Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 03:01 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Lake Ontario is at a all time high. We were vacationing in Canada last year and its a huge problem.

You are correct. I live on the shore of Lake Ontario and I can tell you anything you want to know about that subject. Ever since the plan 2014 went into effect, we have been flooded 2 out of the 3 years. They are predicting flooding again next year, only worse. The lake is still to high, and they refuse to lower it. Our own governor has told us to get used to it. The high water fits his green agenda with the hydro power that they send to NYC (his core voters). They blame it on "climate change", but it's clear that they controlled the lake at over 1 foot higher than long term averages, in the spring, when everyone knows the snow melts and it's rainy. It's criminal. And then they held it back so we had to deal with it all summer long. It's criminal, because it was intentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Gore was a millionaire before he became VP, no one is "getting rich" because of climate change other than the oil and coal company climate denier industry. All his profits from the climate change book and movie go to the Climate Reality Project to fight global warming.

Here is what the "under water rant" is actually saying:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ater/39533119/

End of the century not "by now."

Don't just read the headlines, read what they are really saying.

FYI tidal gauges along the East Coast and Gulf Coast have measured actual sea level rise in the last century ranging from just over 1 foot near Massachusetts to nearly 3 feet in parts of Louisiana (land subsidence combined with sea surface rise). As global temperature rises have accelerated in the last 20 years, these rates will go up (as the predictions say). Some of the rise is due to water temperature increases, which cause the volume of the oceans to expand. And yes, water temperatures are increasing.

Whether "refugees" from climate change move to the Great Lakes, which is one of the few areas predicted to have a net positive more moderate climate, it is too soon to tell. I know I sure don't want to live in a hot (and getting hotter) climate ever again.

Ever since the 70's, they have Chicken Littled us to death. "we only have 12 more years" is repeated every 12 years. I not only read the articles, I read both sides of the issue, and do read "what they are really saying". Then I apply intelligence and logic and usually find an agenda, which causes the whole article to meet my delete button. Jeez, even the co founders of the weather channel and Greenpeace think it's bunk.

Do some research into the "97 % of scientists agree" narrative please, and read it, not just the headline

Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You are correct. I live on the shore of Lake Ontario and I can tell you anything you want to know about that subject. Ever since the plan 2014 went into effect, we have been flooded 2 out of the 3 years. They are predicting flooding again next year, only worse. The lake is still to high, and they refuse to lower it. Our own governor has told us to get used to it. The high water fits his green agenda with the hydro power that they send to NYC (his core voters). They blame it on "climate change", but it's clear that they controlled the lake at over 1 foot higher than long term averages, in the spring, when everyone knows the snow melts and it's rainy. It's criminal. And then they held it back so we had to deal with it all summer long. It's criminal, because it was intentional.
Awful situation. I understand that NY State has no legal say in the issue, as outflow is controlled by the International Joint Commission. I had heard that Cuomo and the NY Attorney General were threatening the IJC with a lawsuit in order to reduce levels, but I don't know how a lawsuit can be enforced on an international commission.

I also read that Canada objected to decreasing the lake level due to downstream flooding near Montreal.

What a mess. Is it even possible to go back to the pre-2014 plan? With the heavy rains/snows of last year would the outcome have been any different this year?

Old 09-23-2019, 03:28 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
I'm curious how would they lower it? The lake is not a dammed up river and its natural outflow is still there and not impeded?

The former Niagara & Mohawk now National Grid does not supply NYC unless Con Edison buys extra power off the grid and then they or any number of companies in the country may be the source that delivers it.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Awful situation. I understand that NY State has no legal say in the issue, as outflow is controlled by the International Joint Commission. I had heard that Cuomo and the NY Attorney General were threatening the IJC with a lawsuit in order to reduce levels, but I don't know how a lawsuit can be enforced on an international commission.

I also read that Canada objected to decreasing the lake level due to downstream flooding near Montreal.

What a mess. Is it even possible to go back to the pre-2014 plan? With the heavy rains/snows of last year would the outcome have been any different this year?

You're correct. It's a federal issue because it is an international treaty. We are trying to get them to go back to the old plan. There are 6 people on the IJC panel. I can't believe they are doing this on their own. Someone(s) is directing them in their actions. Why would our government do this to thousands of citizens and their homes if the government didn't want it? Schumer stopped by and promised to help, and has done nothing. No sign of Gilldebrand. As I said, Cuomo wants to use the lake like a reservoir and harness as much hydro as they can. They are closing Indian Point nuclear plant and need to replace that power to cool the NYC skyscrapers. They are already running larger power lines up the Hudson. Pretty obvious. Cuomo is trying to play both sides, but failing. We know.

We did NOT get heavy rains and snow last year. They say "record levels of rain", but .5" isn't worth mentioning. Having the lake a foot above average is absolutely the cause, not global warming as is being blamed. I've lived on the lake my entire life and many childhood friends still do too. We have all lived through 60 springs on this lake, and we know it's intentional, preventable, and we all know we are being lied to by our government.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm curious how would they lower it? The lake is not a dammed up river and its natural outflow is still there and not impeded?

The former Niagara & Mohawk now National Grid does not supply NYC unless Con Edison buys extra power off the grid and then they or any number of companies in the country may be the source that delivers it.

There are a couple of dams and hydro plants on the Saint Lawrence river. They hold the water back, so they can run it through the turbines, instead of helping citizens and businesses that are suffering by releasing some of it.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 PM

304 posts, read 217,683 times
WGRZ Channel 2 just aired a story, For the 3rd time in the last year & 1/2, the national credit agencies have downgraded the City of Buffalo's bond rating. maybe some can add the link

Old 09-23-2019, 04:08 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Ever since the 70's, they have Chicken Littled us to death. "we only have 12 more years" is repeated every 12 years. I not only read the articles, I read both sides of the issue, and do read "what they are really saying". Then I apply intelligence and logic and usually find an agenda, which causes the whole article to meet my delete button. Jeez, even the co founders of the weather channel and Greenpeace think it's bunk.

Do some research into the "97 % of scientists agree" narrative please, and read it, not just the headline
Things I know as a fact:

- As measured by satellite imagery, Arctic sea ice has decreased by 55% between 1979 and today.
- As measured by instruments in Hawaii, atmospheric CO2 has increased from 310ppm in 1960 to 410ppm today, or by over 30%.
- As measured by surface and sea temperatures, world-wide temperature averages have been increasing for over 100 years, with a pause only briefly during the post-WW2 period
- As measured by tidal gauges and satellite data, the average worldwide sea level has risen by about 8 inches since 1880, and has been rising at an accelerated rate since about 1990
- As measured by ice core samples, atmospheric CO2 concentrations cyclicly ranged between 180ppm to 280ppm for around 800,000 years until around 1800 when concentrations began an increase never seen in the past.
- CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and its increase in the atmosphere is the only recognized variable identified and correlated with increasing temperatures globally
- CO2 is created primarily by the combustion of carbon-based fuels (wood, coal, oil, gas)

Other things I know as a fact:
- Oil, coal, gas companies, middle-eastern royalty, Russian dictators, and other assorted oligarchs and poo-bahs make $Trillions by the gathering, distribution, and burning of carbon-based fuels
- It is in the interest of the above to continue the supply and distribution and collection of revenue and political power to maintain and increase use of such carbon-based fuels, and will develop and mobilize national armies to protect their interests, and seize the interests from others where possible
- Greenpeace total revenue US was $20M a year, and Rex Tillerson alone as head of Exxon was paid $24.5M, and received a compensation package valued at $185M when he left the company
- Rich people can pay to live anywhere and in any way they desire, regardless of country or climate

Follow the money...

Old 09-23-2019, 04:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,896,864 times
https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...1-32136a72e05e

Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagarapurple View Post
WGRZ Channel 2 just aired a story, For the 3rd time in the last year & 1/2, the national credit agencies have downgraded the City of Buffalo's bond rating. maybe some can add the link

What about the Albany appointed Control Board to watch the financials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area