Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:21 PM

9 posts, read 8,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I was asking where your job in buffalo is located to try and recommended better/more convenient towns to check out.

IMO, check out the towns of eden, hamburg, boston, orchard park, East aurora, holland, colden, West falls, elma, marilla, Alden.

What other questions do you have?
Is there a reason to check out these area's... because eventually I do what to move to NYC. The City of Buffalo is just a gradual step up from where I live to help prep me for the...THE CITY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoss1986 View Post
Is there a reason to check out these area's... because eventually I do what to move to NYC. The City of Buffalo is just a gradual step up from where I live to help prep me for the...THE CITY!

Ok...if that's your goal, living out in the country outside buffalo is nothing like, nor anywhere near NYC.

I'm confused

If that's your goal getting to NYC...

Why not just skip buffalo and go directly to NYC or at least some place down state or in NJ near NYC?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Ok...if that's your goal, living out in the country outside buffalo is nothing like, nor anywhere near NYC.

I'm confused

If that's your goal getting to NYC...

Why not just skip buffalo and go directly to NYC or at least some place down state or in NJ near NYC?
Okay let me clarify something. My number #1 selection is NYC but the reason why I haven't even considered it..NOW is because the rent there is ludicrous...isn't the rent in those other places crazy too...if not I WILL..RECONSIDER

Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
Okay let me clarify something. My number #1 selection is NYC but the reason why I haven't even considered it..NOW is because the rent there is ludicrous...isn't the rent in those other places crazy too...if not I WILL..RECONSIDER
You can enter the housing lottery. But how do you plan on getting to NYC otherwise? Will your job transfer you? Will your income rise high enough?
Buffalo is not close to NYC. You can go to philly or Boston or literally a bunch of other cities and be closer to NYC than Buffalo.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
You can enter the housing lottery. But how do you plan on getting to NYC otherwise? Will your job transfer you? Will your income rise high enough?
Buffalo is not close to NYC. You can go to philly or Boston or literally a bunch of other cities and be closer to NYC than Buffalo.
I think the O.P. means he wants to try out Buffalo for its size and affordability as a city before making the move to an even bigger city like NYC. He wants to see if he really likes living and working in a city or not. I can see the O.P. starting out by living in a rural or semi-rural setting like somewhere down in the Zoar Valley, make frequent trips into Buffalo to get adjusted, perhaps then move to Buffalo proper, and then when that scene becomes unsatisfying but he's earned enough money, then make the move to NYC. If Buffalo is too good or if NYC is really too out of his affordable range, he'll reconsider and perhaps stay put in Buffalo.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I think the O.P. means he wants to try out Buffalo for its size and affordability as a city before making the move to an even bigger city like NYC. He wants to see if he really likes living and working in a city or not. I can see the O.P. starting out by living in a rural or semi-rural setting like somewhere down in the Zoar Valley, make frequent trips into Buffalo to get adjusted, perhaps then move to Buffalo proper, and then when that scene becomes unsatisfying but he's earned enough money, then make the move to NYC. If Buffalo is too good or if NYC is really too out of his affordable range, he'll reconsider and perhaps stay put in Buffalo.
Well said.. but tell me more about Zoar Valley any black folks out there. I don't mean to sound racist but I AM black.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:06 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Well said.. but tell me more about Zoar Valley any black folks out there. I don't mean to sound racist but I AM black.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoar_Valley

The link above gives an idea of the actual Zoar Valley Conservation Area. It is bounded by a few small towns such as Collins and Gowanda. I cut through the region it is in in the past and it may be geographically rural enough to be a good welcome to Western New York in a rustic manner. WNY Locals may tell more specifics about it but unfortunately, if you're looking for rural communities with many Blacks, you may be out of luck. Cattaraugus County where Zoar Valley is in and the southern tip of Erie County are predominantly White as are pretty much all of the rural counties I know of in the Northeast. The towns that Drinkthecoolaid mentioned (Eden, Orchard Park, Hamburg, etc) are all predominantly White too. Blacks up here in the North typically congregate either in cities or in suburbs of cities. It's perhaps different from the Deep South where you can find small rural towns dominated by Blacks. I don't think you will find such a rural community in New York or the rest of the Northeast. Perhaps someone else can correct me but that is my understanding.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:02 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
If you want places that are rural/small town/small city in the area/nearby, I’d say to look further east/NE to places like Albion, Medina, Batavia or perhaps north in/around Lockport. Dunkirk further south and on Lake Erie also has a visible Black population and is about 25% Hispanic(overwhelmingly Puerto Rican). Jamestown in Chautauqua County like Dunkirk, also has visible Black and Hispanic populations.

If you are looking anywhere in the state that is rural/small town and has at least a visible Black population, places like Lyons, Sodus, Clyde, Newark and Williamson in Wayne County east of Rochester; perhaps LeRoy, the Caledonia-Mumford area and Scottsville SW of Rochester around where Livingston/Genesee and Monroe counties meet; the Canastota area in Madison County; parts of the Indian River and Carthage school districts around Fort Drum Army Base near Watertown; Fallsburg, Liberty, Monticello and Livingston Manor in Sullivan County; Ellenville, Marlboro, New Paltz and Saugerties in Ulster County; Hudson and Chatham in Columbia County; Catskills and Coxsackie in Greene County; along with others scattered across the state.

In Cattaraugus County, Olean and to a lesser degree Salamanca, which has a high Native American population, are the best bets. You have some students at St. Bonaventure University just outside of Olean in the Allegany-Limestone area as well.

If you want Buffalo area suburbs, parts of Amherst and Cheektowaga, which are big towns that vary, would work.

Anyway, a lot of these population came as farm workers from the South or even the Caribbean and have been in these places for decades, if not even centuries. Some moved north out of NYC due to cost of living or for a slower pace. Some for other reasons.

Many of these places actually have churches that worship out of the African American tradition as well. So, that also gives an indication of there being a Black population in said towns.

There is a thread I added a bunch of information to, that helps illustrate this point through sports, people, places, events, history, census data, etc.

So, with all of this said, you have more options across the state than you may think you do.

BTW-My mother is originally from Marion County SC and has family in Robeson County NC as well. So, I’m familiar with the general area you are coming from.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-25-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-25-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoar_Valley

The link above gives an idea of the actual Zoar Valley Conservation Area. It is bounded by a few small towns such as Collins and Gowanda. I cut through the region it is in in the past and it may be geographically rural enough to be a good welcome to Western New York in a rustic manner. WNY Locals may tell more specifics about it but unfortunately, if you're looking for rural communities with many Blacks, you may be out of luck. Cattaraugus County where Zoar Valley is in and the southern tip of Erie County are predominantly White as are pretty much all of the rural counties I know of in the Northeast. The towns that Drinkthecoolaid mentioned (Eden, Orchard Park, Hamburg, etc) are all predominantly White too. Blacks up here in the North typically congregate either in cities or in suburbs of cities. It's perhaps different from the Deep South where you can find small rural towns dominated by Blacks. I don't think you will find such a rural community in New York or the rest of the Northeast. Perhaps someone else can correct me but that is my understanding.
Appreciated

Old 11-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you want places that are rural/small town/small city in the area/nearby, I’d say to look further east/NE to places like Albion, Medina, Batavia or perhaps north in/around Lockport. Dunkirk further south and on Lake Erie also has a visible Black population and is about 25% Hispanic(overwhelmingly Puerto Rican). Jamestown in Chautauqua County like Dunkirk, also has visible Black and Hispanic populations.

If you are looking anywhere in the state that is rural/small town and has at least a visible Black population, places like Lyons, Sodus, Clyde, Newark and Williamson in Wayne County east of Rochester; perhaps LeRoy, the Caledonia-Mumford area and Scottsville SW of Rochester around where Livingston/Genesee and Monroe counties meet; the Canastota area in Madison County; parts of the Indian River and Carthage school districts around Fort Drum Army Base near Watertown; Fallsburg, Liberty, Monticello and Livingston Manor in Sullivan County; Ellenville, Marlboro, New Paltz and Saugerties in Ulster County; Hudson and Chatham in Columbia County; Catskills and Coxsackie in Greene County; along with others scattered across the state.

In Cattaraugus County, Olean and to a lesser degree Salamanca, which has a high Native American population, are the best bets. You have some students at St. Bonaventure University just outside of Olean in the Allegany-Limestone area as well.

If you want Buffalo area suburbs, parts of Amherst and Cheektowaga, which are big towns that vary, would work.

Anyway, a lot of these population came as farm workers from the South or even the Caribbean and have been in these places for decades, if not even centuries. Some moved north out of NYC due to cost of living or for a slower pace. Some for other reasons.

Many of these places actually have churches that worship out of the African American tradition as well. So, that also gives an indication of there being a Black population in said towns.

There is a thread I added a bunch of information to, that helps illustrate this point through sports, people, places, events, history, census data, etc.

So, with all of this said, you have more options across the state than you may think you do.

BTW-My mother is originally from Marion County SC and has family in Robeson County NC as well. So, I’m familiar with the general area you are coming from.
Appreciated...as to the very first comment I made about the Podunk thing I wasn't trying to sound negative but surely you know how it is down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area