Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,923,585 times

Advertisements

I remember stopping at a Papa John's in Henrietta back in 2003 or 2004 when visiting a friend at RIT--they were in the Rochester market years before entering the Buffalo market. Despite people's complaints about their pizza in this thread, I remember really enjoying the pizza my friends and I ordered that night. When they opened their Amherst location, on Niagara Falls Blvd roughly across the street from the Barnes & Noble that I frequent, I figured I'd probably head there at some point to see if their pizza still made a good impression on me. But I never did, and I guess I never will (in Buffalo, anyway). I think the information I read about the owner ultimately kind of deterred me--that and my discovery of Franco's, also located conveniently close to said Barnes & Noble.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 04-10-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe one will make its way to NY. We actually get the commercials during ACC Football and Basketball games on Raycom Sports broadcasts.
We definitely don't get the commercials here. Never heard of Mellow Mushroom.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:41 PM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
We definitely don't get the commercials here. Never heard of Mellow Mushroom.
We get them in Syracuse due to reason I mentioned earlier, as we get the syndicated Raycom Sports ACC telecasts on local tv.

We also get Bojangles and Food Lion commercials because of the telecasts too.

According to this list, channel 23/32 WNLO gets those telecasts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ork_affiliates

So, that would be the only time you would see Mellow Mushroom commercials.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Can I take this opportunity to vent my complaint about how depressing of a place I find metro Syracuse to be? Thanks, ckh--I needed that.

(although, some part of does wonder if I'd see Buffalo just as negatively if I weren't from here. And I see Buffalo negatively enough as it is)

Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 PM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I remember stopping at a Papa John's in Henrietta back in 2003 or 2004 when visiting a friend at RIT--they were in the Rochester market years before entering the Buffalo market. Despite people's complaints about their pizza in this thread, I remember really enjoying the pizza my friends and I ordered that night. When they opened their Amherst location, on Niagara Falls Blvd roughly across the street from the Barnes & Noble that I frequent, I figured I'd probably head there at some point to see if their pizza still made a good impression on me. But I never did, and I guess I never will (in Buffalo, anyway). I think the information I read about the owner ultimately kind of deterred me--that and my discovery of Franco's, also located conveniently close to said Barnes & Noble.
Franco's is leagues ahead of Papa John's or any of the national chains. Like you, I had Papa John's for the first time in Rochester about 16 or 17 years ago when I lived out there. They weren't terrible, but couldn't hold a candle to Salvatore's, Pontillo's, Mark's or any of the other local pizzerias. As far as Buffalo Pizza, Franco's, Good Guys in North Tonawanda, and Mr. Ventry's in Niagara Falls are my top three. I have friends from Orchard Park that recommend Bella, I'll have to try them out next time I get to the Southtowns.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:00 PM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
We get them in Syracuse due to reason I mentioned earlier, as we get the syndicated Raycom Sports ACC telecasts on local tv.

We also get Bojangles and Food Lion commercials because of the telecasts too.

According to this list, channel 23/32 WNLO gets those telecasts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ork_affiliates

So, that would be the only time you would see Mellow Mushroom commercials.
That's funny because the closest Bojangles is in Princeton WV, about 5 miles before the tunnel on I-77 that leads into Virginia, and Food Lions as far as I know don't start until you hit the Tidewater region of Virginia. Can't see it happening, but I'd like to see both of these chains in NY. Bojangles is the best of the chicken/biscuits fast food eateries IMO.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:49 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
Franco's is leagues ahead of Papa John's or any of the national chains. Like you, I had Papa John's for the first time in Rochester about 16 or 17 years ago when I lived out there. They weren't terrible, but couldn't hold a candle to Salvatore's, Pontillo's, Mark's or any of the other local pizzerias. As far as Buffalo Pizza, Franco's, Good Guys in North Tonawanda, and Mr. Ventry's in Niagara Falls are my top three. I have friends from Orchard Park that recommend Bella, I'll have to try them out next time I get to the Southtowns.
I always thought that Francos was good but tasted like a commercial pizza chain.

Good Guys in NT, either you love it or hate it. They put so much cheese on the thing, it is like a brick in your stomach.

I love good guys, with their semi sweet sauce.

Best pizza in Buffalo is Bocce Club, followed by Imperial in South Buffalo. I heard some employees from Bocce opened Imperial, so maybe they are similar.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Back in the 60's Eduardo's on Bailey had the best Pizza I have ever eaten. It was hands down the tastiest most wonderful pizza. To this day nothing has come close. I met Mr Eduardo once afterwards at a buffet where he supplied the pizza and it was till amazing. Bocce's did not compare. Santoros was good when the original brothers ran it many years ago.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Not many options for decent pizza in Austin, so we ordered Papa's the other night.

Did not like it, tasted like cardboard. Odd smelling pepperoni. So much for that "better ingredients" model.

This will be laughable to current WNYers but my favorite pizza in the area here is Little Caesars, I have stooped pretty low.

I will say, I took advantage of the free Little Caesars’ promotion last week, and it wasn’t half bad. The sauce had a good flavor to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area