Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 09:49 AM

50 posts, read 52,719 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how long do you guys think it will take for Buffalo to revitalize itself and possibly become another cosmopolitan city in New York State (obviously not on the same level as NYC, since that's basically impossible almost) because I think Buffalo has potential to be fantastic because geographically it's probably in one of the best locations. Lake Erie, Niagara Falls, a short drive to Toronto, and not too far away, the Appalachian Mountains and Lake Ontario. I've been hearing that they're trying to change their game plan on the industry that will run Buffalo. So I'm wondering what you guys are thinking. Will Buffalo make a comeback and have these diverse set of facilities and have a big diverse culture within it and be a big bustling cosmopolitan anytime soon? If so, how long do you guys think it will take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 10:51 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thr0waway9087654322343546 View Post
I was wondering how long do you guys think it will take for Buffalo to revitalize itself and possibly become another cosmopolitan city in New York State (obviously not on the same level as NYC, since that's basically impossible almost) because I think Buffalo has potential to be fantastic because geographically it's probably in one of the best locations. Lake Erie, Niagara Falls, a short drive to Toronto, and not too far away, the Appalachian Mountains and Lake Ontario. I've been hearing that they're trying to change their game plan on the industry that will run Buffalo. So I'm wondering what you guys are thinking. Will Buffalo make a comeback and have these diverse set of facilities and have a big diverse culture within it and be a big bustling cosmopolitan anytime soon? If so, how long do you guys think it will take?
History says it never will become a big crowded bustling cosmopolitan city any time soon, as it no longer has the geographic importance that it had in the 19th and early 20th centuries as the terminus of Great Lakes shipping, the east coast canals and railroads, proximity to the nation's population center, or the gateway to western migration. Its current demographics, with its low birth rate, also mean that it would take a large influx of young people and over a decade before seeing any significant change.

That's not to say it can't or won't grow and infill as a fine mid-American city, and couldn't continue to rise faster or higher than other Great Lakes and mid-American cities hurt by deindustrialization over time, but the major population and industrialization shifts of this country don't favor northern cities anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see what the patterns of migration during and after COVID will show. The big cities of the East and West Coasts appear to be showing losses of people as indicated by drops in housing demand and prices, but many interior cities like Buffalo are showing higher demand and rising prices. There are several people that I know (myself included) who have moved to Buffalo (or back to Buffalo in my case) in just the last year or two from more crowded cities. The impacts from loss of foreign immigration will be big this year and probably next, and will have to see if US policies (and its desirability to immigrants) recover after the last four years of anti-immigrant and anti-refugee efforts nationally.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:13 AM

50 posts, read 52,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
History says it never will become a big crowded bustling cosmopolitan city any time soon, as it no longer has the geographic importance that it had in the 19th and early 20th centuries as the terminus of Great Lakes shipping, the east coast canals and railroads, proximity to the nation's population center, or the gateway to western migration. Its current demographics, with its low birth rate, also mean that it would take a large influx of young people and over a decade before seeing any significant change.

That's not to say it can't or won't grow and infill as a fine mid-American city, and couldn't continue to rise faster or higher than other Great Lakes and mid-American cities hurt by deindustrialization over time, but the major population and industrialization shifts of this country don't favor northern cities anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see what the patterns of migration during and after COVID will show. The big cities of the East and West Coasts appear to be showing losses of people as indicated by drops in housing demand and prices, but many interior cities like Buffalo are showing higher demand and rising prices. There are several people that I know (myself included) who have moved to Buffalo (or back to Buffalo in my case) in just the last year or two from more crowded cities. The impacts from loss of foreign immigration will be big this year and probably next, and will have to see if US policies (and its desirability to immigrants) recover after the last four years of anti-immigrant and anti-refugee efforts nationally.
Yeah hopefully the government there puts a high emphasis on Buffalo because it does seem like NYC has been the immigrant hub for decades, and even though it's gonna stay that way alongside LA, I hope Cuomo even pretty much builds a new program for Buffalo to bring in skilled and professional immigrants in case they have problems in NYC due to whatever problems immigrants could face in a big and expensive city like NYC. Because I feel like that could definitely help the growth of Buffalo even further. I feel that if they have a similar program as in NYC, but they don't gentrify Buffalo too much in the process, Buffalo could become an extremely thriving yet relatively affordable city. Because I expect Buffalo's pricing to go up and be a little expensive if it grows a lot, but it should be pretty good I hope with wages for both white collar and blue collar workers to live comfortably.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:36 AM

25 posts, read 20,968 times
Born and raised. Moved back twice and now been away for 15 years. This place will not get any better until they get rid of the stinking politicians. Nothing gets done and yet the people still elect idiots over and over again. It is painfully Pathetic to see.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:05 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
^While not perfect, you must not be aware of the development taking place with help from funds from the state. So, there have been improvements taking place.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:16 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
The downtown area in Buffalo has come a long way.

There is actually some stuff to see and do, and its no longer a total dump.

I don't think of it as a cosmopolitan city at all, mostly blue collar worker, and Lager style beer and pizza/wings/subs.

I always love to fly to Buffalo for a few weeks a year, but I'm always damn glad to get back on the plane to Texas because I would never want to live there again. There just isn't enough to do that I enjoy, and the poor weather does me in every time.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Never.

Buffalo never will be as long as it's in NY state.

The best buffalo can ever hope for is to tread water or might slight improvement in certain sectors or neighborhoods.

Being in NY ruins any chance at being an up and coming city. It's not going happen. People flat out are leaving NY as an exodus.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:18 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
^The population aspect will be interesting given the estimates so far: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...Y,US/PST045219

Old 01-31-2021, 01:48 PM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
^those are 2 year old estimates. Lets wait for the hard numbers before drawing any conclusions.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:04 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Never.

Buffalo never will be as long as it's in NY state.

The best buffalo can ever hope for is to tread water or might slight improvement in certain sectors or neighborhoods.

Being in NY ruins any chance at being an up and coming city. It's not going happen. People flat out are leaving NY as an exodus.
If Buffalo wasn't in NY it would more resemble a Toledo or a Dayton, at best, or a Youngstown or Flint at worst. Buffalo receives more than it gives in state taxes. Buffalo colleges benefit from downstate students, and Buffalo area prisons are filled with downstate prisoners. Buffalo has even shown a positive migration of people from NYC, and this was before COVID hit.

Downstate has subsidized and supported upstate cities to a much higher degree than the "costs" of being in NY state.

Differences in outcome have less to do with state government and more to do with local geography, industrial history, and demographics. Youngstown and Columbus are in the same state, for example, with a hugely different history of growth and decay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area