Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 06:24 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting information about Buffalo once having mayoral control of schools. I know that an education based radio show that I listen to out of the city mentioned the idea of looking into this again, but I wonder what that would look like.
What is this radio show, so others can tune in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 10:52 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
What is this radio show, so others can tune in?
It is a show I post in the Upstate African American thread called We The Parents. You can view it on Facebook as well(enter in We The Parents WNY). I believe they mentioned the idea a couple of shows ago and it comes on WUFO on Saturday mornings at 10 and hosted by Sam Radford, a big education advocate. I usually listen, time permitting.

Here is the list of recent shows: https://www.facebook.com/We-The-Pare...7433232610751/ (I want to say that it is mentioned during the show on the 19th)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-27-2021 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
It is a show I post in the Upstate African American thread called We The Parents. You can view it on Facebook as well(enter in We The Parents WNY). I believe they mentioned the idea a couple of shows ago and it comes on WUFO on Saturday mornings at 10 and hosted by Sam Radford, a big education advocate. I usually listen, time permitting.

Here is the list of recent shows: https://www.facebook.com/We-The-Pare...7433232610751/ (I want to say that it is mentioned during the show on the 19th)

Wow it must not be heard very far. It has the same frequency as the very popular rock station in Rochester, 96.5. Isn't there an urban station in Buffalo 92.7, or thereabouts?

Old 06-27-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Wow it must not be heard very far. It has the same frequency as the very popular rock station in Rochester, 96.5. Isn't there an urban station in Buffalo 92.7, or thereabouts?
Yes, 93.7 WBLK is the major FM urban station. I listen to it via the TuneIn app. I’m not sure if it is heard further out on 1080 AM, but I would listen to it on the app or on the WUFO website.

This why I post these radio shows, because they can have information about Buffalo or any of the other Upstate cities that people don’t think about and have some very good insight.

For instance, the Vision of Hope show before this show at 9 AM had an interview with India Walton about 2 or 3 weeks ago that I posted in that Upstate African American thread as well. So, I tried to help give folks some insight about what she would offer as a candidate. I’ll try to post that as well.

Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...composer=false

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-27-2021 at 06:13 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 04:08 PM

No surprise here(except for who is backing him)…

Mayor Byron Brown pursuing write-in campaign for November general election: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...paign-decision

Old 06-28-2021, 04:38 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
No surprise here(except for who is backing him)…

Mayor Byron Brown pursuing write-in campaign for November general election: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...paign-decision
Why is that a surprise?

"Walton issued a statement Monday following Mayor Brown's announcement, saying:

"Byron Brown’s decision to run a write-in campaign supported by Carl Paladino and the PBA is deeply disappointing. Brown can attempt to distance himself from Paladino all he wants, but it is clear who is really behind this campaign. We urge Brown to accept the will of the voters, end this futile campaign, and help us work towards a seamless transition. It would be a shame for Brown to ruin his legacy by partnering with right-wing real estate developers in this pointless effort. The people of Buffalo deserve so much better than this.”

Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
I would vote for Brown, if I could. Buffalo might become Portland if Walton gets in.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Why is that a surprise?

"Walton issued a statement Monday following Mayor Brown's announcement, saying:

"Byron Brown’s decision to run a write-in campaign supported by Carl Paladino and the PBA is deeply disappointing. Brown can attempt to distance himself from Paladino all he wants, but it is clear who is really behind this campaign. We urge Brown to accept the will of the voters, end this futile campaign, and help us work towards a seamless transition. It would be a shame for Brown to ruin his legacy by partnering with right-wing real estate developers in this pointless effort. The people of Buffalo deserve so much better than this.”
I said no surprise. Meaning, the write was expected…Being supported by Carl Paladino may come as the surprise in this though.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I said no surprise. Meaning, the write was expected…Being supported by Carl Paladino may come as the surprise in this though.
Why is this a surprise?

Old 06-29-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
Nonsense.

It's not particularly surprising because it's a case of "better the devil we know". Paladino and his pal, former Buffalo mayor, Tony Masiello, are both part of Buffalo's "old guard" political machine, which opposed Brown at first but came to an accommodation with him. Both are supporting Brown because if Walton wins, she's likely to totally freeze out the old guard.

Palladino also apparently has some personal animosity towards Walton.
This sums up my thoughts about what is going on and the “devil you know” comment makes a lot of sense.

For those thinking that Paladino is some long time ally of Brown, you are kidding yourselves. Hence, my statement and others knew exactly what I meant.

More related to the thread…

Q&A with India Walton: All Buffalo city workers will need to reapply for their jobs: https://nystateofpolitics.com/state-...for-their-jobs

Carl Paladino not running for Buffalo mayor, but wants to 'destroy' India Walton's candidacy: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...on-s-candidacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area