Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 01:26 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just like other groups, it can take time, but even now, many work jobs that others may not want to do or start businesses for their and the greater community(restaurants, markets, etc.).
Why take any job, when you can go on public assistance? How do their businesses benefit the area? I can't imagine going to Lackawanna for any reason. My niece lives in the West Side and they stole her doorbell and constantly steal packages off her porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 01:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Just like other groups, it can take time, but even now, many work jobs that others may not want to do or start businesses for their and the greater community(restaurants, markets, etc.).
I don't read the language but here is a link to the Buffalo Bangla newspaper, which is pretty substantial and a good representation of how large their Buffalo community has grown on the East Side, such that it can support a newspaper of this size in content and advertising:
https://buffalobangla.com

Retail, restaurants, schools, doctors, attorneys, etc.

And just reviewing home sales in the last couple of years, there have been a couple of thousand home sales in the area to the Bangladeshi/Indian/Pakistani community (just looking at last names), so that alone is contributing to neighborhood stability, if not growth of the area. During my visit to the Clinton-Bailey Market a couple of weeks ago about half the people there appeared to be South Asian (and a good number of other immigrant groups were also there), and it was VERY busy.

Of course there are a multitude of other immigrant communities in and around Buffalo that support their own businesses, along with other local businesses. I always see a lot of immigrants (or, at least folks holding onto their traditional garb) at the local Home Depot, contributing to the economy.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Our daughter had a Bangladesh boyfriend and the community is very close knit, including arranged marriages. I really liked the guy and he was a fabulous cook. I learned a great deal about their culture from him. They don't assimilate into the greater community and have their own markets, restaurants, newpapers etc.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:56 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
A snippet of news related to the Central Terminal...

Douglas Jemal is ready to tackle the Central Terminal: 'It was love at first sight': https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...0-3e179cc0d8b4

Old 03-11-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
A snippet of news related to the Central Terminal...

Douglas Jemal is ready to tackle the Central Terminal: 'It was love at first sight': https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...0-3e179cc0d8b4
Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall

Old 03-11-2021, 03:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall
No, its not. You have to find something else to complain about.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:07 AM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Unfortunately the terminal, which I have been to as a child when we took trains to NYC, is in a poverty stricken area and enticing people to go there, is and will always be a challenge. If it was downtown, it would have been redeveloped a long time ago. I am not sure who would want to pay money for an apartment there, when you can be downtown near the waterfront. Unfortunately a lot of these plans are not based in reality. It would be better to lower taxes and regulations so business would locate there and employ people and the cycle of welfare dependency would be broken. Since these voters are reliable Democrats, why change anything?
Buffalo Central Terminal is a great old gal; hope this time things finally work outand she's restored to something approaching her former glory.

https://roadtrippers.com/magazine/bu...inal-turns-90/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaJ7o-E0Y0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area