Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from Florida to Buffalo, seeking general information on Buffalo; weather, type of vehicle needed, 40k salary, areas to live, house or apartment

Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 31,134 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Florida to the Buffalo area over the summer for a healthcare job at SUNY Buffalo. I have no knowledge of the area and would appreciate any advice on the following.

First, for housing, where should I look? I'm a single individual who makes about $40K/year. Should I look for a house or should I look for an apartment?

Second, what should I drive? Right now I have a 4wd audi but it doesn't have great ground clearance. It's also in pretty nice shape and I would hate to see it get dinged and dented from other cars when parking. Is parking usually a concern? What about traffic?

Third, what type of attire do I need? Does it snow almost daily in the winter? What about summer weather, is there a lot of rain?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you guys can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,347 times
Having grown up and Lived there in WNY, I can tell you traffic will be alot better than FLA. The audi will love the snow, I know I have an A6. No it doesn't snow all the time. I'm sure there are places nearby either in East Amherst or other outlying areas that would be good for you to look at.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:50 PM

161 posts, read 703,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehawk View Post
I will be moving from Florida to the Buffalo area over the summer for a healthcare job at SUNY Buffalo. I have no knowledge of the area and would appreciate any advice on the following.

First, for housing, where should I look? I'm a single individual who makes about $40K/year. Should I look for a house or should I look for an apartment?

Second, what should I drive? Right now I have a 4wd audi but it doesn't have great ground clearance. It's also in pretty nice shape and I would hate to see it get dinged and dented from other cars when parking. Is parking usually a concern? What about traffic?

Third, what type of attire do I need? Does it snow almost daily in the winter? What about summer weather, is there a lot of rain?

Hi Mike,

I assume you will be at UB North, here in the suburbs. You could probably find a small house not far from UB on your salary, if you want. There are realtors on this board who could tell you better than I, but I live about 5 minutes from UB, and I've seen houses in nearby Amherst and in the Village of Williamsville for around $100K.

I wouldn't worry about your car; you should be fine around here. Parking might be a problem at work :-D, but probably not anywhere else. The traffic here is negligible compared to most major metro areas, especially if you'll be out in the 'burbs at UB North. If you're at the South campus, it'll be a little bit more of an issue, only because you'll be in the city.

It doesn't snow daily in the winter, but it can be da*n cold. You'll want a down jacket or parka of some kind, hat, gloves, boots... Summer is hot and humid, especially in August, doesn't usually rain a lot, can get cool in the evenings after the sun goes down, but generally is pretty bearable. I used to live in the South and didn't have much in the way of outerwear; moving here was a shock because we quickly discovered you need outerwear for all 4 seasons!

HTH, feel free to ask more questions if need be! This is a very helpful forum!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:18 PM

28 posts, read 156,465 times
How about either renting or buying a condo near UB? There are quite a few around the campus. If you don't know if you should rent or buy, I would suggest talking to a mortgage person to get prequalified to find out even if you COULD afford to buy. I also drive an audi and it's great in the snow.

The winters are cold. But we don't get all of the snow the whole world thinks we do! But the summers here are very nice, with lots of events going on like Taste of Buffalo, Allentown Art Festival, or just going over to the lake.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:28 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,347 times
Outerwear for four seasons, that's got to be a joke.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM

161 posts, read 703,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Outerwear for four seasons, that's got to be a joke.
No, not at all. I find it quite chilly here at night during the summer sometimes. I've had parties here in August where everyone is sweating outside during the day, then after dark I have to hand out jackets and sweatshirts if we want to stay outside.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,259 times
depends on what you want to spend per month - I am always in a buying mode, not only because I am an agent, but because why throw away 1,000 a month to a landlord? Depending on your circumstances, (credit, downpayment) if all is good, I would rec buying - but its a personal decision

Welcome!!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehawk View Post

What campus will you be at? Most Healthcare is at S. Campus and there is a lot done in the Medical Corridor downtown. Is this a job in the field or on the campus? It makes every concern on living diffferent. $40K sounds like you are a grad student or a lab person, not a prof.

That income is easy to live on here, depending on how frivilous you are. I have 2 daughters; one owns a home she got w/her husband for the low $70K range. The other rents a large flat ( 1 floor of a double house ) for $450 plus utilities. She is looking for a house. (Both are married). Neither one is stressed on housing costs. if you rent, going out Main St toward Williamsville is close to S. Campus. You might find a good flat to rent for a year, and look for a house. Lots of towns have first time buyer money credits for people whose income fits; don't know how you get it, but out local paper ( The Bee) had an article on a woman who got a 3 BR ranch for a lot less than it was worth since she got over $10K in credit.

My girls have been in Fl. and both horrified at the traffic. As well, neither liked the excessive tolls. Our expressways around the city are fairly toll free except for the 90 (NY State Thruway). Commute even not on the expressways is short -- I live over 20 mi. from the city line and even in bad winter weather in rush hour, our travel was about 45 minutes, max.

The roads are well plowed. What shuts down even NYC does not shut down Buffalo. You will need to learn the snow; empty parking lots are great for that. The big rule in snow is to never trust any kind of "drive" to get you though; learn to break carefully. Also road surfaces here are different than in the south - they're harder. And, for winter, you put a shovel and some extra clothes in your car, in case you forget something ( like gloves, hat, scarf) We keep some granola bars as well. Have not been stuck in years; it is better to prepare for it.

As far as parking, most places except the city have off the street parking. Work in the city ( if at SUNY S. Campus) will get you a parking pass for campus. Any apt. or house, find out about the parking before you sign on. Dings are generally the fault of fools who park too close, of shopping carts... the same in summer as winter. Don't kid yourself. The crazies on the road are in all places. If you drive carefully, you will be just as safe, if not safer, than in Fl.

Around here, at 60 degrees, most of us wear windbreakers. No joke. You will find it odd to see people in shorts and short sleeve shirts at that temperature.... in winter, it is a jacket or coat and gloves. I never wear a hat, but buy coats w/hoods. It also does not snow daily... we generally get most snow in Dec. and Jan. and it is over by late Feb. This is an odd year... we have had snow this week. Snow can be anything from a few flakes to a storm... mostly, it is a little bit and even if you get it close to every day, it is not all the time. If you know how it rains almost daily in spring in the middle and south of Fl, it is kind of the same deal... no one pays attention to it.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,180 times
Buffalo is a great place to live despite much negative chatter from others. It has its ups and downs like any other place. I myself am moving from Central Florida BACK to western New York where i previously lived for 10 years of my life. now, on to the goods. If your looking For a place to live, look toward the suburbs. there are some really great communities around buffalo with real estate prices that rival most any other area in the country, assuming you don't mind living in an older house.If renting is your style, there is great priced opportunity there as well.Parking is usually never an issue anywhere in the region. with a population of just over 200,000..

as far as your Audi goes,(i'm a mechanic) dents from the parking lot will be the least of your concerns. snowy winters where they salt the roads will make your car start to rust and corrode. it is somewhat avoidable if you want to wash your car alot during the winter but either that gets expensive paying for it or really cold doing it yourself. the 4wd aspect of it will be really nice in the winter on icy roads for sure. ground clearance may be alright if the car takes potholes well because there is no lack of those in the buffalo area. (especially in the spring after the snow melts.)

traffic is very tolerable if your coming from the same congested highways I'm used to seeing here in FL.

Attire, In the winter it gets really cold and snow dumps on buffalo unlike anywhere else.(snowiest city in the U.S.)there isn't really daily snow showers, but you will see snow on the ground daily with a few brief sunny days. until spring comes that is. So a Heavy jacket is standard with maybe a pair of gloves being handy but not needed all the time,That aside the other seasons are beautiful with very little in the way of Precipitation from May to October. (April showers bring may flowers the job market is very stale, if not dying, but if you already have a job lined up, Then you are safe. the medical feild does very well in the area anyways.

The people are really friendly and polite as long as you don't pick on the buffalo bills or the buffalo sabres.They take a lot of pride in the city and their sports teams. The people for me is the greatest highlight to the area, western New yorkers are very humble people and after your there a little while, you feel like you belong to the community as a whole, as opposed to a stranger in an over populated dog eat dog area like Central
Florida.

Crime itself is laughable compared to anywhere else i have been in my travels. buffalo has a very low crime rate compared to any other city in the nation. though crime is higher in the city limits itself (like anywhere). Hence i mentioned living in a peaceful suburb.That is my knowledge of buffalo i hope it helps you..Good luck

P.S. Home of The chicken wing and The Hamburger!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 31,134 times
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! Your advice is greatly appreciated and very helpful.

To those who asked at which campus I'll be at, I'm not really sure which campus but it'll be several at hospitals. Buffalo General and Erie County are two of the more primary places.

As for living suggestions, I'm thinking that renting would be bit easier because I wouldn't have to deal with the loans, etc. And if I could get a place for $600-700 with utilities, that would be very do-able with my budget. I like the idea of a flat but must admit that I'm unfamiliar with such a living arrangement. My primary concern is that I will be working all hours of the night and day, so I need to be able to come and go at odd hours without disrupting other people.

Again, I appreciate all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area