Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 04:46 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

/\

Read your own article "One of the reasons for that is the city's annual Foreclosure Assistance Program, officials said. To keep homes or businesses off the auction block, lawyers for the city negotiated 800 payment plans with property owners who owed the city taxes, sewer rent, user fees or water bills."

Seems the city is being more flexible with those that owe money rather than just improved conditions, hopefully they take advantage of this opportunity...

Old 10-29-2019, 05:02 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Read your own article "One of the reasons for that is the city's annual Foreclosure Assistance Program, officials said. To keep homes or businesses off the auction block, lawyers for the city negotiated 800 payment plans with property owners who owed the city taxes, sewer rent, user fees or water bills."

Seems the city is being more flexible with those that owe money rather than just improved conditions, hopefully they take advantage of this opportunity...
The city negotiates every year to knock homes off the list, it is not new. Here is last year's article:

Quote:
More than 3,000 Buffalo properties on list for foreclosure sale
https://buffalonews.com/2018/10/08/m...eclosure-sale/

Still a huge drop this year, even adding in the 800 to the total, compared to 3000.

It isn't necessary to always assert that I am wrong in everything I post - a simple question could have given you clarification. Maybe next time you should just assume that I am right, and if you need more information to understand why, I can provide it.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
The city negotiates every year to knock homes off the list, it is not new. Here is last year's article:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/10/08/m...eclosure-sale/

Still a huge drop this year, even adding in the 800 to the total, compared to 3000.

It isn't necessary to always assert that I am wrong in everything I post - a simple question could have given you clarification. Maybe next time you should just assume that I am right, and if you need more information to understand why, I can provide it.
Yes your 2018 article does reflect that they offer settlement negotiations right up until the auctions starts but that article provided no numbers that were negotiated, the 2019 one did. I never said your wrong I pointed out that the city appears more flexible in resolving the debt with payment plans as the article reflects and I think they were. That was a significant contribution to the lower auction numbers. Of course if I wanted to be negative I would have asked why if 800 properties negotiated payments are they only opening with 370 fewer properties unless the starting number was higher than the year prior???

But I didn't, so don't assume ever posting is an attack

Old 10-29-2019, 07:10 PM

472 posts, read 335,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I have traveled all over the country and NYS has its spots, but I personally prefer the Pacific Northwest and Rockies as well as California. I love the ocean and the New England coast is also gorgeous. The trip from the Pennsylvania border to Buffalo is pretty ugly. The best parts IMHO are the Adirondacks, Catskills and Hudson Valley. The NYC metro I do not care for.
There we go, thank you. Someone else who has actually been around the country, who appreciates landscapes, and is writing a nuanced and accurate summary. And I agree with most of it. And I won’t quibble too much with the parts that I don’t agree with.

The Rocky Mountains, the white sand beaches of Florida, the rocky cliffs of the California coast, and the tropical paradise of Hawaii are world-class, and deserve their spots among the most beautiful places in the country. That much is safe to say.

But then right behind that leader pack, New York State holds its own with the rest of the 40 or so states, in my opinion.

New England is beautiful - but New York State is right next door to New England, and shares much of the same geography and ecology - and NYS is just a lot bigger. NYS can go toe-to-toe with any state in New England for natural beauty, in my opinion. New England has more ocean coastline - but we have the Great Lakes.

The Appalachian Mountains are beautiful all the way down through West Virginia, the Blue Ridge in Virginia, the Smokies in North Carolina, to the tip of Georgia. But we got that, too. The Appalachians run through New York State. In fact, they skip a lot of New England.

The Southeast is wonderful - but much of it is relatively flat river plains. The glaciers never reached that far, so there are none of the interesting features of glaciation like lakes or gorges. The South was also sparsely inhabited until the mid-20th century and the advent of air conditioning, so there are fewer historic towns. As we all know, the Erie Canal brought life all through New York State in the early 1800s.

And as we’ve talked about, the Midwest has a whole lot of flatness and corn fields where there used to be prairie. It has its charm, but I think New York State’s beauty kicks the pants off it.

And then there’s the Southwest. Some people are crazy about the cactus. It has some charm. But looking at miles and miles of treeless, flat, dry desert sand and rock just doesn’t do much for me. It’s like the prairie, only worse. The only saving grace with the Southwest is that mountains cut through a lot of it.

And if you’ve never traveled the country much, please don’t take my word for it. It’s just one guy’s opinion. Get out there and see it yourself. And when you do, you can decide whether you think New York State is among the best. I’ve been traveling around the country, off and on, for several decades now. And I still maintain that New York State is beautiful, among the better states in the country.

You can dump on Buffalo’s tepid economy. You can dump on its snowy winter. I’ll give you that. But you can’t convince me that the Niagara Frontier isn’t one of more the beautiful parts of the country. It’s not world class, like Big Sur. But it’s pretty darned good.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:07 AM

93,172 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Some articles related to this thread...

Buffalo Manufacturing Works opens new location: https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...a-8bd6009e8795

Thinking Robots, Inc. Coming to Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...-commerce-park

43North Announces Contest Finalists: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...est-finalists-

These stats prove that Buffalo’s renaissance is leaving thousands of people behind(snippet and not surprising for "older" cities that can't annex to "water down" its poverty, even those in growing areas): https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/..._news_headline

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-30-2019 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-30-2019, 07:51 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Did we get our moneys worth from the Buffalo Billion(s)?

As I've pointed out before, Solar City promised 3000 jobs, as mentioned multiple times here. Yes, it is one year old, and new announcements have been made. We will see. But, none the less, 3000 jobs and 1500 spin-offs were originally promised.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...n/71-570420590

Old 10-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Looks like Orchard Park may be getting ready to rake their residents over the coals...

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...n-tax-increase

Old 10-30-2019, 12:18 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Looks like Orchard Park may be getting ready to rake their residents over the coals...

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...n-tax-increase
In other news, another troll post arrives on the Buffalo forum.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:23 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Why is this a troll post? They are just pointing out the neverending tax increase in the area.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It must irk you that you can't prescreen the posters, put your rose colored glasses on and pretend it doesn't exist....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area