Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:51 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times

Advertisements

All the landfills and industrial manufacturers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Tonawanda Coke etc....

Old 08-30-2017, 06:44 AM

6,407 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I did check some maps and it does seem that WNY has an unusually high rate of cancers of all types.

Any idea why this is? Lack of sun or environmental issues? Other reasons, like high smoking rate? Are there any cancer clusters in WNY?
I never drank tap water. There are zillions of landfills with god only knows whats in them. There were all kinds of factories belching pollution into the air. Its not surprising.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 10,304 times
We just moved back from California and I will say I have never consistently smelled such strong chlorine levels in the tap water. I have always noticed it when the local water authority where we lived in CA was treating the holding containers, but within a few days it was not at all noticeable. Here in the WNY area even after being here for months, it's still HIGHLY noticeable.

It also freaks us out the number of times we see commercials for Cancer treatment facilities in the area boasting to be the most experienced and best place to go. Why the heck would a top notch facility choose Buffalo to put a stake in the ground? Roswell Park or whatever - I'm guessing there's something to this, other than just cheaper rent.

Also, the water here has fluoride. It's argued that doing this to the water supply strengthens teeth. You know what strengthens teeth? Flossing & brushing them at a minimum twice a day. What's the point of putting fluoride in the water for everyone when a large part of the population don't bother to follow the basic mouth hygiene principles and are going to wind up with a mouth of cavities anyway?

We're going to look into some type of robust and proven filter method for the water. I'll send it out to be tested, before AND after the filter process we use.

Another consideration is the radon levels in the area. Radon is a natural occurring physical phenomenon that will never be completely avoided. You're exposed to it anywhere you go on earth. However the more time you spend in areas where it collects in concentration the worse the effects on you. I believe it's effects are cumulative - that is to say that like xrays, the more you are exposed to it throughout your lifetime, the worse the outcome. It's residual. Almost everyone in WNY has basements, with almost everyone of them being used as additional living space. Some areas like Orchard Park and Hamburg I'm told are higher in concentration levels of radon. Doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't live there, but you'll have to regularly test for it and if it's an issue install a simple system that cycles the air in your basement. The radon moves out with air flow. I'm guessing there are an extremely low number of households that have something like this. Likely people did a radon test when they were purchasing [maybe they did] and that was it. Problem is that radon moves and numbers in the ppm can vary wildly at times. I'd put an air circulation system in our basement regardless of the test levels.

Is all of this paranoia? Well, given the alternative [a sad situation of my child in the hospital with cancer], I'd say it's a small thing to consider in order to avoid an awful awful nightmare. As for the water treatment? You can't trust ANY person in an official authority capacity in the Buffalo area in my opinion [and according to overall history] - so who's to say you can trust HOW they're taking care of the drinking water? Here, check out this article: What's up with that cow manure smell in Cheektowaga? | Cheektowaga Chronicle

How can they be allowed to dump "combined sewage and storm water" into the local creeks??? Who the fvck is watching over this and allowing it?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I did check some maps and it does seem that WNY has an unusually high rate of cancers of all types.

Any idea why this is? Lack of sun or environmental issues? Other reasons, like high smoking rate? Are there any cancer clusters in WNY?
- Historical dirty heavy industries, primarily coal, coke, steel, dyes, paints, chemicals, and other nastiness primarily from the 1840s thru the 1970s.
- The vast majority of these industries are now gone, but the impacts were felt by the generations that lived and worked here during those times, and is reflected in their death cause and rate.
- The lifestyle of the workers themselves, the area being heavily blue collar, has also had a significant impact on cancer and death rates - high alcohol, cigarette, drug, and poor diet.

You can use this link to select significant cancer reports by census areas:

https://apps.health.ny.gov/statistic...s/mapping/map/

The 2 (to me) significant high cancer areas in Buffalo are what looks like smoking/respiratory related in the inner city limits (lung, larynx, oral), and a leukemia cluster in the area of Riverside/Tonawanda. The leukemia area is where Union Carbide, Allied Chemical, Ashland Refinery, Tonawanda Coke, Huntley Coal Generation, and many other industries were operating, and many still remain. There is some litigation about Tonawanda Coke pollution, and the Huntley plant recently was taken out of service. This was/is also a superfund site at Union Carbide for radioactive product production as part of the Manhattan Project.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:26 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
- Historical dirty heavy industries, primarily coal, coke, steel, dyes, paints, chemicals, and other nastiness primarily from the 1840s thru the 1970s.
- The vast majority of these industries are now gone, but the impacts were felt by the generations that lived and worked here during those times, and is reflected in their death cause and rate.
- The lifestyle of the workers themselves, the area being heavily blue collar, has also had a significant impact on cancer and death rates - high alcohol, cigarette, drug, and poor diet.

You can use this link to select significant cancer reports by census areas:

https://apps.health.ny.gov/statistic...s/mapping/map/

The 2 (to me) significant high cancer areas in Buffalo are what looks like smoking/respiratory related in the inner city limits (lung, larynx, oral), and a leukemia cluster in the area of Riverside/Tonawanda. The leukemia area is where Union Carbide, Allied Chemical, Ashland Refinery, Tonawanda Coke, Huntley Coal Generation, and many other industries were operating, and many still remain. There is some litigation about Tonawanda Coke pollution, and the Huntley plant recently was taken out of service. This was/is also a superfund site at Union Carbide for radioactive product production as part of the Manhattan Project.

Pretty much nailed it.

There is also a landfill near the I290 and I190 in tonawanda that has radioactive waste in it....

The Lackawanna/Woodlawn/blasdell area is also heavily contaminated.

This area has major toxic pollution health issues.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM

Industrial cities or manufacturing cities always have pollution issues. In California there are a ton leaking underground storage tanks containing gasoline. It's all over folks

Old 09-01-2017, 07:02 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Negative cons, well start with high taxes, you are a NY state citizen, NYC controls all state politics, highly restrictive gun laws for legal law abiding owners, excessive fees and government meddling in many areas. Expensive gas. Many areas in WNY have higher than national average rates of cancers. Everyone else in the country either thinks you live in NYC or it's suburb.
NYC area have America largest economy or top 5, It global city on par with London and Tokyo, 64% or 11 million residents in NY state live in downstate NY, 60% of state economy, 21 million live in Metro NYC area . Off course NYC going run things

Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC area have America largest economy or top 5, It global city on par with London and Tokyo, 64% or 11 million residents in NY state live in downstate NY, 60% of state economy, 21 million live in Metro NYC area . Off course NYC going run things
What is good for NYC isn't necessarily good for the rest of the state. They have too much control over issues they shouldn't. NYC in my opinion is the single biggest cause of our miserable political climate, excessive regulations and high taxes.

If NYC and upstate get a divorce it would be the best thing to ever happen to WNY.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:43 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
What is good for NYC isn't necessarily good for the rest of the state. They have too much control over issues they shouldn't. NYC in my opinion is the single biggest cause of our miserable political climate, excessive regulations and high taxes.

If NYC and upstate get a divorce it would be the best thing to ever happen to WNY.
Blame the politicians in Albany they love NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area