Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 5,757 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm currently living in Northern Michigan and considering relocating for a job to Buffalo, NY at a hospital there. I am a 28 year old single female RN and was wondering what everyones thoughts were about nightlife, safety, seasonal likes/dislikes, if live there is worth the brutal winters (Michigan winters are rough too in the UP) and overall if it is a great place to be for someone my age. What areas to stay away from for crime? What are good areas or suburbs to live in? Thank you everyone. Is there much to do there? Is there a "beach" on the lake? Are the roads kept clean in the winter? Does it have a big city feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:40 PM

821 posts, read 760,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibratedbeauty View Post
Hello everyone! I'm currently living in Northern Michigan and considering relocating for a job to Buffalo, NY at a hospital there. I am a 28 year old single female RN and was wondering what everyones thoughts were about nightlife, safety, seasonal likes/dislikes, if live there is worth the brutal winters (Michigan winters are rough too in the UP) and overall if it is a great place to be for someone my age. What areas to stay away from for crime? What are good areas or suburbs to live in? Thank you everyone. Is there much to do there? Is there a "beach" on the lake? Are the roads kept clean in the winter? Does it have a big city feel?
Nightlife-pretty good on Chippewa corridor
Safety-south and north buffalo are safe, east and west sides not so much
Seasons-Summers are amazing. Spring and fall vary, although this fall has been the most pleasant in recent memory.
Winters- not THAT bad. City and northern suburbs get significantly less snow than UP
Stay away from East side-overall very poverty stricken and unsafe. North Buffalo is very nice, as are almost all the suburbs. Look into Kenmore and Tonawanda as well.
There is a lot to do in general with festivals year round.
There are beaches in the southern suburbs; none in the city itself.
Roads-main lines are fine all winter, but I have heard side streets in the city can be touch and go during big storms
Big city feel- yes, especially compared to UP
I think Buffalo would be a good fit.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 5,757 times
Is Allentown in Buffalo, NY a safe area near Elmwood?

Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 PM

821 posts, read 760,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibratedbeauty View Post
Is Allentown in Buffalo, NY a safe area near Elmwood?
Yes...it is a rapidly gentrifying area

Old 10-26-2017, 07:47 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Are you looking for more of the country, suburbs, or urban city to live in?

Western NY has probably just about any Area you are looking for if you give us some more specifics we can probably give better advice and suggestions.

Just a vague answer but the buffalo metro area has about roughly 1 million people. Its definitely not a big city per say but it's interesting because it can feel bigger than it is and at the same time feel small enough to where it feels like a big town. It has all the amenities of a larger city (decent airport non stop destinations, professional sports, up and coming brewery and distillery scene, major museums and culture, many local food establishments, good healthcare and hospitals etc..) but still small enough to where it's not overwhelming.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:40 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,911,200 times
If you will be working in the new Medical corridor, which is on High Street, that is not a safe area by any means. Allentown and the surrounding area is not the safest either. Its a nice area for young people like yourself but there is crime there and its not as safe as the suburbs but there is more to do so its a trade off. The winters are brutal especially if you will be walking to work, it you have a car and the job provides parking that would be a plus. Also see if they will walk you to your car if you are working late.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:31 PM

24 posts, read 18,423 times
Come visit 1st. Don't believe the bs how good it is. You want to better yourself move to a booming areas in the sunbelt such as SC NC Fl TX AZ or even CO UT OR WA OK GA are booming

Old 10-26-2017, 05:53 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
I know RN's in Buffalo who make big money. The money is there if you want to work.

I would not say Allentown is a "safe" area. It is a hippy artsy area near downtown. There is a lot of crime and thefts. I had my car broken into while parked on the street there, so I'm jaded against it. Lot of my college friends lived there, and we had a lot of fun. Now the area is booming and prices have gone up.

There are homeless and drunks wandering around, as there is a bar district on Allen.

After 30 years in Buffalo, we moved to Austin and haven't looked back. I couldn't imagine putting up with another winter again.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:57 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2022 View Post
Come visit 1st. Don't believe the bs how good it is. You want to better yourself move to a booming areas in the sunbelt such as SC NC Fl TX AZ or even CO UT OR WA OK GA are booming
I lived in the first two areas and if you can fit in with all the Bible folks and rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area