Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 13,738 times

Advertisements

while I can certainly understand your point about community, you may want to consider that your community is bleeding you dry:

Paid any closing costs lately? Buffalo's mortgage closing costs are third-highest in a nationwide survey : Latest Local News : The Buffalo News (broken link)

Buffalo has the third-highest mortgage closing costs among 55 cities in all 50 states and Washington, D.C, according to a survey by Bankrate.com.

I shudder to think what happens when you factor in property taxes (A $200K home is taxed at more than $8200/year - http://www.ecidany.com/tax_calculator_results.asp (broken link))

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
Houston is an awful place to live
Have you lived there?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,345,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbossman2 View Post
while I can certainly understand your point about community, you may want to consider that your community is bleeding you dry:

Paid any closing costs lately? Buffalo's mortgage closing costs are third-highest in a nationwide survey : Latest Local News : The Buffalo News (broken link)

Buffalo has the third-highest mortgage closing costs among 55 cities in all 50 states and Washington, D.C, according to a survey by Bankrate.com.

I shudder to think what happens when you factor in property taxes (A $200K home is taxed at more than $8200/year - http://www.ecidany.com/tax_calculator_results.asp (broken link))

Well, if you can find a cheaper place to live and a great community atmosphere with a good average income better than Buffalo's, okay. But Buffalo is my home and I would'nt trade it for the world

Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM

225 posts, read 715,874 times
Did Forbes consider the surburbs with Buffalo as well.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd51 View Post
No. Just the city it'self. Buffalo Suburbs are not ying - in fact some are booming - like Clarence/Amherst/Williamsville, etc. That wouldn't make sense if they included Buffalo's suburbs in that rating for Buffalo.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 PM

225 posts, read 715,874 times
Seems like alot of new buildings being built downtown. Is it still snowing there as well. I hear that all the time from the idiots in Charlotte

Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Seems like alot of new buildings being built downtown. Is it still snowing there as well. I hear that all the time from the idiots in Charlotte
What? Snowing? Hardly. It's beautiful in the 70s and 80s. We are the sunniest city in the northeast - and the most comfortable for summertime highs.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbossman2 View Post
(A $200K home is taxed at more than $8200/year - http://www.ecidany.com/tax_calculator_results.asp (broken link))
Uhm....so don't buy a $200k+ home?

Buy a $100k home.. or $70k home
Just throwing that out there

Old 08-09-2008, 05:45 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
The major problem in Buffalo is the inner city and rentals w/absentee landlords... it attracts trash... much used to be all middle class and now has turned since the 1960s ( my husband was born on E. Ferry and lived on E. Deleven until he got an apt. in the 1960s, His parents lived on Garner & then Elmwood [when the rich lived on Ashland and streets abutting Delaware Park],his grandmother on Goodyear and g-grandmother in the Fruit Belt and on Genesee near the city... at the time, all were good working class areas... but neither he nor I go near them now, except the Elmwood area one.

Consider urban sprawl for absentee landlords and the trash that moves in ( of any group) and you get the areas which rate Buffalo in the pits. My husband says the city deteriorated and went to garbage when they built the 33 expressway which essentially divided political areas and the sell off was on the " inner ring". You can easily kill a city like that. It affected all areas as expressways cut neighborhoods in pieces. Did you know you used to be able to rent a horse at the stable on Amherst at Lincoln Pkwy.in the 1950s and ride on the Olmstead parkways to the Botanical Gardens? We had friends who remember doing it as young kids. Put in the expys. and no more...In the 1950s, people built in Tonawanda ( still w/buses)& in the 60s, you had the first large "flight" -- people moved of N. Buffalo to Williamsville in the Klein/N. Forest area.( few buses) All depleted the city of people with good jobs. Keep public transist limited so the people from the city don't go outward for jobs.So, what do you get? Lower income and a downturn in the city. Now, people are renovating in the core of the city; it weon't be revitalized until the core build outward... somewhat like the Elmwood area ( which was trash in the 1960s). Until you truly trash the inner city, and build safe areas which are not income subsidized for sale and are safe,this won't be a thriving area for middle class. ( and then where do the people from that area go?)You also then need a core of stores there. Going to Wegman's all the way up on Amherst isn't it. I came when there were 7 dept. stores in downtown.. no more. I don't even go there any more unless I have to. Malls have closed - anyone remember the AM&A's at Main and Kenmore or the nice plaza with it? Much classier than what it is now. Or Hengerers at Eggert and Bailey? Probably not. Good shopping, now gone. Drive people out as you close stores. Build strip plazas so old ones are emnpty and businesses are with a newer address ( best example is Sheridan Drive in Amherst)........

Face it people, sprawl has to stop before Buffalo can come back. It is starting, only it has a long way to go. I disagree with most of the Forbes article, only unless they added the burbs to the article, it wasn't going to be a positive.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:54 AM

260 posts, read 977,096 times
Quote:
Its not fair to Buffalo to not put syr in Forbes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area