Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:33 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,194,254 times

Advertisements

Good enough for Buffalo though, remaining 2nd largest population in New York State. Not the suburbs, but Buffalo the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,332,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Good enough for Buffalo though, remaining 2nd largest population in New York State. Not the suburbs, but Buffalo the city.
Indeed!!! And keep in mind, these are just estimates. Much talk has been swarming in the region that Buffalo, as the city is gaining thousands of people (in the past five years) and loosing just hundreds. There are young people moving in, which is great for Buffalo! Perhaps, it seems that by the 2010 census, Buffalo will have stopped declining for sure, and perhaps a small increase in numbers! or perhaps we are just dreaming... But hey, anything can happen in Buffalo. And most cities are based on the metropolitan area of their city. For example, you could have a city like Pittsburgh (much like the city population of Buffalo) with low 300,000's and Buffalo near 300,000 and our metro is a bit over 1,000,000 while Pittsburgh is 2,000,000. Therefore, many live and the suburbs and work in the city, and thus the jobs in these cities of NYS should also be looked at, especially in their incerases in the past few years. Buffalo has added close to 3,000 jobs downtown in the past year alone, along with gaining metro population numbers. We will have to see what happens, come 2010.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:24 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,980,601 times
I heard some talk on the radio a few weeks ago that there are alot of people moving into some cities for a cheaper place to live. With the gas prices the way they are there is a shorter commute.

Would be interesting to see how that plays out, not just here, but all cities.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,194,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I heard some talk on the radio a few weeks ago that there are alot of people moving into some cities for a cheaper place to live. With the gas prices the way they are there is a shorter commute.
Not to mention, getting from North Buffalo to South Buffalo, Eastside to Westside with just 2 metro buses (if living outside of downtown). That saves on gas & parking.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
Default Back in town for the weekend and thats far to long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Indeed!!! And keep in mind, these are just estimates. Much talk has been swarming in the region that Buffalo, as the city is gaining thousands of people (in the past five years) and loosing just hundreds. There are young people moving in, which is great for Buffalo! Perhaps, it seems that by the 2010 census, Buffalo will have stopped declining for sure, and perhaps a small increase in numbers! or perhaps we are just dreaming... But hey, anything can happen in Buffalo. And most cities are based on the metropolitan area of their city. For example, you could have a city like Pittsburgh (much like the city population of Buffalo) with low 300,000's and Buffalo near 300,000 and our metro is a bit over 1,000,000 while Pittsburgh is 2,000,000. Therefore, many live and the suburbs and work in the city, and thus the jobs in these cities of NYS should also be looked at, especially in their incerases in the past few years. Buffalo has added close to 3,000 jobs downtown in the past year alone, along with gaining metro population numbers. We will have to see what happens, come 2010.
I read these posts and I have to laugh.
I have been gone for 2 years and I am here for the weekend for a wedding in WNY. All i ask is where are the young people. This has become a retired community for people over 50.

When i go to wegmans I don't expect to see 2/3's of the cashiers over 50 - its sad.

Meanwhile I didn't see 1 person under 30 shopping in wegmans. When i'm home in Scottsdale Arizona. I see good looking people in their 20s and 30s all over the super markets.

This city is deader than dead.

if you don't have young people in your city your city is dying.

Get it?

From a person that once resided in buffalo for 27 years and will no longer be residing in buffalo ever again.....

Old 10-24-2010, 03:58 PM

92,223 posts, read 122,497,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1paint View Post
I have been gone for 2 years and I am here for the weekend for a wedding in WNY. All i ask is where are the young people. This has become a retired community for people over 50.

When i go to wegmans I don't expect to see 2/3's of the cashiers over 50 - its sad.

Meanwhile I didn't see 1 person under 30 shopping in wegmans. When i'm home in Scottsdale Arizona. I see good looking people in their 20s and 30s all over the super markets.

Get it?

From a person that once resided in buffalo for 27 years and will no longer be residing in buffalo ever again.....
Maybe they are in Elmwood Village, Allentown, North Buffalo or Downtown. Some might be in Niagara Falls too.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 AM

744 posts, read 1,760,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe they are in Elmwood Village, Allentown, North Buffalo or Downtown. Some might be in Niagara Falls too.
Looks like Canerican or whatever his most recent reincarnation is has returned - I guess once you have lived in upstate NY nothing else can compare. He sounds very homesick

Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 16,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1paint View Post

Get it?

wow... all the young people living in the suburbs probably have their parents shopping for them

There are tons of young people in the city...

Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM

744 posts, read 1,760,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1234664 View Post
wow... all the young people living in the suburbs probably have their parents shopping for them

There are tons of young people in the city...
The boy got it backwards. Per the official US Census web site. Percentage of population under 18 years old. Scottsdale Arizona 24.5%, Buffalo, NY 33.4%. Link to source below. Another myth debunked. Case closed.

Scottsdale (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 AM

392 posts, read 1,063,033 times
Last one out of Buffalo, please turn out the lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area