Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Matt (from pittsburghskyline.com) doesn't work for the city of Pittsburgh. He lives in Raleigh, NC and is originally from Pittsburgh. He sold some of his photos to WTAE for a backdrop behind the news desk. He has other cities on his website that he takes pictures at when he visits. MetroScenes.com - Original Urban Photography by Matt Robinson

Just like he takes pictures of nice parts of the city, you found a picture collection of "urban decay" photos on flickr some of which are dated back to 03 and 04. Not saying run down parts don't exist but it IS a city and that's something you just have to deal with if you like to go looking for negatives and that sorta thing. Run down areas are somewhat avoidable so I tend not to see them.
Okaaaaaayyyyyy...... I guess the point I was attempting to make (but failed because for some reason my pictures were all copyrighted! OOPS! ) was that Pittsburgh, IN GENERAL - is overall a very dirty, messy place. I travel throughout the city quite a bit and I am amazed at the amount of garbage I see everywhere. It's a huge problem here. Most of the streets are littered with trash - it is so sad to see. Also, very few and I stress that - very few - neighborhoods take care of the outside of their homes and yards. Plus sidewalks are a mess because no one seems to bother to pull the weeds, throw out their fast food bags or pick up their cigarette butts.

I adore old homes, and I love older cities. What I do not love however, is a dirty city. And from the last four years that I have traveled and lived in Pittsburgh, I have seen evidence of a very dirty and unkempt city. Sorry, but it's a big problem here in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
No!

I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and trust me, Pittsburgh is NOTHING like Buffalo. The economy is better than Buffalo, but that is about it. The only suburbs Pittsburgh has are Bethal Park (like Cheektowaga) and Mt. Lebanon like (Amherst near Harlem and Main streets.)

Pittsburgh also has much, much less to do! The bar "strip" their version of Chippewa, or Elmwood is called Carson Street and is a DUMP! The bars are dirty and cheap. The people (unless they are students from elsewhere) are fat and dirty. I have never seen so many disgustingly fat, dirty and unkempt people in my life than here in Pitt! No beautiful people like Buffalo has.

No beaches! The rivers are brown and gross and no one swims in them! There are only one or two boats in the water at a time - the rivers are pretty polluted here.

The shopping is similar to Buffalo, but there is much less of it! Plus everything is so dirty and falling apart. Think Lackawana by the steel plants - or the fruit belt in Buffalo proper. Ross Park Mall is the only decent mall around, but that is way up north in the suburbs, but worth the drive.

Shadyside is like Allentown, but smaller and dirtier (I cannot stress that enough) Squirrel Hill is like a miniature Delaware park area without the park and museums! The downtown are is nice to work - not to live. There are a few new condos being built, but you'll need a car to get anywhere.

Can you tell I'm not impressed by Pittsburgh?
Wow, I jumped on the NY forum to get some info since my wife and I own a place on Lake Chautauqua and have good friends in Fredonia. And recently my wife has been traveling to Buffalo-Rochester for business.

I guess this is where LondonBarcelona spreads her sunshine when not on the Pgh forum. No sense arguing point for point, she'll never change her opinion. I can never understand why people go out of their way to bad mouth other areas of the country. I've seen both good and bad in Rochester and Buffalo, but overall both seem like good places to live.

My guess, Ms L-B, you live in the South Hills. You sound more like a true Pittsburgher than you would care to admit.

Ross Park Mall is the only decent mall around, but that is way up north in the suburbs, but worth the drive.

Way up North??? It's 7 miles from downtown Pgh. You sound like a yinzer who refuses to cross a river.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 PM

147 posts, read 535,228 times
My original post praised Buffalo for its independent businesses and lack of chain stores. I cant take L-B's complaints about Pittsburgh seriously cos s/he, afterall, seems to care a lot about malls.

Sorry, can't relate to that one at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Wow, I jumped on the NY forum to get some info since my wife and I own a place on Lake Chautauqua and have good friends in Fredonia. And recently my wife has been traveling to Buffalo-Rochester for business.

I guess this is where LondonBarcelona spreads her sunshine when not on the Pgh forum. No sense arguing point for point, she'll never change her opinion. I can never understand why people go out of their way to bad mouth other areas of the country. I've seen both good and bad in Rochester and Buffalo, but overall both seem like good places to live.

My guess, Ms L-B, you live in the South Hills. You sound more like a true Pittsburgher than you would care to admit.

Ross Park Mall is the only decent mall around, but that is way up north in the suburbs, but worth the drive.

Way up North??? It's 7 miles from downtown Pgh. You sound like a yinzer who refuses to cross a river.
LOL, alright, so maybe it was a little harsh... *smile*
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone from Pittsburgh, I just love Buffalo so much!

I actually live in the North, right around Cranberry and I love this part! It's new, clean and has *lots* of great shopping! LOL

Seriously, I do think the people in Buffalo are better looking, maybe I need glasses. Or maybe I'm just partial.

Since I don't live anywhere near the rivers, I don't cross any of them too often unless I am traveling downtown. I was speaking more "way up north" as in it's a pretty long trek to get to unless you live nearby. You know as well as I do that it's difficult getting around the city of Pittsburgh and going anywhere takes more time because of the heavy amount of road construction and the crazy twists and turns of the roads. But hey, Ross Park is a very decent mall, and yes, I love to shop!

I do have a problem with the trash though. It does seem to be much worse in the Pittsburgh areas than anywhere around Buffalo. I'm not sure why that is though...

Anyway, I apologize if I got your goat when talking about the ugliness of Pittsburgh. However, from afar, it's still quite pretty with all the little houses on the hills and all.
(See, I'm trying to show some compassion! )

Old 08-28-2008, 06:36 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times
ehhhh...screw pittsburghhhh...Buffalo, New York is the way to go!

...(for those who can get a job though...)

Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Cranberry??? aka Monroeville of the North. Not much substance in that area and nothing but chain restaurants. Maybe you'll trip over me at Springfields, I'll be the ugly guy at the bar.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Cranberry??? aka Monroeville of the North. Not much substance in that area and nothing but chain restaurants. Maybe you'll trip over me at Springfields, I'll be the ugly guy at the bar.
Springfields, Very cool. Yeah, I admit it, I'm one of those who likes franchise restaurants (unless I'm going out for an intimate dinner, then I'd go to a nice privately owned restaurant.)

Just for the record -- I don't think you're ugly!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:47 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,779 times
I beg the differ, as someone who has lived in both Buffalo and Pittsburgh. They are very different. Actually I thought CArson street on the southside of Pittsburgh was very clean. The houses and are are quaint. As far as biking there are many trails for bikes along the river on the southside in Pittsburgh. YEs they are very biker friendly. There is a row house feel on the southside of Pittsburgh. The girls might be a bit prettier in Buffalo, that is true. However, the downtown in Pittsburgh is bigger, taller skyscrapers, nicer ambiance of shops. It has been a long time since I lived in Pittsburgh so my memory is a bit vague. However to the person who said shadyside is dirtier than allentown. So not true. Shadyside is much cleaner in fact. Allentown is dirtier. AReas os squirell hill are much smaller than the Elmwood strip, However the strip in Pittsburgh is very unique in its own way. You can buy food off the streets from food vendors. However, overall Buffalo has much better restaurants and food. I thought Pittsburgh in terms of a big city, had very little variety in restaurants and was surprised by their lack of restaurants. As far as Pitt having better jobs. Maybe, but slightly. Both lack in jobs. Both cities suburbs are a bit bland. Buffalo overall is grittier than Pittsburgh with more bad neighborhoods. Oakland in Pittsburgh is cool for bars and college chicks. Wherea Elmwood in Buffalo is good for that.Two main colleges are in that section of PIttsburgh, they are the U of pitt and CArnegie Hall. In Buffalo Buffalo state college students are on Elmwood and you will see the college students all along Elmwood ave.In Pittsburgh areas are more like small towns, yet more of them, where sections of Buffalo are bigger but few. Buffalo is mainly four sides, the west east south and north. The weather in Pitt rains a lot, whereas Buffalo has sunnier days. Yet the winters in Buffalo are colder and snowier. The Pittsburghs skyline is much nicer, and their downtown is bigger. YOU also have the North side of Pittsburgh which is a little gritty but different, parts of it go into the hills. There is an area of Pittsburgh in Allentown where you are up on a mountain and have a great view of Buffalo. Pittsburgh is like the east coast version of San Francisco. (very hilly). Buffalo is extremely flat, wont see a hill til you go out towards some of their farthest suburbs like clarence and then you still only have a little tid bit hill. Crime is much worse in Buffalo, yet Pittsburgh has gotten a little worse in the last few years. Your overall safer walking around Pittsburgh, than in Buffalo. More safer areas in Pittsburgh by far than Buffalo. Both are good sports towns. Both cities suck for singles. Both are rated very poorly for their singles scene. Pittsburgh is a prettier place to look at with slightly less to do. Buffalo is less appealing. Both are affordable. In Pittsburgh you will have to get used to clouds, and in Buffalo you will have to get used to snow.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
I beg the differ, as someone who has lived in both Buffalo and Pittsburgh. They are very different. Actually I thought CArson street on the southside of Pittsburgh was very clean. The houses and are are quaint. As far as biking there are many trails for bikes along the river on the southside in Pittsburgh. YEs they are very biker friendly. There is a row house feel on the southside of Pittsburgh. The girls might be a bit prettier in Buffalo, that is true. However, the downtown in Pittsburgh is bigger, taller skyscrapers, nicer ambiance of shops. It has been a long time since I lived in Pittsburgh so my memory is a bit vague. However to the person who said shadyside is dirtier than allentown. So not true. Shadyside is much cleaner in fact. Allentown is dirtier. AReas os squirell hill are much smaller than the Elmwood strip, However the strip in Pittsburgh is very unique in its own way. You can buy food off the streets from food vendors. However, overall Buffalo has much better restaurants and food. I thought Pittsburgh in terms of a big city, had very little variety in restaurants and was surprised by their lack of restaurants. As far as Pitt having better jobs. Maybe, but slightly. Both lack in jobs. Both cities suburbs are a bit bland. Buffalo overall is grittier than Pittsburgh with more bad neighborhoods. Oakland in Pittsburgh is cool for bars and college chicks. Wherea Elmwood in Buffalo is good for that.Two main colleges are in that section of PIttsburgh, they are the U of pitt and CArnegie Hall. In Buffalo Buffalo state college students are on Elmwood and you will see the college students all along Elmwood ave.In Pittsburgh areas are more like small towns, yet more of them, where sections of Buffalo are bigger but few. Buffalo is mainly four sides, the west east south and north. The weather in Pitt rains a lot, whereas Buffalo has sunnier days. Yet the winters in Buffalo are colder and snowier. The Pittsburghs skyline is much nicer, and their downtown is bigger. YOU also have the North side of Pittsburgh which is a little gritty but different, parts of it go into the hills. There is an area of Pittsburgh in Allentown where you are up on a mountain and have a great view of Buffalo. Pittsburgh is like the east coast version of San Francisco. (very hilly). Buffalo is extremely flat, wont see a hill til you go out towards some of their farthest suburbs like clarence and then you still only have a little tid bit hill. Crime is much worse in Buffalo, yet Pittsburgh has gotten a little worse in the last few years. Your overall safer walking around Pittsburgh, than in Buffalo. More safer areas in Pittsburgh by far than Buffalo. Both are good sports towns. Both cities suck for singles. Both are rated very poorly for their singles scene. Pittsburgh is a prettier place to look at with slightly less to do. Buffalo is less appealing. Both are affordable. In Pittsburgh you will have to get used to clouds, and in Buffalo you will have to get used to snow.
Hey SlickRick, that was a very unbiased look at both cities and I agree with everything you said except the Shadyside thing vs. Allentown. I'm not going to argue that Allentown is cleaner than Shadyside at this time because I have not been to Allentown in years. However, my impression came about because the last time I was in Allentown it appeared clean to me, the last time I was in Shadyside (a few weeks ago) it looked dirtier. Not run down or boarded up or anything like that, just general ground garbage and weeds growing through the sideways and the general state of the streets around the shopping areas of Shadyside. It looked much dirtier than usual. I was in Shadyside three years ago prior and it looked much cleaner. That is why I said what I did. Maybe it was just an off day for Shadyside.
Everything else you said was spot on.
I was under the impression though that Pittsburgh's economy was doing much better than Buffalo's. Although I am including all the areas surrounding both cities. Downtown Pittsburgh (especially around the point) seems to have way more going on than Buffalo. Then again, Buffalo's downtown went south as soon as they ripped up Main street to put in the light rail. I remember how so many businesses closed because of the diversion of traffic away from the business that was nearby. Shame really.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 AM

147 posts, read 535,228 times
Alright, alright - is there anywhere else, besides places in the rust belt, that anyone has thought of as B'lo-esque?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area