Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
Based on everything I’ve read, new fabrication materials seem to be more toxic than many of the old ones. I’m thinking of things like flame retardants and microplastics and outgassing. There are thousands of new synthetic chemicals that haven’t been well tested yet in our modern era of deregulation. In a generation or two, we may discover that a dozen of them were as bad as asbestos or lead.
In Houston there have been significant issues with hazardous mold and mildew forming in the walls of new homes since they have been sealed so tightly. These did not just include flooded homes. I had co-workers with children who had to vacate their homes for months while waiting for contractors to fix the homes.

If people were willing to put the cost difference between an old and new home into updating an older home they could turn that old house into twice what a new home could be. Many people won't do that because they may not get their money back if they sell - but if you plan to live and stay there it can be worthwhile.

Several neighborhoods in Buffalo, especially much of the North and West Side, have seen market value increase so dramatically that anyone who bought and improved in the last 5 years or so definitely will get their money back today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
This thread is about Buffalo being one of the "Greenest Cities"in America. I was pointing out that the older housing stock, which is touted as a positive for Buffalo, in many of these threads, contains many toxins, that newer houses do not.

What do cancer rates in Florida have to do with WNY? As you can see from this site NY is 3rd in cancer in the USA

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/c...iagnoses.html/

Florida is not in the top 25:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...cer-rates.html

Florida is 41st out of 50 in this site:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...cer-rates.html
Again, I’ve never seen where the Buffalo area housing stock was “touted” due to its age. I know what you are saying, but I’ve just never seen that as necessarily being “touted” as a plus in that regard. As of this source(2010-2014 info), the median age of homes in the area is 1955: U.S. House Median Built Year Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Also, the other posts above illustrate that age is necessarily the issue in terms of toxins in relation to homes, but the materials used are.

Ironically, the source you used states that while the rate may be higher in NY, CA and FL as of 2017 had more new cases than NY. For 2019, FL has 20,000 more new cases and 10,000 more deaths than NY: https://cancerstatisticscenter.cancer.org/#!/ So, I would say that it is something for you to possibly consider, given the concern about the topic. I know we may debate back and forth, but this is a serious thing to consider, in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area