Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 04:52 PM

472 posts, read 335,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
The Nabobs of Negativity are threatened whenever their near monopoly on this thread is challenged. No one is allowed to get a good word in unchallenged.
I checked out a few other forums on City Data. Detroit’s grapples with lots of negativity, Cleveland’s a little, and Pittsburgh’s not at all.

I don’t mind the negativity on Buffalo’s forum. If Buffalo weren’t the greatest city on the planet, it wouldn’t receive all the backlash it receives, or be worth defending so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 09:02 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
South Buffalo does not exist in a vacuum. So saying taxes, manufacturing and associated employment are irrelevant is not correct IMHO.
The point is that the thread is about the development taking place in that area of South Buffalo, not taxes in Amherst or other opinions about other parts of the area.

Also, I provided information as to why the area could gain traction relatively quickly due to having a stable, generally (lower to solidly)middle class population around Seneca Street/Cazenovia Park. I believe that is what the developer in the segment(remember that) is referring to or at least partially. So, the aspect of employment and even affordability were addressed specifically in relation to the actual area in the thread via said information.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:35 AM

6,385 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The point is that the thread is about the development taking place in that area of South Buffalo, not taxes in Amherst or other opinions about other parts of the area.

Also, I provided information as to why the area could gain traction relatively quickly due to having a stable, generally (lower to solidly)middle class population around Seneca Street/Cazenovia Park. I believe that is what the developer in the segment(remember that) is referring to or at least partially. So, the aspect of employment and even affordability were addressed specifically in relation to the actual area in the thread via said information.
I was talking about taxes all over WNY not just Amherst. I was also talking about the employment in the general South Buffalo area. Both of these impact South Buffalo directly.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM

1,070 posts, read 391,628 times
Bills beat Dolphins!!!

oops, my bad - that’s Orchard Park NOT S.Buffalo!

Wiechec’s Lounge in Kaiser Town has been a hotspot for decades! It was opened ~100 years ago by my wife’s uncle - it’s still in the family.

S.Buffalo is alive-and-well due, in part, to Wiechec’s!

https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/...echecs-lounge/

Last edited by TonyNC; 10-21-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-22-2019, 11:41 AM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
How about this transformation (yes its behind a firewall, but you get 5 free a month or you can subscribe digitally since everyone here is so interested in Buffalo, ya cheap bastards).

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/22/t...ndowners-1965/

Quote:
Torn-Down Tuesday: Buffalo’s biggest landowners, 1965

The industrial property with the biggest assessment was the Republic Steel plant on South Park Avenue. It was assessed at $9.5 million. Republic Steel closed in 1983. The site is now home to the RiverBend Tesla factory.

No. 2 was just across the Buffalo River. The Donner-Hanna Coke Corp. was assessed at $8.8 million and has been closed for decades, as has Allied Chemical & Dye Corp. Allied was across South Park from Hanna Coke, and at $6.5 million, was No. 3 on the list.

Allied’s maze of labs, factories and warehouses ran between Elk Street and South Park. A block south on Elk Street was No. 5 on the list, the Socony Oil refinery, which was valued at just under $4.5 million.
https://goo.gl/maps/BKdeQJwCrxBrnuwh9

https://goo.gl/maps/E7Z8TAxRyn1KqVn76

Old 10-24-2019, 05:30 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagarapurple View Post
Buffalo Rising aka fake news , only talks about positive or atleasts try to find something to be positive about and also makes up false articles such as making up a article about Buffalo has the best weather in the country and make believe articles about developments that never happen because their just hear so or just dreams but the Buffalo News & local tv stations have been doing that for the last 45 years all they do 24/7 is say Buffalo is booming and the whole country is impressed everyone has Buffalo Love , no one builds or works on tall building anymore or shops in stores anymore and now A O C and the Squad are God's 24/7. aka brainwashing the dumb and weak minded .
Your ability to construct a run-on sentence is impressive. That said, all of Hook & Ladder's acquisitions notwithstanding, I would never say that South Buffalo is undergoing a 'positive transformation', at least not yet. My mom's side of the family is from there; I still have an uncle off of Seneca, and the place (South Buffalo) has reeked of decline ever since I was old enough to form such impressions. When I listen to my mom tell stories of the 'good old days' from her childhood, it's sad to contrast what she speaks about to how it is now.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
The condition of Buffalo is a Rorschach Test. It tells us more about the observer than about the thousand-square-mile, million-person area. When someone describes Buffalo as charming or interesting or resilient, it reflects his own feelings of confidence and tolerance and inquisitiveness. When someone describes Buffalo as a dump, it reflects his own feelings of inadequacy and failure about his life. When someone compares some other city favorably to Buffalo, it reveals his own desire to justify his decision to move, to try to emotionally cement over unfinished business, to try to forget in his mind what his heart cannot, to try to seek approval for the choice he made. The more passionately a guy rants about the alleged shortcomings of Buffalo, the more baggage he has to unload. Maybe he hasn’t called his mama in Tonawanda in months. Maybe he didn’t go back for his cousin’s wedding in Lockport. Maybe he sits in the stadium at a Carolina Panthers game, and after the four beers wear off, he realizes deep in his soul that something isn’t the same. Whatever the issue, you can bet folks will anonymously unload it on the internet to strangers. So you can look up a few Wikipedia statistics about Buffalo? Yawn. You’ll never be a professional demographer. The real story of interest is what people left behind, and why they come to this forum to look for it.
You're an amusing writer, but this is a bit hash and unfair. It is actually something of a Rorschach test, but the spin/interpretation you provided is entirely different from that which I would provide. I think the people who are 'best off' in Buffalo are those who are 'focused' on their own pursuits, blinded to the reality that surrounds them, the decline and poverty that makes it the third- or fourth- poorest 'large' city in the country. There's an article in today's BN about the 8 counties of WNY being the unhealthiest counties in the state--it amazes me that all 8 can fare so poorly, with not even a single random outlier in Chautauqua or what have you. Then factor in the weather and it's pretty difficult for a lot of people to maintain a 'big picture' positive outlook of life in Buffalo. I don't blame expats one bit for either defecting or for complaining about what they once endured.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Owned a few duplexes in the area. Was actually a proud Irish area for quite some time, then turned into a total dump.

Glad to see "something" is happening in the area.

I wouldn't even let my wife walk up seneca street to pick up a pizza at blasdell pizza alone about 7 years ago.

Are there still dozens of abandoned houses off seneca, and some that have been demolished by the city?

There were always a few real nice houses near Caz Park, and a handful of upkept duplexes, but the majority was in disrepair.

I'm not sure if anyone talks about Buffalove besides the local area. In Austin, San Antonio, or Houston if I tell people where I'm from they have no idea. They had no idea that there was anything to New York state besides NYC.

These reactions are from educated professionals who make a good living also. People don't know or care, and they definitely aren't spending their tourist dollars there either.

I told someone I was going up north next week to see some family, they responded "oh that's nice it should be a fun trip up to Dallas".
Texas has never exactly been known for its cosmopolitanism. That said, when my best friend moved to DC, he encountered much disbelief about the fact that the distance from Buffalo to DC was pretty comparable to the distance from Buffalo to NYC--'Upstate NY awareness' does seem pretty minimal elsewhere in the country, Simpsons' writers excepted (I'm referring to the humorous clip from several months back where Homer sings a song which bashes upstate)

Old 10-24-2019, 09:28 PM

304 posts, read 217,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You're an amusing writer, but this is a bit hash and unfair. It is actually something of a Rorschach test, but the spin/interpretation you provided is entirely different from that which I would provide. I think the people who are 'best off' in Buffalo are those who are 'focused' on their own pursuits, blinded to the reality that surrounds them, the decline and poverty that makes it the third- or fourth- poorest 'large' city in the country. There's an article in today's BN about the 8 counties of WNY being the unhealthiest counties in the state--it amazes me that all 8 can fare so poorly, with not even a single random outlier in Chautauqua or what have you. Then factor in the weather and it's pretty difficult for a lot of people to maintain a 'big picture' positive outlook of life in Buffalo. I don't blame expats one bit for either defecting or for complaining about what they once endured.
When you tell someone your from Buffalo NY & WNY their look on their face's says it all or even down in the Hudson Valley & NYC they all start laughing and say the governments in WNY are like the mafia up there .

Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagarapurple View Post
When you tell someone your from Buffalo NY & WNY their look on their face's says it all or even down in the Hudson Valley & NYC they all start laughing and say the governments in WNY are like the mafia up there .
This is neither here nor there, but since I just responded to VA Yankee in the NF thread...there was a guy who used to post on this site years back (before you joined, looking at your join date) who was absolutely obsessed with the Niagara Falls mafia...he posted a link to some book on multiple occasions about the history of the mafia in that city...looked interesting, but he seemed to think it was still a mafia-run city or something. If anything now it's good ol'-fashioned street gangs running or competing for turf in the drug trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area