing important information so anything you know would be great! Tia
Eta which one would have more swimming beaches nearby?

Last edited by hellob; 08-15-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:26 AM

I was reading the WS Facebook page. Seems pretty safe. Don't see a bunch of drug/violent crime arrests like Port Jervis and Middletown. That's a plus.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:13 AM

2,140 posts, read 924,476 times
West Seneca is a regular middle class suburb of buffalo with either everything you would want or drive 10 mins in just about any direction for whatever you want.

West Seneca is probably just outside the northern edge of the "snowbelt" they will definitely get snow but not as much or often as other towns farther South (hamburg, orchard park, boston, etc)

I've lived in West Seneca and it's a fine place to live. Pretty good schools, low crime, pretty quiet, decent town services, good place to raise a family etc...

I've visited canadaigua but don't really have any useful opinions about living there

Old 08-15-2017, 08:05 AM

65,481 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The new job I'll be starting will offer a relocation after 6-12 months. The locations with the most openings are in West Seneca and Canandaigua. I'm trying to research both.
I prefer the look of the homes in WS and it looks like I can get a move in ready for 100k. Besides the snow, are there any major drawbacks to living there? It looks like a regular, cute community and not rural.
The other town has affordable homes but they have a depressed look about them and the crime rate appears higher.
I think I would choose WS bc on paper, it looks much better but I might be missing important information so anything you know would be great! Tia
Eta which one would have more swimming beaches nearby?
Canandaigua has a higher crime rate? You mean this Canandaigua?: Canandaigua, New York *

Home - Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce,NY

Canandaigua Wine Trail, Finger Lakes

https://www.downtowncanandaigua.com/

If anything, Canandaigua's crime rate is generally(key word) below average and it is more walkable due to being a city(there is also a town of Canandaigua).

It also has less people than West Seneca. So, one incident will be magnified in Canandaigua in comparison.

It also has a beach nearby: Kershaw Park Beach and Bathhouse - Canandaigua, New York * with more on Canandaigua Lake.

So, given some of the things you've mentioned in the past and in this post, I'd still keep Canandaigua in mind.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 AM

805 posts, read 518,070 times
Does proximity to a city matter? West Seneca is only about 10-15 from Buffalo, whereas Canandaigua is over a half hour away from Rochester.

I can't speak to Canandaigua, but I know plenty of people that love living in West Seneca. It is safe, close to amenities, and the side streets are really quiet. There is also a great variety of housing; there have been developments in WS every decade through today. Snow can be bad, but as someone mentioned it is remarkably worse 10 miles south. Nearest nice beaches to West Seneca are about 20 minutes away in Hamburg.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely liking it from what I saw. One strange thing I did notice is that few of the homes have trees despite being older. Is there a reason or just coincidence in the current stock? I like big trees.

CKH, I didn't research too much on the crime numbers, it was just that the real estate listings had the area look worse than WS, but you're right, less people can make a few things look bad. WS definitely seems closer to my hometown in Indiana plus I see some brick/ brickface houses for sale. I like brick. I'll look more at the other town. : )

I don't think that I need to be close to the city since I'd be working in the town where I live. I just don't want rural or the stores are 10-15 miles away. I like nice, safe suburbs with community activities.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:26 PM

2,586 posts, read 1,802,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Does proximity to a city matter? West Seneca is only about 10-15 from Buffalo, whereas Canandaigua is over a half hour away from Rochester.

The ride into Rochester is stress-free and divided highway the entire length. No big deal. Besides, Canandagua has a large enough retail base, drawing from the surrounding region. If not, Victor is close by with the Eastview Mall area and Bushnell's Basin, Pittsford, Fairport....

And, of course to the south, east and west there's the Finger Lakes and it's beauty.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Is there any particular zip codes I shouldn't be looking at safety wise? I'm only going to be able to spend 160k max. 2-3 bedroom, 1.5-2 bathrooms.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,052,508 times
I grew up in Canandaigua and it is an absolutely fantastic place to live. It has a very vibrant and walkable downtown, a city pier and lakefront beach and park which are all walkable. Canandaigua is really a resort town too with many tourists visiting it for its beauty and lake activities. To give you an idea of wonderful the lake is, when bands come to Canandaigua to play at a CMAC performing arts center, they frequently come early to enjoy the lake. It's also a very historic town. For instance it's the town where Susan B. Anthony was tried for voting and also is the location orf the longest active treaty between Native Americans and The United States and was signed by George Washington.

And finally, crime is definitely not an issue whatsover.

Take a look at these images to see the lake and the downtown.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...w=1280&bih=591

Old 08-15-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I grew up in Canandaigua and it is an absolutely fantastic place to live. It has a very vibrant and walkable downtown, a city pier and lakefront beach and park which are all walkable. Canandaigua is really a resort town too with many tourists visiting it for its beauty and lake activities. To give you an idea of wonderful the lake is, when bands come to Canandaigua to play at a CMAC performing arts center, they frequently come early to enjoy the lake. It's also a very historic town. For instance it's the town where Susan B. Anthony was tried for voting and also is the location orf the longest active treaty between Native Americans and The United States and was signed by George Washington.

And finally, crime is definitely not an issue whatsover.

Take a look at these images to see the lake and the downtown.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...w=1280&bih=591
Thanks. How's the winter weather?

The reason I'm more drawn to WS is bc I've been looking at the yearly OT totals for my state job in both locations and see that I could double my salary in WS with OT. Canandaigua would bump me 50-60%. I'm still waiting for the 2016 report to see if the numbers are the same.

Eta those S houses that are in the water are so cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area