Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 AM

11 posts, read 9,050 times

Advertisements

So I have considered/toyed with moving to Buffalo in the next year and am looking for some advice. I am currently living in the PNW (Between Seattle and Portland) and will be finishing nurse practitioner school (NP) very soon. My motivations for moving are unashamedly for a relationship (girl I have been seeing is Canadian and is now in Toronto ). Since this is a new career I don't really mind moving and a change of scenery would be nice. I have been a West Coaster most of my life besides some military stints. I am originally from Denver so I know snow well (also have a 4x4).

Some questions:

1. Realistic drive time to Toronto area?

2. Starting NP salaries are around 100k in Buffalo, is that adequate for a nice home in a decent area close to dowtownish? ( no more than 30min?). 100k is pretty low for what I am used to. I would also consider a nice apartment or condo if the housing market is trash. I don't plan on being in Buffalo forever...

3. Quality hospitals?

4. Best area for a 30ish year old? I am not a huge partier but enjoy a lively restaurant/bar scene. I have lived in SF, LA and Seattle. I would definitely consider suburbia for a nice home. I am just used to huge west coast cities where parking is a nightmare...

5. Culture shock? West coast is pretty laid back but passive aggressive in a lot of ways. I have traveled the US extensively and am well aware of the East Coast type of personality (specifically NYC/Boston). How does Buffalo compare?

6. Should I consider Rochester as well?

I am currently searching the old threads, but wanted some up to date advice for my situation. It would be nice to get some local perspective on the area since my local Seattle/Portland friends don't have the nicest things to say...lol

Last edited by Aglahad; 08-07-2018 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 06:02 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aglahad View Post
So I have considered/toyed with moving to Buffalo in the next year and am looking for some advice. I am currently living in the PNW (Between Seattle and Portland) and will be finishing nurse practitioner school (NP) very soon. My motivations for moving are unashamedly for a relationship (girl I have been seeing is Canadian and is now in Toronto ). Since this is a new career I don't really mind moving and a change of scenery would be nice. I have been a West Coaster most of my life besides some military stints. I am originally from Denver so I know snow well (also have a 4x4).

Some questions:
1. Realistic drive time to Toronto area? 1.5 to 2 hours. Biggest issues will be bridge traffic at certain times, and Toronto traffic depending on part of the area.

2. Starting NP salaries are around 100k in Buffalo, is that adequate for a nice home in a decent area close to dowtownish? ( no more than 30min?). 100k is pretty low for what I am used to. I would also consider a nice apartment or condo if the housing market is trash. I don't plan on being in Buffalo forever...
You can live very well on 100k. Housing in the most popular areas in the city is affordable (in relation to the west coast) but supply is limited at this time. There are MUCH less expensive diamonds in the rough in the city and some nearby suburbs if you want to spend less up front and improve the property (the housing stock in Buffalo is among the oldest, if not the oldest in the US). Lots of new and updated apartments close to downtown.

3. Quality hospitals?
Major hospital and medical school upgrades are/have very recently occurred at the downtown medical center campus, where Roswell Park, Children's, Buffalo General, Kaleida, UB Medical all are co-located.

4. Best area for a 30ish year old? I am not a huge partier but enjoy a lively restaurant/bar scene. I have lived in SF, LA and Seattle. I would definitely consider suburbia for a nice home. I am just used to huge west coast cities where parking is a nightmare...
City-wise North Buffalo (homes 150k-300k+), Elmwood/near West Side (200k-400k+), Allentown (250k - +) but in all these areas there is limited supply in the best properties. Adjacent areas (almost anything west of Main Street) can also be considered (prices range from 40k to +++) but you need to be sure to check with the locals to ensure that specific areas are ok. East of Main Street there are many good areas, but there are also some areas of concern to be aware of.

If looking for apartment, especially in Allentown, finding off-street parking should be a goal. The rest of the city isn't too bad for street parking.

Close-in suburban areas to look at would be Amherst (includes Williamsville and Snyder), Kenmore, Tonawanda, which are all adjacent to the north part of the city. If you want to live further away from the city in suburbs with small downtowns look at Hamburg, Orchard Park, East Aurora although they are in the snow belt areas.

5. Culture shock? West coast is pretty laid back but passive aggressive in a lot of ways. I have traveled the US extensively and am well aware of the East Coast type of personality (specifically NYC/Boston). How does Buffalo compare?
I personally think it seems like a more rounded Portland in many ways, but people are friendlier and with a slight east coast edge. It is the kind of place where people will talk to you and treat you like you have been best friends forever, but at the same time it may be difficult to break into long-standing groups without some initial local connections (but that seems to be changing recently). I don't see much passive aggressive, you usually know exactly where you stand.

Adds 1.5 hours to Toronto drive, but a nice city nonetheless.

I am currently searching the old threads, but wanted some up to date advice for my situation. It would be nice to get some local perspective on the area since my local Seattle/Portland friends don't have the nicest things to say...lol

My daughter lives in Portland, and we visit the PNW often. We are in transition between TX and Buffalo, although I grew up and have family in Buffalo. I think the areas compare very well with each other in many areas and each has its advantages and disadvantages. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2018, 06:30 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,913,806 times
1. Realistic drive time to Toronto area? 1.5 to 2 hours. Biggest issues will be bridge traffic at certain times, and Toronto traffic depending on part of the area.

Maybe 10-15 years ago. Now its at least 2.5 to who knows. I have made the drive 100's of times and it got longer and longer. Traffic in Toronto is a nightmare, there has been unchecked building for decades and the roads are the same as they were 10-15 years ago. In addition the bridges are another nightmare with delays ranging from minutes to hours. I used to go to Canada a few times a week and I dreaded the bridge crossing.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:15 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
There was a relatively recent thread started by someone in a similar situation. If I can find it, I’ll post it, as it offers some other information that you may be interested in.

Here it is: //www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...ng-advice.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-07-2018 at 07:42 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 09:43 AM

10 posts, read 7,230 times
Don't do it. I moved from Buffalo (where I am from) to Seattle. Buffalo is super insular in terms of culture and mentality--people ask you where you went to high school. HIGH SCHOOL--and I'm approaching 30 and they still ask. It really is like a small town (unless that's the vibe you're going for). I have lived in Toronto--if you can move to Canada move there instead. It's more metropolitan culturally diverse and open minded.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:54 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aglahad View Post

Some questions:

1. Realistic drive time to Toronto area?

3. Quality hospitals?

Just curious, but what type of community are you currently living in? I'm asking because that may offer insight into the type of community you are willing to live in.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but what type of community are you currently living in? I'm asking because that may offer insight into the type of community you are willing to live in.

City/downtown community but I am open to other types of atmospheres. I mostly liked the urban/city vibe exclusively when I was actively dating.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaleft View Post
Don't do it. I moved from Buffalo (where I am from) to Seattle. Buffalo is super insular in terms of culture and mentality--people ask you where you went to high school. HIGH SCHOOL--and I'm approaching 30 and they still ask. It really is like a small town (unless that's the vibe you're going for). I have lived in Toronto--if you can move to Canada move there instead. It's more metropolitan culturally diverse and open minded.
Interesting, honestly I am not surprised. I have had stints in small towns next to military bases where the culture is similar.

I can't move to Canada currently due to ongoing reserve military obligations (but trust me Toronto interests me much more), in addition nurse practitioner licensure in Canada is a whole other ball of wax to deal with to be honest. In short, they are given less responsibility than here in the US and paid much less.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post

You can live very well on 100k. Housing in the most popular areas in the city is affordable (in relation to the west coast) but supply is limited at this time. There are MUCH less expensive diamonds in the rough in the city and some nearby suburbs if you want to spend less up front and improve the property (the housing stock in Buffalo is among the oldest, if not the oldest in the US). Lots of new and updated apartments close to downtown.

3. Quality hospitals?
Major hospital and medical school upgrades are/have very recently occurred at the downtown medical center campus, where Roswell Park, Children's, Buffalo General, Kaleida, UB Medical all are co-located.

City-wise North Buffalo (homes 150k-300k+), Elmwood/near West Side (200k-400k+), Allentown (250k - +) but in all these areas there is limited supply in the best properties. Adjacent areas (almost anything west of Main Street) can also be considered (prices range from 40k to +++) but you need to be sure to check with the locals to ensure that specific areas are ok. East of Main Street there are many good areas, but there are also some areas of concern to be aware of.

If looking for apartment, especially in Allentown, finding off-street parking should be a goal. The rest of the city isn't too bad for street parking.

Close-in suburban areas to look at would be Amherst (includes Williamsville and Snyder), Kenmore, Tonawanda, which are all adjacent to the north part of the city. If you want to live further away from the city in suburbs with small downtowns look at Hamburg, Orchard Park, East Aurora although they are in the snow belt areas.

I personally think it seems like a more rounded Portland in many ways, but people are friendlier and with a slight east coast edge. It is the kind of place where people will talk to you and treat you like you have been best friends forever, but at the same time it may be difficult to break into long-standing groups without some initial local connections (but that seems to be changing recently). I don't see much passive aggressive, you usually know exactly where you stand.

Adds 1.5 hours to Toronto drive, but a nice city nonetheless.

My daughter lives in Portland, and we visit the PNW often. We are in transition between TX and Buffalo, although I grew up and have family in Buffalo. I think the areas compare very well with each other in many areas and each has its advantages and disadvantages. Good luck!

Thanks for the run down and advice, the neighborhood suggestions really help when you know little to nothing about the area. I have read good things about the southern suburbs and its nice to see them listed.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post

Maybe 10-15 years ago. Now its at least 2.5 to who knows. I have made the drive 100's of times and it got longer and longer. Traffic in Toronto is a nightmare, there has been unchecked building for decades and the roads are the same as they were 10-15 years ago. In addition the bridges are another nightmare with delays ranging from minutes to hours. I used to go to Canada a few times a week and I dreaded the bridge crossing.
Obviously I will be going to Toronto to see the girl I am dating but what were the causative factors for making so many trips? Are there a lot more things that Toronto has that Buffalo doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area