Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 06:43 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Buffalo doesn't seem to really have a skyline image in my mind, outside of that ominous looking city hall.
Umm, sure Buffalo could use a better skyline, but worse than Rochester's? Why is that? Sure it's nice for its size, but...over Buffalo!? Wow, I'm shocked.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM

I thought that this pic, portrayed on the previous page, would sell you all..

Perhaps everyone has their own tastes... (and I didn't even include city hall in this pic - one of the largest and tallest in the nation).

Old 12-30-2008, 06:53 PM

57 posts, read 198,986 times
Buffalo definitely has more buildings overall. Rochester has a lot too, but mainly 3 dominant buildings. Matter of personal preference.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
Buffalo definitely has more buildings overall. Rochester has a lot too, but mainly 3 dominant buildings. Matter of personal preference.
Well then, that makes more sense. If you are into smaller, more pleasant skylines, than I do suppose Rochester is ideal for that, while Buffalo - on a bit larger, more dense scale is unique to one's own preference as well through a larger statment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
Buffalo definitely has more buildings overall.
A testament to this city's great past and modernizing to the future.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post
Hi! I'm looking for people who have traveled to other towns and cities to share if they ever found a place like Buffalo NY.

Leaving the sorry state of the economy out of it (if we can) I want to know where there's a place with a Buffalo-feel. I am originally from NYC and Westchester and Buffalo attracted me because it is affordable to live in the city, meaning that one can easily walk or bike ride to everything one needs. Thats a lot of quality-of-life to me.

Elmwood Village is also very impressive in that most of the businesses are locally owned and the only chain stores are a Starbucks and some banks. Is there anywhere else that puts a KFC and McDonalds out of business in favour of the local cafes (Buffalo has a lot to be proud of!!)

I ask because I probably will have to leave Buffalo cos of the sorry economy. While I realize that a lot of the quality of life issues that i love about Buffalo come from it being depressed (uncrowded and cheap) I am hoping that some other place can offer the something of the same...

The only place I can think of that is a great walk-around city like B'lo is Madison, WI...

I think Milwaukee, Wiscosin is very similar to Buffalo.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM

114 posts, read 868,106 times
Detroit is same. I moved from Detroit to Buffalo and no difference.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I have never seen such petty bickering in my entire tenure on this forum, and that's saying a lot considering my hometown forum is incessantly enveloped by some sort of political controversy! LOL! I've been to Rochester. I've been to Buffalo. I've been to Pittsburgh. I've been to Syracuse. I've been to Baltimore. I've obviously been to Scranton. All have similarities. All have differences. Let's just leave it at that, shall we? There's no need for people from Buffalo to be bashing Rochester, and vice-versa. For what it's worth, the images you keep posting over and over of Downtown Buffalo really are not all that impressive, especially when contrasted to those of Downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I have never seen such petty bickering in my entire tenure on this forum, and that's saying a lot considering my hometown forum is incessantly enveloped by some sort of political controversy! LOL! I've been to Rochester. I've been to Buffalo. I've been to Pittsburgh. I've been to Syracuse. I've been to Baltimore. I've obviously been to Scranton. All have similarities. All have differences. Let's just leave it at that, shall we? There's no need for people from Buffalo to be bashing Rochester, and vice-versa. For what it's worth, the images you keep posting over and over of Downtown Buffalo really are not all that impressive, especially when contrasted to those of Downtown Pittsburgh.
What will it take for me to take a good picture of Buffalo!? Argh...

Oh, and yes I LOVE Pittsburgh's skyline and its downtown. IMO, it is a far more developed and prosperous city than any city listed above in your post. I believe a lot of cities can learn from what Pittsburgh has done right. I absolutely love Downtown Pittsburgh - especially by night. It is an incredible city like Buffalo, but still very different in a variety of ways.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Well that image in your profile is absolutely gorgeous, but the other two you kept on posting over and over again just made me shrug my shoulders and say "Nothing special." That one in your profile is postcard quality though!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 AM

137 posts, read 316,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
I know why you think that... You live there! Ah ha!

I can relate... but in Buffalo.

No one in their right mind would like the Rochester skyline over Buffalo! Ha, too funny. Right Marine and Fedup...?
Unless of course you like smaller skylines of not even one true skyscraper.

Here we go with our opinions again... heh.
I think Rochester's skyline is "cute" like a baby taking its 1st steps. But you can't compair the two skylines it is like compairing little league sports to the pros (Buffalo being the pros of course ) They are in different catagories.
I still don't think there is any city like Buffalo, no matter what anyone says or what kind of facts they can throw at it. There is nothing like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area