Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 06:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 4,106,092 times

Advertisements

About 5 years ago I was paying about $16,000 for a 368,000 assessment in Greece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 07:24 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of this depends on the homeowner, as some may have tax exemptions(think Veterans, Enhanced STAR, etc.) or it could be a matter of the neighborhood/part of the area you live in. I say this as someone whose parents are retired and have been in the same house for almost 43 years in a highly regarded school district.

Also, that number for that home price and in turn, the property taxes are actually well above average in the area, which gets to my point. https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...-affordability

https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tor#UL5zrpcCn8

$400k is only 10k above the median in an area like Jacksonville, while the median is $260k in the Buffalo area.
Again, for those not familiar, property tax rates will vary by county, town, school district, etc. So, what one or two people state can be something different for someone else. So, to use the parent's home for an example, due to 3 property tax exemptions, they pay $4200 for a home assessed at $165k, with the school tax portion making up about 75% of the total property tax. Keep in mind that this is a household of retirees and in a school district that is widely viewed as being one of the better SDs in the area. In my case, I have a property assessed a little bit lower and pay less in property taxes, while getting a Veterans and STAR exemption in a solid/good SD. So, this illustrates that things will vary based on other factors.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:50 PM

6,433 posts, read 4,926,582 times
I don't think anyone disputes the fact that the property taxes are outrageous in WNY. A million dollar house in Florida has less taxes than a 400k house in WNY. People are also hurt by the lower house appreciation in WNY, so when they move they are shocked by the prices. I lost money on my Buffalo house after 11 years and all the upgrades in a highly sought after area with excellent schools. If we were moving to Florida today, we could not even begin to afford anything like we currently live in.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I don't think anyone disputes the fact that the property taxes are outrageous in WNY. A million dollar house in Florida has less taxes than a 400k house in WNY. People are also hurt by the lower house appreciation in WNY, so when they move they are shocked by the prices. I lost money on my Buffalo house after 11 years and all the upgrades in a highly sought after area with excellent schools. If we were moving to Florida today, we could not even begin to afford anything like we currently live in.
Tax rates are higher, but the total home prices are just lower. Hence, the likely reason the area made the list.

You also have to think of what you can get at a certain price by area. Meaning, what may be $1 million in an area in FL, may only be 2/3rds the price in the Buffalo area, given median home prices.

Some may also say that the services vary between what the taxes pay for in Buffalo, given snow removal, the school tax aspect(think of staff), maintenance due to weather, etc.

Also, when looking at income, Buffalo would be higher than many areas in the South according to this source that is based on Annual Average Wage: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

Hence, the higher housing opportunity index list: https://www.nahb.org/news-and-econom...ortunity-index (Again, look at Complete Listing by Affordability Rank)

Again, all of this will depend on one's situation and other factors, but the point of the article is in relation to information like the opportunity index presents.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:35 PM

None of this changes the fact that the property taxes are outrageous. As your house appreciates your tax bill increases and the area has substandard appreciation rates which are fine if you never move. The lower price of the house is negated by the higher property taxes which factors into your monthly budget. Lets say I moved to Florida 10 years ago and bought a house for 300k, that house is most likely worth 600k and my tax bill is around 2k because of the save my home amendment. Lets say my twin brother bought a house in Buffalo 10 years ago for 300k and that house is worth around 450-500k and my tax bill is 9-10k. We have the same mortgage payment but mine has stayed the same and his rose substantially because of the tax increase. My tax bill is around 150/month and his is around 7-800/month. No amount of indexes or studies can get around these basic facts

Old 01-18-2024, 04:39 PM

11,813 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Taxes on our house in the town built in 1054 ran around $4600 - small 3 bdrm ranch - we're in Alabama now and my son pays less than $800 on a house 2 times as large, 17 yrs old and estimated to sell for over $300,000. Granted he has to pay $30 for garbage pickup each month - but that's it. My school taxes use to be less than 1/2 the county taxes - now they are more than the county taxes if we didn't jhave the STAR program and how many schools have shut down.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Taxes on our house in the town built in 1054 ran around $4600 - small 3 bdrm ranch - we're in Alabama now and my son pays less than $800 on a house 2 times as large, 17 yrs old and estimated to sell for over $300,000. Granted he has to pay $30 for garbage pickup each month - but that's it. My school taxes use to be less than 1/2 the county taxes - now they are more than the county taxes if we didn't jhave the STAR program and how many schools have shut down.
School Taxes are always more than County taxes, as they make up the biggest portion of property taxes.

You also have to consider the type of community that is being compared as well.

As for the other post, again, property tax rates are high in part due to the lower housing prices and property taxes will vary by many factors. So, given the higher housing prices everywhere, this is really a matter of either paying more to the bank or a little to the government for services, some of which aren't necessary in some states. With that said, the housing opportunity is still higher when looking at income in relation to home prices.

NY also has the 2% Tax Cap: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publicati...guidelines.pdf

https://www.osc.ny.gov/press/release...2-percent-2024

Old 01-19-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
School Taxes are always more than County taxes, as they make up the biggest portion of property taxes.

You also have to consider the type of community that is being compared as well.

As for the other post, again, property tax rates are high in part due to the lower housing prices and property taxes will vary by many factors. So, given the higher housing prices everywhere, this is really a matter of either paying more to the bank or a little to the government for services, some of which aren't necessary in some states. With that said, the housing opportunity is still higher when looking at income in relation to home prices.

NY also has the 2% Tax Cap: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publicati...guidelines.pdf

https://www.osc.ny.gov/press/release...2-percent-2024
Taxes are high because NYS spends more per student than any other state. When you factor in lack of price appreciation, its not really a bargain since your taxes will rise as your house increases in value. When you retire or lose your job, the high taxes become a huge burden and if you decide to relocate you will be hampered by the lack of price appreciation vs other areas. I pay less in taxes now for an infinitely nicer house and they have only gone up a few percent in 7 years.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Taxes are high because NYS spends more per student than any other state. When you factor in lack of price appreciation, its not really a bargain since your taxes will rise as your house increases in value. When you retire or lose your job, the high taxes become a huge burden and if you decide to relocate you will be hampered by the lack of price appreciation vs other areas. I pay less in taxes now for an infinitely nicer house and they have only gone up a few percent in 7 years.
You also have to factor in teacher/staff requirements and the unions.

Again, the tax aspect depends on the homeowner, as some homeowners have/get exemptions that others don't. It isn't a "one size, fits all" situation. You may have one experience, but I already gave a real world example in terms of my retired parents and there are others that make due. Let alone that some have lower taxes than others. So, this is why I said that the homeowner has to take many factors into consideration.

You also can lose your job in these lower property tax states and have a bigger mortgage to pay. So, that goes both ways. Let alone the bigger booms and busts.

The fact still remains that the housing opportunity index is higher in the Buffalo area, even with the property tax rate.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-19-2024 at 08:15 AM..

Old 01-19-2024, 08:57 AM

5,720 posts, read 4,106,092 times
Quote:
You also have to factor in teacher/staff requirements and the unions.

Again, the tax aspect depends on the homeowner, as some homeowners have/get exemptions that others don't. It isn't a "one size, fits all" situation. You may have one experience, but I already gave a real world example in terms of my retired parents and there are others that make due. Let alone that some have lower taxes than others. So, this is why I said that the homeowner has to take many factors into consideration.

When comparing taxes between regions, it would be helpful to compare the actual tax BEFORE any exemptions. Anyone qualifying for an exemption can then plug it in for their personal situation.

The fact that NYS has these exemptions is proof that our "leaders" know they are overcharging us, and is just political gamesmanship as NYS becomes more and more unaffordable, as they avoid getting to the root of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area