Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Maybe its me but I see somewhere on the east coast as being a stronger contender then Middle America Locations. Raleigh/Durham seems the strongest contender with Northern VA/DC Metro being second, each location has issues but both are able to support a corporate investment of this size.

I will be curious to see who wins this cattle call....
I actually thought of NOVA/DC because I think Amazon wants to start lobbying the gvt more to get what they want. They already have a sweetheart deal with USPS they are only going to continually try new methods to get as much as they can and intertwine themselves into daily life. Being near government and politicians make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Agree, Dallas or Atlanta would be the top of the ones you wrote there.

DFW is absolutely massive and the metroplex is so sprawling. There are so many suburbs with lots of land to be developed. Top educated people all over there, and stable climate.

Sorry guys, but Buffalo airport mine as well be a hangar , travel through Detroit, Atlanta, or DFW and you will see what I mean.

Austin had a dumpy airport for years, and they completely replaced it years back, now they are adding on wings to the thing every single year. Now there is another terminal.
The reasons I guessed the cities I did are in part because of their airports. DFW, CLT, ATL are all major hubs, Nashville and Tampa are still significantly busier than buffalo. I think they are like in the top 15 or 20 busiest airports in the US.

But a dark horse is definitely northern VA or DC.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:25 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Another city that pops up, at least in other threads/articles, is Charlotte.

Atlanta seems to come up a lot as well.

Then, I'm hearing that Philadelphia has land within the city that was being developed anyway that may be promoted to Amazon in the city's plan. So, it appears that many areas up and down the East Coast are coming up, including NYC.

I've even seen Toronto and Ottawa being mentioned in terms of Canadian cities.

I still ask, where could a project like this go in the Buffalo area? I ask because this could also give other companies an idea of where to look in the area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-14-2017 at 06:09 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 01:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Amazon would want a place with direct flights to Seattle, DC, SF, and NYC.

I think a reasonably developed smaller city like Boston, Philadelphia, or Atlanta would get the headquarters. I can't imagine Buffalo getting it.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Amazon would want a place with direct flights to Seattle, DC, SF, and NYC.

I think a reasonably developed smaller city like Boston, Philadelphia, or Atlanta would get the headquarters. I can't imagine Buffalo getting it.
That's not even all of it...

If buffalo somehow struck gold and got their 2nd HQ , southwest, delta, Alaska and United would all immediately roll out SEA-BUF direct flights. Buffalo would overnight get Seattle as a non stop destination. No big deal.

Except, its all the other cities and international travel that would be needed. That's the problem.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
My guesses in order

Tampa
Atlanta
Charlotte
Dallas
Nashville
I'd be surprised if it ends up not being one on your great list.

I'd say Buffalo has a lot going for it, infrastructure-wise, but the airport (as busy as it is) is a drawback, I think Amazon would want an airport with the capability of handling international carriers. Can the airport handle those flights? Of course it could, but the key word here is "could". Amazon would want a turn-key transportation hub, that is one that already gets international flights on a daily basis.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:56 AM

I think the aspect many of those cities are missing is the public transportation piece, except for Atlanta. I know Charlotte and DFW is working on it.

A lot of people feel that Boston may get it due to being an East Coast city with a similar vibe as Seattle and with plenty of talent to pull from. It also fits much of the other criteria as well.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of people feel that Boston may get it due to being an East Coast city with a similar vibe as Seattle and with plenty of talent to pull from. It also fits much of the other criteria as well.
Too expensive and the public transit apparently stinks. Atlanta or Denver make more sense.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM

6,414 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Most likely Buffalo is not in the top 50 but its nice to dream.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Too expensive and the public transit apparently stinks. Atlanta or Denver make more sense.
I'm hearing that Denver is getting too expensive and I've never heard of Boston's public transportation being no so good, especially in comparison to most US cities, including Atlanta.

Boston does have many colleges and universities, including many that are of a high level. Space may be an issue in the area, along with cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area