Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 02:46 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to get the feel for what people are thinking, as New York now isolates itself from 35-37 states at any given day.

All travelers in to the state must quarantine for 14 days.

I live in a Restricted state, and haven't been able to visit family at all this year.

Also, family has not been able to come down and see me.

Most folks don't take 14 day trips anywhere, we like to fly up to new york for a few days to make the rounds.

With Thanksgiving and the Holidays coming up, what are you all thinking?

I asked this question on another forum, and I received tons of negative messages, saying I came from a dirty state, and that New York is great and so is Cuomo, for protecting the people.

I wonder, what kind of an economic impact does it have on the area for isolating most of the country from coming to visit?

What gets me, is there is no option to present a negative covid-19 test.

This may be the lost year after all.

Do folks agree with what the Governor is doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 03:16 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Yes, but understand that even though I agree in principle it is really not enforceable. No one will stop you at the state line, or do an in-home check to see if you are following the rules. It is really by the honor system. People aren't not traveling here because of the restrictions (except foreigners including Canadians), they are choosing not to travel.

Our family has considered what to do, and we all agree that not having relatives travel to NY from a restricted state is the prudent thing to do, for everyone's sake. People still do get sick, and we have vulnerable relatives that we do not want to put at risk, let alone the stress that they have expressed in traveling cross-country, sharing a plane with others, and transferring at another airport.

If your governor can get a handle on bringing your state's COVID rate down, then NY will ease restrictions. But again, no one is stopping you, or anyone in the US, from traveling to NY. People I meet every day here are VERY concerned that the rate of infection not spike back up, as businesses are just getting back on their feet. They would rather that people from areas of higher infections just stay away.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
our Governor is a moron. He keeps saying the Feds are the ones playing politics with the virus... that’s a laugh riot right there.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:58 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
our Governor is a moron. He keeps saying the Feds are the ones playing politics with the virus... that’s a laugh riot right there.

He even wrote a book, about what a hero he was. Meanwhile Trump provided a hospital ship, a hospital in the Javits Center, and one in Central Park. Instead, he sent patients to nursing homes where they died. He's begging Trump for money, while calling him names. Time for some leadership, Andrew.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:36 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Cuomo is doing a great job just ask the fool.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:41 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Looks like the Guard has activated to enforce the ban

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...uA2WErFWIFD8Tk

Old 10-16-2020, 02:38 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Looks like the Guard has activated to enforce the ban

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...uA2WErFWIFD8Tk
Good. I hope NY's numbers stay down. I understand that cases are now rising in 44 states.

Today I found out that both parents of one of our friends in Idaho now have COVID, and one is hospitalized and not doing well. They were deniers and had been refusing to wear masks, but continued socializing freely. A LOT of people had been exposed to them. The mother of our same friend's sister-in-law in Idaho also died in June after getting ill in a nursing home and being released to her family, had COVID symptoms, but was never tested. The family refused all testing and all precautions because they believed COVID was a political hoax.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:40 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Have family in from the Seattle area currently...they rescheduled their trip from the summer, when Washington had been on the list (they actually turned around mid-drive upon learning that WA had been added to the quarantine list, in North Dakota or something). I have a friend who travels a ton and has continued to travel a lot during the pandemic, mostly to Las Vegas, and he AFAIK gave a false address when he returned to Buffalo last trip so that he wouldn't be contacted by um 'quarantine enforcers'. I play a good amount of poker and there were several people defying quarantine within the past couple weeks--these guys had gone to Vegas for the weekend of the Bills game and were not quarantining as asked. One turned off the GPS on his phone to protect against being located as 'away from home'. As RocketSci alluded to, it certainly seems to be an 'on your honor' system here (although I'll have to check out that National Guard article...).

Old 10-17-2020, 05:34 PM

275 posts, read 285,487 times
We moved from NY to NV in August. We drove so no issues with distancing. Definitely saw people, in other states, not worrying about masks or distancing. Even though there were official signs everywgere.

I feel it can be an issue if you fly. They'll be able to see your timeline. Nevada was off Cuomos list for a week but was re-added. My sister has been taking care of our cat. She's flying out early November. She will have to quarantine when she gets home but, she works from home so no biggie. Just hope she's safe in the plane.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:36 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
We normally go to the Adirondacks for a few days this time of year but we didn't go this year because of the Governors quarantine policies. I'm not travelling that far to sit in a hotel room and look out the window, i'm sure a lot of the seasonal travel dollars has been lost this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area