Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM

578 posts, read 2,090,768 times

Advertisements

Hi, being from out the area, I was very curious about the loyalty Buffalo has for MLB and NBA teams.

1) Which MLB team is most popular?
Yanks/Mets/Sox/Jays/Indians/Pirates

2) To what extent..are we talking very split or highly partisan towards say New York?

3) For the NBA, I had the same question.
Is this Knicks/Celtics/Raptors base or none?

4) What teams do you get aired locally on television?
-Just New York, or NESN and others too?

5) Is there a changing shift?

6) To me...it would make most sense for the Buffalo region to be strongly in favor the Yankees over the Red Sox since they are in the same state and distance is not a factor.
Buffalo gets the Yankees teams not the Sox.

At the same...I would think the Jays would have a base being the closest...90 miles away...and maybe the Pirates and Indians would since they are also closer than the Yanks and Sox.

Yet when I looked at this map link...it showed the area to have little presence of the Jays/Pirates/and Indians.
First...is this accurate with it being a Yanks base...and then...do the Jays/Pirates/Indians have any base here...more than the Sox...if not...why given proximity?

CommonCensus Sports Map Project

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Actually, Indians, Yankees and mets games come on this channel in the area:RTN 11 / WNGS-TV: Buffalo's Home for Classic TV and Western New York Sports

I think the Toronto teams get somewhat of a following in the are, as that is the closest major metro to Buffalo and CBC is available in the area, as that is the station the Jays come on at times. Empire Sports, which signed off in 2005, used to show some Raptors games too. So, I would think the Jays and Raptors get fans from the Buffalo area. Same with the NYC teams and I think the area gets the Madison Square Garden Network on cable. We don't get NESN in Upstate NY, from my knowledge. If any area in Upstate has fans and Boston sports coverage at all, it's most likely the Albany area.

One more thing, here are some sports networks available to the area:MSG Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SportsNet New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Time Warner Sports 26 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a former station:Empire Sports Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They also get FSN too and I'm not sure if they get these two networks too:
Rogers Sportsnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sports Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-21-2008 at 08:06 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM

259 posts, read 885,476 times
Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Indians, Jays,others.

Yankees have a large following.
Being a Mets fan myself, and wearing a Mets hat around town I get lots of "I'm a Mets fan". There are more around than you might think. We get about 150 Mets games a year on TV between SNY, RTN11 & Fox.
I find that many Red Sox fans became so in rebellion against the many Yankee fans.
The Indians have been the parent club of the Buffalo Bisons for many years and have a good following to to player recognition.
Jays games are the closest.

As for the NBA. After what they did to us with the Braves in the 70's they can keep their game. I couldn't care less.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM

922 posts, read 3,849,922 times
For basketball, it seems like the colleges - Niagara, Canisius, and St. Bonaventure - get way more attention than the NBA.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:43 PM

225 posts, read 713,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
For basketball, it seems like the colleges - Niagara, Canisius, and St. Bonaventure - get way more attention than the NBA.
Thank god they do, NBA just blows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area