Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 AM

196 posts, read 443,082 times

Advertisements

Thought it was funny. A great NY town named after the famous the Polish General.

Was watching an outdoors show and heard them pronounce with an "eye" instead of an "eee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
darn it. i guess i'm a dope too. add that to the pile with java, chili, etc.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 740 times
And another one: Corfu (near Darien Lake, for those who don't know). We say "Korfew" not "Korfoo."
Does anyone actually say Ni-ag-a-ra Falls? It's always been "Niagra." Just like "Bufflo" instead of Buff-a-lo. I know many native Torontonians who now call their city TO, but I've also heard, like Niagra and Bufflo, "Torono" or even "Trona."

Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
I am an expert at Polish pronunciations, having worked in the retail field where pronouncing Polish last names properly was essential. I had 2 Polish employees who helped me plus a Polish girlfriend (from Poland). Her parents only spoke Polish and their dog only understood Polish. I am also an expert on Polish dog commands (not that I have much occasion to use them any more). People were always impressed that I pronounced their name perfectly which wasn't that difficult once you got the hang of it.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:50 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara Frontiersman View Post
And another one: Corfu (near Darien Lake, for those who don't know). We say "Korfew" not "Korfoo."
Does anyone actually say Ni-ag-a-ra Falls? It's always been "Niagra." Just like "Bufflo" instead of Buff-a-lo. I know many native Torontonians who now call their city TO, but I've also heard, like Niagra and Bufflo, "Torono" or even "Trona."
On the rare occasions in my life where I've had reason to say 'Corfu', I always went with Korfew rather than Korfoo...good to know I guessed right!

Old 12-09-2017, 02:55 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am an expert at Polish pronunciations, having worked in the retail field where pronouncing Polish last names properly was essential. I had 2 Polish employees who helped me plus a Polish girlfriend (from Poland). Her parents only spoke Polish and their dog only understood Polish. I am also an expert on Polish dog commands (not that I have much occasion to use them any more). People were always impressed that I pronounced their name perfectly which wasn't that difficult once you got the hang of it.
I trust you'd be one of the rare people to get my last name correct on your first try, then...although I gotta admit, the pronunciation my family goes with is kind of a bastardized half-Anglicized Polish pronunciation....

Old 12-11-2017, 11:05 PM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post
Thought it was funny. A great NY town named after the famous the Polish General.

Was watching an outdoors show and heard them pronounce with an "eye" instead of an "eee".
Love Pulaski (eye) For me it always marked the turning point on trips to Vermont to see family where you could start going north on I-81 toward Watertown after going east on 104.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area