Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 AM

9 posts, read 19,052 times

Advertisements

its very similar to newark in soo many ways even the light rail in buffalo reminds me of the newark city subway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
Default Secondary Choices

I agree, no city is like Buffalo. It's wonderful. However, what are some secondary choices? I've read the responses and I'm finding it hard to decide which city to begin researching.
I left Buffalo (where I grew up) because my husband and I couldn't find a good job. He was from San Antonio, so it was really easy to move there.
To maintain fairness, we're moving in a few years. We agreed that we can't live in NY state or TX. Is there any place I might enjoy, knowing that I'm originally from Buffalo? I would like to avoid the depressing, lack-of-sunlight winters though.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times
Quote:
I agree, no city is like Buffalo. It's wonderful. However, what are some secondary choices? I've read the responses and I'm finding it hard to decide which city to begin researching.
I left Buffalo (where I grew up) because my husband and I couldn't find a good job. He was from San Antonio, so it was really easy to move there.
To maintain fairness, we're moving in a few years. We agreed that we can't live in NY state or TX. Is there any place I might enjoy, knowing that I'm originally from Buffalo? I would like to avoid the depressing, lack-of-sunlight winters though.
I would look at Roanoke, Charlotte, Charleston (SC, and WV), or Baltimore.

They aren't "like" Buffalo, obviously no city is, but they all offer the same things Buffalo does. Politically, with the exceptions of Charleston and Baltimore they are all moderate cities. Roanoke is my favorite on the list, I would take a look at it.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:52 PM

36 posts, read 118,691 times
Lol, I really think is kind of true what you are saying, the economy in pittsburgh is better, but everything else cannot be compared to Buffalo.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kariann9 View Post
I think Syracuse is very similar to Buffalo.

Check it out, I lived in both cities and enjoyed them.
Omg no! Syracuse is nothing like Buffalo. I remember going to a club there back in my early 20's and wow, Syracuse is very small town.....not much nightlife either!~

Someone said Detroit too??? WOW> Worlds away!!! No comparison.

I lived outside of Buffalo in the burbs 35 years and nuttin like Detroit!

No one has bakeries like Buffalo! My pastry hearts cannot be found anywhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!or cutouts!!

Buffalo is a friendly, downhome town!! People are tight knit--*in the burbs at least!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM

292 posts, read 725,118 times
I'm gonna buck the trend and say that there's a Sun Belt city on the border that is similarly like Buffalo..El Paso. Both were prosperous, relatively large cities that could never quite shake that blue collar vibe. El Paso even produces steel. Going into El Paso for the first time reminded me of going into Buffalo and seeing the shells of its former self. Both downtowns are dumpy with vacant buildings. The general attitude is the same; both tend to think their city sucks, and the Democratic party reigns with oppressive taxation. Granted the demographics, climate and the like are totally different, but their economic developments are more similar than most people would think.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 18,937 times
Default check out rochester

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=700900

Last edited by therock11; 09-14-2009 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: hyperlink

Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM

6 posts, read 18,937 times
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=700900

Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times
Rochester is basically Buffalo, but an hour away. Even the suburbs are pretty much the same, it's kind of weird.

Elmira is like small Buffalo.

Dayton is very similar, but midwestern. I find that Detroit is actually very similar, only larger, and more minorities.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 PM

93,229 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Rochester is basically Buffalo, but an hour away. Even the suburbs are pretty much the same, it's kind of weird.

Elmira is like small Buffalo.

Dayton is very similar, but midwestern. I find that Detroit is actually very similar, only larger, and more minorities.
and a little more vacant and a higher crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area