Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 07:55 AM

6,392 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Buffalo New 5/31/20:

On Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo Sunday morning, at least a dozen businesses had broken windows as a result of protests that took place Saturday night and early Sunday.

Except for two banks — Bank of America and KeyBank — all the broken store windows were boarded up. Neighbors were out on the street sweeping up glass shards.

Outside Thirsty Buffalo just before 8 a.m., neighbor Jeffrey Lampke said he stopped to clean the sidewalk after getting off work at 7 a.m.

“I don’t like to see this in my city,” Lampke said.

Outside Hodge Liquor, Ashley Smith, the former director of the Elmwood Village Association, Scott Dunkle and others swept glass and debris. Dunkle said he heard protesters going along Bryant Street at 2 a.m.

Julia Spitz, another neighbor cleaning in front of Hodge Liquor and other Elmwood businesses, said she heard helicopters circling above before the curfew took effect at 10:30 p.m. Saturday.

Protests that began peacefully Saturday afternoon in Niagara Square took an ugly turn late Saturday and early Sunday. The results could be seen up and down Elmwood Avenue on Sunday, May 31, 2020

Aftermath of violent protests in Buffalo
Reform Fitness, a shop next to Hodge Liquor, wasn’t damaged, but owner Brittany Gabryel came by to see if she could help the Hodge owner, who is her landlord. Her landlord “has been so amazing through this Covid thing,” Gabryel said.

Gabryel monitored her security system through the late evening, and said she was just concerned that everyone was safe. “As long as people don’t get hurt,” she said.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/31/c...from-protests/

CK, what is your opinion of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 AM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
This is just awful! Poor Rochester is faring far worse unfortunately. I am all for protesting peacefully no matter the reason-it is guaranteed under our Constitution. But destroying businesses (many of which are minority owned) has no place in America. Very disappointed in not just Buffalo, but American urban areas in general. Between COVID and these riots, I expect a lot of large American cities to struggle this decade. Suburbs and exurbs seem pretty safe right now...

Old 05-31-2020, 08:46 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
"Protest", my buns!!!

All across the country, this is nothing more than flat out rioting.............and isn't it strange, that the few who get arrested, wind up being from an area other than the area in which they were arrested???

And speaking of Rochester, I have a dental appointment tomorrow morning, and it's IMPERATIVE that I get there. My dentist's office in on the northeast side of Rochester.......

Old 05-31-2020, 08:58 AM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
"Protest", my buns!!!

All across the country, this is nothing more than flat out rioting.............and isn't it strange, that the few who get arrested, wind up being from an area other than the area in which they were arrested???

And speaking of Rochester, I have a dental appointment tomorrow morning, and it's IMPERATIVE that I get there. My dentist's office in on the northeast side of Rochester.......
True-there is very little protesting left! I would like to know where those being arrested are coming from. According to the politicians, they aren't from Minneapolis or NYC or Atlanta or Buffalo in those respective cities? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
True-there is very little protesting left! I would like to know where those being arrested are coming from. According to the politicians, they aren't from Minneapolis or NYC or Atlanta or Buffalo in those respective cities? Doesn't make any sense to me.
The media is good at supplying a lot of crap to stir people up

Old 05-31-2020, 10:18 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
To be honest, we have to be careful to group the protesters and looters/rioters together. Syracuse had protests, then later in the night there were looters in another part of Downtown(most of the businesses were locally owned). So, that is the thing we have to consider, as they aren’t likely to be one and the same.

Also, I don’t think that the incident that ignited this has much to do with the media versus so much things are just more likely to be caught now via camera phones and taping by regular residents. Sadly, this has been going on for a long time, it just wasn’t caught or proven like it can be today.

With that said, I think things could have been handled better all the way around, as it seems like we don’t want to learn from history. This is not the first time Upstate cities have had riots and what I found interesting is that even smaller Upstate cities like Watertown, Plattsburgh, Corning, Elmira, etc. had protests due to what happened and personal experiences in just living life. So, our country really needs to do better in general.

I will leave people with this and suggest checking out 2 Chronicles 7:11-16(especially 14).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2020 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-31-2020, 06:28 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
We’re in trouble as a country.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:36 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be honest, we have to be careful to group the protesters and looters/rioters together. Syracuse had protests, then later in the night there were looters in another part of Downtown(most of the businesses were locally owned). So, that is the thing we have to consider, as they aren’t likely to be one and the same.

Also, I don’t think that the incident that ignited this has much to do with the media versus so much things are just more likely to be caught now via camera phones and taping by regular residents. Sadly, this has been going on for a long time, it just wasn’t caught or proven like it can be today.

With that said, I think things could have been handled better all the way around, as it seems like we don’t want to learn from history. This is not the first time Upstate cities have had riots and what I found interesting is that even smaller Upstate cities like Watertown, Plattsburgh, Corning, Elmira, etc. had protests due to what happened and personal experiences in just living life. So, our country really needs to do better in general.

I will leave people with this and suggest checking out 2 Chronicles 7:11-16(especially 14).
We have been ignoring God for too long in this country. We worship possessions and celebrity.

We need to go back to humility. Such a harshness in life now, the way we treat others and the seething hatred we have for others who get in our way of "doing our job". That's what led to this disgusting cop doing this to George Floyd. That cauldron of police brutality was boiling for a long time. There are hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos of cops ignoring people's constitutional rights, and those are only the ones caught on video. Imagine what was done in the 90's and before that, when no cameras were around.

Police need to leave people alone unless an actual crime is being committed or they have reasonable suspicion that a crime is about to be committed. Otherwise, leave people alone.

That said, rioting is not the answer. Meeting police violence with random violence, on random people, is not the answer. So, what is the answer? Take the average black man trying to go to work and gets randomly pulled over by a power tripping cop looking to bust him on something. This happens monthly, so eventually he gets fired from his job. As a white person, I can put myself in his shoes and say I wouldn't trust people and I'd feel hopeless.

Couple that with middle class jobs disappearing, the 1% taking all of it, and what hope do people, especially PoC, have in life? What is left? What you are seeing now. People with nothing to lose. No jobs, no prospects, and Covid made it 100x worse. The 1% is ramping up automation as fast as possible. They want it all. So, you're gonna get ALL people with a even smaller slice of the American Pie and PoC with even less. than. that.

Wake up America. We need to embrace one another and fix this! Stop buying their stuff and start buying from your neighbor. Circumvent the 1%. UBI with money coming from the tech companies is the only way for society to move into the future (Andrew Yang predicted this). And get off the phones, look people in the eye, and treat one another like a human being, not pixels on a screen.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:49 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post

In every city, they say they aren't from there. Well, they're from somewhere. They just scattered people to other cities, but don't think for a moment that those people don't exist in every city.

Even if they are 2 separate group. Looters and rioters, I'll bet there's an awful lot of overlap

Old 06-01-2020, 11:03 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
^I’ll put it this way after actually dealing with protests at Syracuse University earlier this year, the actual protesters were already occupying the administration building, but there were others that came in that you can tell involved some other students and non students. So, I can see how there is some overlap in terms of friends of protesters, but also a “hijacking” of the initial cause as well.

I also think that is something people have to consider, as some use an initial and legitimate cause to do unnecessary things.

Planning is also important, as you saw plenty of protests in places big and small across the state, with many being peaceful from start to finish. I think that is something that has to be considered in the future from protesters and officials. With the latter, that was an issue in the SU protests, as people were doing what they were told to do from administrators, but the plan changed so much that public safety officers felt that they were “thrown under the bus”. So, planning is a big key in all of this, across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area