U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:16 PM

16 posts, read 10,110 times

Advertisements

I am a Virginia native and lifelong resident, but I have a strong family history in Chautauqua County on my mom's side and I've always thought maybe someday I'll move there. The thing is, I am a staunch liberal Democrat and if an area is too conservative/Republican that may detract me from moving there. The feeling I get is that CHQ County definitely leans to the right, like most rural areas, but not so much so to the point where it would be an issue for me. What are your thoughts here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 09:27 AM

2,601 posts, read 1,807,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood99 View Post
I am a Virginia native and lifelong resident, but I have a strong family history in Chautauqua County on my mom's side and I've always thought maybe someday I'll move there. The thing is, I am a staunch liberal Democrat and if an area is too conservative/Republican that may detract me from moving there. The feeling I get is that CHQ County definitely leans to the right, like most rural areas, but not so much so to the point where it would be an issue for me. What are your thoughts here?

I'm curious why this is an issue for You?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Well, I wouldn't want to be living in an area where my views were in the very small minority because I don't want to have issues finding people who see eye to eye with me about those things. Not that I can't be friends with ones who don't, though.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 AM

65,545 posts, read 91,367,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This...OP, stop worrying about the political leaning, which is generally the case with Upstate NY either way/if at all and just look into other factors in terms of what type of community you would be looking for.

Just to possibly calm your fears, Jamestown and Dunkirk are actually quite diverse for their sizes. Dunkirk has the first and only Hispanic mayor in NY State history currently(city is about 25% Hispanic/Latino, with a visible black community) and Jamestown has in recent years had 2 people on its Common Council that are black/black African descent simultaneously. Just so you don't think I'm making this up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia3-qWCouoE
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...kirk/78187678/

Vickye James - City of Jamestown, New York (where much of the city's black population is concentrated)
Maria B. Jones - City of Jamestown, New York (believe that she is an Afro Latina, as the city has a substantial Hispanic/Latino community(mainly Puerto Rican) as well)
Another council member: Tamu Graham-Reinhardt - City of Jamestown, New York
Other members and there is a nice mix in terms of party affiliation: Members - City of Jamestown, New York

You also have Fredonia, adjacent to Dunkirk, which is a college town home to SUNY-Fredonia. There is also the Cattaraugus Territory, where the Silver Creek and Gowanda SD's get their relatively high Native American student populations from.

You also has quaint walkable communities on Chautauqua Lake such as Bemus Point(Maple Grove SD) and Mayville(Chautauqua Lake SD). There's also the Chautauqua Institute/community: https://chq.org/

So, you may actually be surprised by some of the communities within the county, but ultimately, I don't think it would matter.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-08-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 12:08 PM

126 posts, read 58,705 times
It always cracks me up of how deathly terrified liberals are to move to or even be in a place that may be even the slightest bit majority Republican. It shows how they lack the ability to think for themselves and how they simply parrot what they read on Twitter and hear on CNN.

I'm a Trumper. My neighbor supports Barney. We get along great and if we ever needed anything we'd be there for each other. That's the real world.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:32 PM

4,577 posts, read 2,495,808 times
All the Representatives from Chautauqua are Republicans. That includes NYS Assembly and Senate and US Congress.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM

14,615 posts, read 4,832,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChadderson View Post
It always cracks me up of how deathly terrified liberals are to move to or even be in a place that may be even the slightest bit majority Republican. It shows how they lack the ability to think for themselves and how they simply parrot what they read on Twitter and hear on CNN.

I'm a Trumper. My neighbor supports Barney. We get along great and if we ever needed anything we'd be there for each other. That's the real world.
All you need to do is read around the forum to see it goes both ways.

And no, not all liberals care about the political views of where they live.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:15 PM

3,217 posts, read 3,170,248 times
Staunch liberal Democrats afraid of the rural countryside are always the rich who don't want to live in the poor neighborhoods with the highest percentage of Democrats. Sounds like the OP doesn't know he is a closeted Republican.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Staunch liberal Democrats afraid of the rural countryside are always the rich who don't want to live in the poor neighborhoods with the highest percentage of Democrats. Sounds like the OP doesn't know he is a closeted Republican.
No way am I a Republican! Democrat for life.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:38 AM

65,545 posts, read 91,367,902 times
JWood99, what part of the county are you considering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area