Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,911,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There you go...

Yes, it is only 10% of the criteria, but Buffalo actually was 3rd in terms of proximity to the airport. That could be important for someone that has to travel and is something that hasn't been mentioned in the thread previously.
Buffalo was 24/25 for internet speed. I personally would prefer faster and more reliable internet to 5-10 minutes less drive to the airport. You use the internet all the time and since the article is about working from home it should be much more important than airport proximity IMHO. That being said I had FIOS when we lived there and it was fast and reliable but FIOS is not available everywhere and not in the City of Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 10:19 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Buffalo was 24/25 for internet speed. I personally would prefer faster and more reliable internet to 5-10 minutes less drive to the airport. You use the internet all the time and since the article is about working from home it should be much more important than airport proximity IMHO. That being said I had FIOS when we lived there and it was fast and reliable but FIOS is not available everywhere and not in the City of Buffalo.
Perhaps, but Spectrum isn't too bad and to be fair, this is relative.

Also, in terms of the list is the cost of living, in which Buffalo is actually 2nd. Parks being ranked 10th puts it above most on the list as well.

Food delivery options in the city was ranked 16th.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, but Spectrum isn't too bad and to be fair, this is relative.

Also, in terms of the list is the cost of living, in which Buffalo is actually 2nd. Parks being ranked 10th puts it above most on the list as well.

Food delivery options in the city was ranked 16th.
Food delivery ratings are meaningless since COVID. Its everywhere now.

What internet provider do you have CK? We have Comcast here and its pretty good.

The parks are per capita so the reduced population has given the area a higher score.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:40 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Ah, I see.

I was basically commenting as a result of one of your snarky responses to an earlier poster where you stated: "One day you will just admit that the taxes are outrageous rather than song and dance as you always do."

"Admit that taxes are outrageous..." C'mon man. I pointed out that taxes are different everywhere, and then you gave a bunch of bogus reasons why Buffalo - the city referenced in the title - shouldn't "count" because of this/that/other. The way I see it, your perspective ended at the city line, and I was adding data and context to show why it should matter.

As far as people "suffering from their decisions" - the people of the towns are the ones that elect their school boards and determine budgets. They need to take it up with their neighbors if they want to make changes. But it is a rare, rare day when people vote to cut school funding in their communities.
My "snarky response" is to another poster not you but own it if you like. Just like your city gets subsidized because the schools are so poor as reflected by other posters that you aren't paying the full share of taxes on them but that's ok for you.

Every metric shows NY State as having the worst or near worst tax obligations in the country but keep denying it because you don't experience it or acknowledge it when you stated "So quit saying that THE WHOLE STATE is expensive then. As far as I am concerned the higher taxed areas are the exception because I don't live there."

I never said "suffering from their decisions", You perceive anyone who want a different QOL or Better Schools as being the ones suffering because "No one is forcing anyone else to live in a higher taxed locale."

Old 08-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Food delivery ratings are meaningless since COVID. Its everywhere now.

What internet provider do you have CK? We have Comcast here and its pretty good.

The parks are per capita so the reduced population has given the area a higher score.
Spectrum and it is usually good, but lately there have been issues. That is likely what is used in Buffalo.

Given that Buffalo is still not that much smaller than many of the metro areas listed in terms of population, that is still pretty good. If it is city limits, Buffalo still has more people than a few of the other cities and is the smallest in land area(40 square miles). So, considering that, it is actually remarkable.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-25-2020 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Spectrum and it is usually good, but lately there have been issues. That is likely what is used in Buffalo.

Given that Buffalo is still not that much smaller than many of the metro areas listed in terms of population, that is still pretty good. If it is city limits, Buffalo still has more people than a few of the other cities and is the smallest in land area(40 square miles). So, considering that, it is actually remarkable.
Just think if they hadn't built the Scajaquada Expressway and ruined one of the greatest parks designed by the master Frederick Law Olmsted. Imagine Frank Loyd Wrights masterpiece Larkin Administration Building drawing tourists by the thousands instead of the parking lot it is today, 70 years later.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 08-25-2020 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 02:36 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
My "snarky response" is to another poster not you but own it if you like. Just like your city gets subsidized because the schools are so poor as reflected by other posters that you aren't paying the full share of taxes on them but that's ok for you.

Every metric shows NY State as having the worst or near worst tax obligations in the country but keep denying it because you don't experience it or acknowledge it when you stated "So quit saying that THE WHOLE STATE is expensive then. As far as I am concerned the higher taxed areas are the exception because I don't live there."

I never said "suffering from their decisions", You perceive anyone who want a different QOL or Better Schools as being the ones suffering because "No one is forcing anyone else to live in a higher taxed locale."
You seem to be confused - this is a Buffalo thread, not the NY State thread.

Using NY State in a Buffalo thread as a comparison to other places is a disingenuous comparison since NYC skews the numbers for all other cities.

Buffalo and WNY is in NY State, but it does not share the higher tax burden of downstate NYC and adjacent counties. There is no city income tax (that's a 30% to 50% reduction compared to NYC). NYC has a higher median income, so they pay more as a percentage (higher bracket) and more in dollars (higher total income). NYC also pays higher property taxes based on higher assessments.

I do pay "my fair share" of taxes because I pay what the law and tax code demands - that's what the state and city have determined it to be.

If you want to discuss "NY State having the worst or near worst..." then I suggest a better place to take it is the NY State forum. You won't be alone there. This is the Buffalo forum.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:57 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
/\

Whatever keep talking to yourself because there is only about 3 of you on a good week and one of those 3 isn't even living in Buffalo....

Old 08-25-2020, 05:56 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Whatever keep talking to yourself because there is only about 3 of you on a good week and one of those 3 isn't even living in Buffalo....
I was talking to you. Do you have a counter-point? You have to acknowledge that I am right, though.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 AM

If not from home, this will be a new option later this year...

Serendipity Labs welcomes co-working customers to a spectacular view of the city(snippet, with more info): https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...f-buffalo.html

https://serendipitylabs.com/us/ny/buffalo-downtown/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area