Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:35 AM

268 posts, read 1,049,823 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'll be working at Canisius College in Fall '08. Although I've already signed the contract, but would still like to get some feedback on what the college is like and how Buffalonians view it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
I went there and its highly respected place.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Very well liked and respected and it draws not only from the US but also many Canadians. I never knew anyone who went there that didn't love it.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 PM

268 posts, read 1,049,823 times
Thank you for your replies.

The reason I asked is that I've been to colleges (Northwestern in Evanston, IL for example) where there is definitely a bit of tension between the college and the town. My job will require me to do a lot of outreach and work with the local high schools teachers so it is important to know if there is anything that might limit my effectiveness.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM

327 posts, read 939,283 times
Thumbs up college well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
Thank you for your replies.

The reason I asked is that I've been to colleges (Northwestern in Evanston, IL for example) where there is definitely a bit of tension between the college and the town. My job will require me to do a lot of outreach and work with the local high schools teachers so it is important to know if there is anything that might limit my effectiveness.
Not at all. This private catholic college is well respected in Buffalo and the Buffalo-Niagara Regions.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:05 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
I have to agree. I graduated from here, although my degree hasn't help me achieve great things, the campus is beautiful and it's well know in the region. Outside of the region and some of the prestigue dies off.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 PM

112 posts, read 436,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I have to agree. I graduated from here, although my degree hasn't help me achieve great things, the campus is beautiful and it's well know in the region. Outside of the region and some of the prestigue dies off.
Totally agree. I went there too and once I moved downstate, it was hard to come by people who knew of Canisius except as "Oh I think I got junk mail from them when I was applying." Now that I've moved to the south, I'm sure my "Canisius College" sticker looks dumb on the back of my car because I doubt anyone here has heard of it. Maybe the "University at Buffalo" sticker on top it will give a clue. Oh well.

It does have a good reputation in Buffalo and draws most of its student from WNY and NY state in general. Also draws a lot of the local Catholic high school grads. I didn't encounter any tension between the College and the town while I lived in WNY.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sent View Post
Totally agree. I went there too and once I moved downstate, it was hard to come by people who knew of Canisius except as "Oh I think I got junk mail from them when I was applying." Now that I've moved to the south, I'm sure my "Canisius College" sticker looks dumb on the back of my car because I doubt anyone here has heard of it. Maybe the "University at Buffalo" sticker on top it will give a clue. Oh well.

It does have a good reputation in Buffalo and draws most of its student from WNY and NY state in general. Also draws a lot of the local Catholic high school grads. I didn't encounter any tension between the College and the town while I lived in WNY.
Don't kid yourself, I live in Charlotte and Canisius is heard of and there's even an alumni chapter. My feels on UB and bufff state, taken or leave um. You can have them I don't want them.

I was so mad that DH didn't salvage my Canisius Alumni License Plate holder hwen it broke. I figure the people in Charlotte know i'm a Yankee because my Alumni stuff says so.

I visited Buffalo one time and this jerk road raged me, I'm sure it's because i had NC plates on my car. I gave him a taste of his own medicine. How dare you road rage me in my home town with Canisius gear all over the car. I ran into so many Buffalonians, espcially when i had canisius gear on and I saw so many saber fans in charlotte. It's like a yankee mecca especially in huntersville.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Canisius is a good school and is known in Charlotte. I always compare it size and location wise to Winthrop, but Winthrop is slightly bigger. Both schools have decent b-ball teams that occasionally make the tourney. I used to deliver pizzas to Canisius all the time, went to several parties there, dated a few girls that went there, etc. Too bad the immediate surrounding area is rough.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:33 PM

112 posts, read 436,758 times
I live in Nashville, not Charlotte. There maybe lots of displaced NYers in Charlotte, but I haven't run into many people from NY in general working at Vanderbilt or in my field. Then again, I'm not walking around with "I heart NY" t-shirts on looking for them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area