Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

You need a Master's Degree to teach in NYS public before you start a position.

As for Buffalo public, I wouldn't recommend it. Very poor and gang life is rampant.

I'd go for the suburbs, if you can find a job, that is. The employment outlook is very poor here.

Move south: less taxes, more jobs with less educational requirements, and better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 PM

26 posts, read 66,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recash4 View Post
You need a Master's Degree to teach in NYS public before you start a position.

As for Buffalo public, I wouldn't recommend it. Very poor and gang life is rampant.

I'd go for the suburbs, if you can find a job, that is. The employment outlook is very poor here.

Move south: less taxes, more jobs with less educational requirements, and better weather.
You do NOT need your Masters BEFORE starting to teach in NYS. You will need to complete your Masters I think it is within 3 or 5 years (not positive of time frame) of receiving your NYS certification though. Here is a link to the NYS Dept of Education so you can check out the requirements for yourself.

Incidentally, my brother and I grew up in the "burbs". My brother has a teaching position at Hutch Tech. He lives in the City and loves his city school teaching job.

As far as the Buffalo "employment outlook", my husband just got a high paying IT industry job...in this pitiful National economy and in December. He starts Monday!

Today's weather was really nice. My kids enjoyed a nice sunny day ice skating!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIANNONAG View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to Buffalo from Florida. We are native Clevelanders and 6 years here has been enough . We have two children ages 3 and 4.
What are the rates for preschool there? I heard that there is universal preschool in Buffalo- any info on that? Can you tell me the cut off dates for entrance into Pre-K and Kindergarten?

I will receive my BA in Special Education next May and will be seeking employment at that time. I have heard from friends in Cleveland that it is very difficult to find a teaching position in the Cleveland area. I have looked at the recruitment site for Buffalo city schools. It seems they really need teachers.
Can you tell me anything about job prospects and working in the city schools? I am not opposed to working in a lower income school, but at the same time want my own children to go to a good school. What areas close to the city should we look at that are affordable?

If Buffalo hasn't changed then the cut off should be Jan 1 of that school year. for the 2012-2013 school year your child has to be 4 on or before Jan 1. My daughter was 3 when she started Pre-k and her birthday was 12/31/01.

If you to to the surrounding areas of buffalo (the subburbs like kenmore, west seneca, tonowanda, cheektowaga) those areas are expensive). I grew up in buffalo and went to a pretty good school. If you are looking to get them into a good school, I went to Waterfront Elm that is located downtown Buffalo and it is a magnite school. It's lottery based but if you get them into there at pre-k age then you are a shoe in. My children went there prior to my 1st deployment in 07 they were in K and 2nd grade. When I came home they went to South Side elm. Look into areas of North Buffalo and South Buffalo, those areas are pretty reasonable and are nice. There are areas within North and south buffalo (Black Rock is a neighborhood within North Buffalo) South Buffalo you have kaiser town. I lived in a decent area no crime, didn't have to worry about the safety of my kids being outside alone. It was a 2 fam house, my apt was 3 bedroom and I payed $375/month.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1816 View Post
If Buffalo hasn't changed then the cut off should be Jan 1 of that school year. for the 2012-2013 school year your child has to be 4 on or before Jan 1. My daughter was 3 when she started Pre-k and her birthday was 12/31/01.

If you to to the surrounding areas of buffalo (the subburbs like kenmore, west seneca, tonowanda, cheektowaga) those areas are expensive). I grew up in buffalo and went to a pretty good school. If you are looking to get them into a good school, I went to Waterfront Elm that is located downtown Buffalo and it is a magnite school. It's lottery based but if you get them into there at pre-k age then you are a shoe in. My children went there prior to my 1st deployment in 07 they were in K and 2nd grade. When I came home they went to South Side elm. Look into areas of North Buffalo and South Buffalo, those areas are pretty reasonable and are nice. There are areas within North and south buffalo (Black Rock is a neighborhood within North Buffalo) South Buffalo you have kaiser town. I lived in a decent area no crime, didn't have to worry about the safety of my kids being outside alone. It was a 2 fam house, my apt was 3 bedroom and I payed $375/month.
We don't have "magnite" schools. They are "Magnet". Or, as some kids call them "maggot"

Draw your own conclusions.

In any case, parents pick 3 and get one. Getting the school you want is a cr*pshoot

Old 09-07-2012, 04:26 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
Isn't this thread three years old?? Check the dates people...

Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM

341 posts, read 684,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
We don't have "magnite" schools. They are "Magnet". Or, as some kids call them "maggot"

Draw your own conclusions.

In any case, parents pick 3 and get one. Getting the school you want is a cr*pshoot
No, it's not. It's a matter of getting on the horn with Central Registration, and working it through.

Both of my children are attending their first (And only listed choice). Why? Because when central registration told me there was no room, I threatened to home school. Within an hour, I got a call back saying,"Well, we had a couple of drop-offs, so we have seats now."

Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
No, it's not. It's a matter of getting on the horn with Central Registration, and working it through.

Both of my children are attending their first (And only listed choice). Why? Because when central registration told me there was no room, I threatened to home school. Within an hour, I got a call back saying,"Well, we had a couple of drop-offs, so we have seats now."
You didn't work it through. You threatened. You know what? The kids yours bumped? I truly hope their parents find out and have a louder voice and a better lawyer when they figure out you bumped their kids. (And have fun homeschooling)

This baloney has gone on since the magnet system started. The only problem is that now it is system wide and called "choice" and you can bully your way into all but test-only schools.

It USED to be that only the schools with exams fed parents the line: "your kids are next on the wait list for: Male/female -- race -- grade". And who won? The biggest-mouthed parents. Their kids? They acted bizarrely like mommy and daddy, with demands that they are "ME FIRST" -- to the detriment of many others students.

Schools need stability. That went out the window when, in order to avoid desegregation busing, magnet schools were made. That created schools that were really good and pulled off all of a school's top kids. It left other schools where kids could apply for magnet programs -- and they lasted, but not at the level of goodies they got then ( the goodies were the incentive for kids to go out of the neighborhood schools ) It left 2 kinds of schools: Nicer areas and ratty ones...then, nicer schools and smaller schools were closed and kids shuffled into others. Bottom line? Who gets hurt here? KIDS.

It isn't school "choice" to a kid who gets a rotten location because someone's mommy or daddy had a bigger mouth and was polishing brass more and got their kid into the position the first kid deserved.

Sorry, the neighborhood schools of the past were a lot better. The families had a stake in the neighborhood. They have no reason to have that now.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
I typically don't agree with you, but your last statement about neighborhood schools is dead on.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM

252 posts, read 649,789 times
I agree that neighborhood schools have a long list of advantages (better sense of community, kids can walk or bicycle to school, parents have a sense of certainty about which school their kids will go to, etc.).

BUT... that's because I have the luxury of being middle-class and knowing that "my" neighborhood school would be pretty decent. What do you say to a parent in the Genesee-Moselle area when they hear that their kids will be forced to attend a school that is 95% black, 100% below poverty, with failing test scores?

Unless a neighborhood school policy is accompanied by a dramatic infusion of investment into high-poverty schools to ensure equal opportunity for all students, it will never fly with low-income parents who don't want to see their children stuck in terrible schools.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I typically don't agree with you, but your last statement about neighborhood schools is dead on.
Thank you.

In about 1995, I ran into a great former student who was in my last class at a west side school closed in the first decimation of neighborhood schools to create "academy" schools (late 1970s/early 1980s). He was about 12 when his school closed, so by 1995, he was in his mid 20s.

Charlie said: " They closed our school, they tore it down and we all went and took bricks, but we could not rebuild our neighborhood."

I keep thinking about those kids -- with families there for 2 or 3 generations in the same homes, and a;; the parents who were so involved. They held PTA not only in school, but in rotating homes. They set up events for the kids in the school or (God Forbid!) in the local church or K of C Hall if the school wasn't available. They involved their kids, they has a vested interest. They involved the teachers and staff, because having us the same with little change was a good thing. The teachers were always included with families... it was a good time to be a teacher. Kids learned. It worked. You worked with the parents, with the same kids, it was stable....Then the people with the big degrees started bean counting and moving students and teachers like checkers on a board or beads on an abacus. And kids got lost...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area