Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:30 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
No. They were fed up with lack of funding, out-of-touch administrators, disinterested parents, schools that lacked basic supplies, kids who weren't being taught to respect authority, students who came in not knowing the most basic stuff (numbers and ABCs) and in the midst of all this, they were expected to achieve certain test results. That's just a sampling of what they've told me.
This is not all City of Buffalo schools and I'm sure much can be seen in the suburban schools just the same. Lack of funding isn't helping public schools, talking new residents out of the city and into the suburbs doesn't help either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 13,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
Why not keep a place down south for winter refuge? I love Florida during the cold months as an escape from the ice and snow. My only mistake was moving down south to live all year long. Being a "snow bird" is not a bad thing. If birds fly south for the winter why can't we? Summer, spring and fall are beautiful in WNY. There's nothing wrong with taking a winter break. Best thing is to spend some time in the area and get to know it. I'm on my way there right now! There are some very inexpensive places to stay if you do your homework.

FCOL!, friedzone!
LauraB is a young mother, the sole support of her children, one with special needs, looking to buy a house to make a home for herself and them. Why on earth would she be interested in going to FL for the winter? Your post is ridiculous. That's something people do when the have no more responsibilities...retirees to be specific. Good Luck LauraB!

Aunt Tweetie

Last edited by Aunt Tweetie; 08-24-2008 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthk34 View Post
I would avoid the Peace Bridge area- it has maybe 2 streets of lovely homes but for the most part it is terrible. Lackawanna- has a great High School but that is it- it is not pleasant (I dont like even driving through it). The Bennet area is decent, close to Main street and Hertel ave but a few blocks east and it begins to fall apart. University Heights is nice, family orientated but recently there have been a few random acts of violence- however, mostly college related. Buffalo State- hit or miss on that one. I would suggest North Buffalo (parkside area or Hertel area- Commonwealth, Wellington, Sterling Streets to name a few) or Elmwood Village area- streets like Lancaster, Hodge, Cleveland. Both North Buffalo and Elmwood have nice school districts (I believe Nth Buffalo's PS 81 is one of the best) and places to shop, eat and entertainment. The snow isn't a huge deal- dont let our proximity to Canada or silly news stories fool you. Yes, it snows and yes it gets cold and frigid- but a nice blanket of snow really enhances the holiday season and will provide an opportunity for you children to learn winter sports or go sledding. Besides- you really learn to appreciate the spring and summer after a chily winter. Overall, Buffalo is a wonderful place to raise a family and it is very friendly- it is really a city of good neighbors. Good luck and I hope this was helpful!
I agree with what you wrote about the neighborhoods. Very good descriptions!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,015 times
I am new to this forum and I read the womans question about buying a home in Buffalo. I wanted to respond to her because I myself am a single mother of two school aged children. I am 27 years old I grew up on the West Side of Buffalo from a middle class family and went to public schools. I can honestly say the the Buffalo Public School system is the #1 reason I do not live in Buffalo anymore. There are some decent neighborhoods left in the city, but no matter what part of the city you live in the school system is the same. I would live in a cardboard box outside the city limits rather than send my kids to school in Buffalo. If you must move to the city try North Buffalo, or Allentown. There are great things in Buffalo the culture and history are rich, I just prefer to come and visit those things rather than raise my kids in a war zone. The Peace Bridge area and Buff State area are words used to fool you into thinking it's not the ghetto, it is.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:15 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,968 times
Listen guys - I am not bashing the city at all, if you like city living, there are great areas to live in, I will stand by what I say, it's all about what's important to you and what you want out of a home and neighborhood.

I am not only an agent, but a mother putting three children through school as well, three different schools at one time!!! I think I know a wee bit about education and hopefully location.

I sell homes everywhere, not just in the burbs - its not about what I personally want for a client, its about what they want and if thier priority is schools for the children, it is my fiduciary duty to educate them on what to expect and how others view it.

I grew up in the city, it was fine, but I also attended private schools (local small neighborhood catholic ones, not rich 10k ones, just for clarification)

It is what it is, you can sugar coat it all you want, base your purchase or your rental on your priorities and what you want in a neighborhood - you arent just buying or renting a house, you are buying or renting a neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 PM

37 posts, read 152,958 times
Thank you all for your help! I will keep the research going!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM

222 posts, read 892,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erumsey17 View Post
I am new to this forum and I read the womans question about buying a home in Buffalo. I wanted to respond to her because I myself am a single mother of two school aged children. I am 27 years old I grew up on the West Side of Buffalo from a middle class family and went to public schools. I can honestly say the the Buffalo Public School system is the #1 reason I do not live in Buffalo anymore. There are some decent neighborhoods left in the city, but no matter what part of the city you live in the school system is the same. I would live in a cardboard box outside the city limits rather than send my kids to school in Buffalo. If you must move to the city try North Buffalo, or Allentown. There are great things in Buffalo the culture and history are rich, I just prefer to come and visit those things rather than raise my kids in a war zone. The Peace Bridge area and Buff State area are words used to fool you into thinking it's not the ghetto, it is.

Isn't Buffalo City honors one of the top 5 public schools in the country?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:11 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
Isn't Buffalo City honors one of the top 5 public schools in the country?
City Honors and Hutchinson Central Tech are both very good HS's in the Buffalo City SD.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,015 times
Yes Hutch Tech and City Honors are great High Schools. I graduated from Hutch Tech. However, you have to pass an entrance exam to go there and not everyone can do that.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:24 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
How are the other HS's? Are the art HS's(DaVinci and Arts) good? What about South Park or Riverside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area