Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKV View Post
It's a horrible joke that the "flagship school" of the SUNY system isn't even in Buffalo
Is Buffalo the flagship? Cause I thought Binghamton...

Anyway Buffalo reminds me of my hometown, Albany. I live in Rochester now and it's not really like either. And Syracuse is white bread and boring, my least favorite of the four for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
I have always thought it was either Binghamton,, Geneseo, Albany, or Buffalo. I've heard the 4 used interchangeably as the "Flagship". I know Geneseo is supposed to be the hardest to get into.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I have always thought it was either Binghamton,, Geneseo, Albany, or Buffalo. I've heard the 4 used interchangeably as the "Flagship". I know Geneseo is supposed to be the hardest to get into.
I think depends on if you are talking about the state universities or the state colleges. I know the state universities are Buffalo, Binghamton, Albany and Stony Brook. State or university and tech. colleges are Geneseo, Buffalo St., Oswego, Cortland, Brockport, Plattsburgh, Morrisville(now), SUNY IT in Utica, Oneonta, New Paltz, Potsdam, Fredonia, Old Westbury and Purchase. Here's the map of all the SUNY schools, including the 2-year schools:SUNY: Map of Campuses

Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
I think Rochester's skyline is "cute" like a baby taking its 1st steps. But you can't compair the two skylines it is like compairing little league sports to the pros (Buffalo being the pros of course ) They are in different catagories.
I still don't think there is any city like Buffalo, no matter what anyone says or what kind of facts they can throw at it. There is nothing like it.
There's a true Buffalonian spirit! I'm with ya.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 PM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
Buffalonian4Life, why dont you post some pics of Buffalo's wonderful architecture? I have so many books where the architecture of Buffalo is photographed beautifully (after all, so many of our buildings were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) - and I think if you want to convince anyone of the beauty of the city, thats the way to go. I love Buffalo, but its not the skyline thats impressive - its the close-ups :-)

ANd how about Delware Park or Forest Lawn? Or just some of the wonderful houses? Even the decreipt grain elevators make interesting and beautiful pics.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post
Buffalonian4Life, why dont you post some pics of Buffalo's wonderful architecture? I have so many books where the architecture of Buffalo is photographed beautifully (after all, so many of our buildings were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) - and I think if you want to convince anyone of the beauty of the city, thats the way to go. I love Buffalo, but its not the skyline thats impressive - its the close-ups :-)

ANd how about Delware Park or Forest Lawn? Or just some of the wonderful houses? Even the decreipt grain elevators make interesting and beautiful pics.
Thank you for this advice - I have recently just posted skyline pics of Buffalo because I love skylines and I try to make ours look impressive and somewhat prosperous. Unfortunately, it seems as though I have failed to do so, yet in my years of photography I have included multiple scenes of Buffalo from close ups on our City's wonderful historic architecture, to skyline shots from different angles, etc.

I do not know the market for such pictures of Buffalo to which people like to see and marvel at, and I do indeed appreciate your post here. I will take that into consideration for future posts.

And, if you are interested at all, I have my own website where you can view some of my pictures to see what you like. Please comment should you like a certain one, because I'll be sure to include it in some of the posts, or take more similar pics of the like. Buffalo Scenic Prints Thanks v3ronika!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,050 times
I've lived in quite a few places...Buffalo, Florida (Panhandle and Cocoa Beach), Australia, California (Central Coast, northern state, and outside SF), Colorado, Greenland, Virginia, and a little Texas and Mississippi. While living in each one of these places I've compared them against Buffalo and they all come up short. No place is like my hometown and I miss it. People will always talk about how great a city's cultural attractions are, their sports teams, parks and rec activities, economy, job market...etc., but at the end of the day it's the people of the city, your neighbors and friends that count most. Buffalo, without any reservation, has the BEST, most genuine people of anywhere I've been. Maybe it's because of the city's blue collar heritage that folks there are unpretentious and unreservedly friendly, but I'd rather sit and have a beer with any one of them than people here in VA (job brought me here). Back in Buffalo, when your car is stuck in the snow it's TYPICAL to have strangers come and help dig you out - because that's their character. Most other places I've been you'd be on your own. Don't get me wrong, I've met wonderful people every place I've lived and have great memories of each home, but I'm drawn back to Buffalo much more than any place else.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 PM

137 posts, read 316,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketOps View Post
I've lived in quite a few places...Buffalo, Florida (Panhandle and Cocoa Beach), Australia, California (Central Coast, northern state, and outside SF), Colorado, Greenland, Virginia, and a little Texas and Mississippi. While living in each one of these places I've compared them against Buffalo and they all come up short. No place is like my hometown and I miss it. People will always talk about how great a city's cultural attractions are, their sports teams, parks and rec activities, economy, job market...etc., but at the end of the day it's the people of the city, your neighbors and friends that count most. Buffalo, without any reservation, has the BEST, most genuine people of anywhere I've been. Maybe it's because of the city's blue collar heritage that folks there are unpretentious and unreservedly friendly, but I'd rather sit and have a beer with any one of them than people here in VA (job brought me here). Back in Buffalo, when your car is stuck in the snow it's TYPICAL to have strangers come and help dig you out - because that's their character. Most other places I've been you'd be on your own. Don't get me wrong, I've met wonderful people every place I've lived and have great memories of each home, but I'm drawn back to Buffalo much more than any place else.
Exactly! I don't know what kind of business you are in but I am in the USMC and I have been EVERYWHERE and most people think your just a Marine you have only been to war. Complete opposite, I am in the air wing I work on CH53E helicopters and sometimes fly on them. I have been luck with my tours overseas. My last one I was on the USS Kearsarge if you aren't familiar with Naval Ships the Kearsarge is like a small aircraft carrier for vertical take off and landing i.e. helicopters and harriers. Out of the 8 or so countries we stopped at 1 of them was a "combat zone" and that was Kuwait. The rest of the countries were port calls. The boat pulled in anywhere from 2 days to 6 days and we went out and experienced the culture. No matter where I go or who I meet, there is nothing like Buffalo.

And on a small side note, my command only has about 200-300 people in it. There are 5 of us from Buffalo or the surrounding suburbs and we ALL miss it like crazy.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Thank you for this advice - I have recently just posted skyline pics of Buffalo because I love skylines and I try to make ours look impressive and somewhat prosperous. Unfortunately, it seems as though I have failed to do so, yet in my years of photography I have included multiple scenes of Buffalo from close ups on our City's wonderful historic architecture, to skyline shots from different angles, etc.

I do not know the market for such pictures of Buffalo to which people like to see and marvel at, and I do indeed appreciate your post here. I will take that into consideration for future posts.

And, if you are interested at all, I have my own website where you can view some of my pictures to see what you like. Please comment should you like a certain one, because I'll be sure to include it in some of the posts, or take more similar pics of the like. Buffalo Scenic Prints Thanks v3ronika!

I will certainly take a look at your link - thanks for including it!

Have you seen the book "Classic Buffalo" by Andy Olenick and Richard Reisem? I am sure that all the B'lo lovers here would enjoy it very much - a beautiful book on Buffalo's special architecture.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika
Have you seen the book "Classic Buffalo" by Andy Olenick and Richard Reisem? I am sure that all the B'lo lovers here would enjoy it very much - a beautiful book on Buffalo's special architecture.
Huuh. It's amazing how many books are out there on Buffalo! On the historic architecture to predictions to the future. Will look into that book! And BTW, great thread! Look at how it has grown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area