Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 06:18 PM

6,429 posts, read 4,920,252 times

Advertisements

The News has the nerve to charge $19.50/month to read it after you used up your quota of free articles. NY Times is $1.50/week, Wall Street Journal is $222/yr and the Washington Post is $60/year. I have never heard the News mentioned in the same breathe as those pillars of Journalism.

Washington Post Pulitzers 51
NY Times Pulitzers 122
Wall Street Journal Pulitzers 40
Buffalo News 4 Pulitzers

I wouldn't pay $.01 to read that rag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,219,188 times
You are welcome to use a vpn or hide your cookies to get around this.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
You are welcome to use a vpn or hide your cookies to get around this.
Its not worth the trouble

Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,081,454 times
I subscribed digital only for $6/month ($19.50/month is for home delivery). The News also publishes full articles from the NY Times, Washington Post, and other papers that are behind their own firewalls, so that alone is a cost savings for subscribers. I think that compared with most other cities' local papers, the News does an excellent job in its breadth of content, especially in its coverage of local news and sports.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:47 AM

Its $12/month for digital only subscription $6 is for a limited period.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:42 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
We buy the paper on Sundays - only for the advertisements and the coupons and these days that isn't worth the $3 cost. I get my info from a variety of free sources on the internet. It's too bad because I delivered the Buffalo News 45 yrs ago when it was a great paper with lots of features and inserts - Weds were killer days to delivery especially in the winter - but the paper isn't worth the paper it's printed on now.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM

605 posts, read 491,621 times
Of the 4 Pulitzers, how many have been received by the political cartoonist? Heh. On a somewhat unrelated note, just today I logged onto buffalonews.com with the intent of leaving a positive comment beneath an article I'd already read in the print edition, that being Jerry Sullivan's 'confronting' Rob Gronkowski at yesterday's press conference about whether the concussion he suffered made him more empathetic about the head injury he needlessly inflicted upon Tre'Davious White. They pressed me for subscription info to access that particular article, and when I supplied it, it was rejected. Now I fear I'm going to have to make like a homebound retiree and actually call their service line to activate an online account.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:15 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Why would anyone pay for that liberal biased garbage?

Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,081,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Why would anyone pay for that liberal biased garbage?
There are great local images and videos in the News. They report in detail on local real estate and home sales information. It is one of the few sources that writes about neighborhood crime, issues, events, etc and puts them all in one package. It can be a good starting point in searching for current information about news and events.

What is your source for local news and events? What about sports and entertainment? Where do you seek points of view that differ from your own? Where are other sources of local investigative journalism?

For its problems, the News is still better than 90% of the papers in the US, especially in the quantity and quality of its coverage of local issues.

Until something better comes along the News is one of my primary sources of local information. What else is out there?

- local TV stations - 22 minutes of news/sports/weather leaves out a lot of information - 10 stories/day on the web site leaves a lot of open news and issues unreported
- Weekly papers - Artvoice, Public - sometimes decent investigative journalism, but sometimes devolves into the editor's own special interests, and not much regular local reporting
- local talk radio - a bunch of old men complaining about the government and "liberals" - yeah, right, lots to learn there - singing to the choir
- national TV news - all about ratings, so much is overlooked and simplified
- cable news - more about us versus them than actual news, confuse news and commentary freely
- international news shows - a much more detailed and balanced view of US and the world than US news, but not always cover or understand fully American POV or interests, and occasionally act as propaganda for home nations (especially RT, CCTV, NHK)
- online boards - Speakup WNY? same handful of people expressing their biases on generally stupid topics
- Facebook, Twitter, etc - yeah right - filtered to meet your wants and expectations, not what's fully out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: