Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 AM

260 posts, read 977,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post
Really? Where are you talking about? I have never never never had that happen!
Its very true. Thats what I like about them. The other thing I like. At night, if you don't time them right I go through them with the cops... I love corrupt Buffalo cops lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 AM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
Its very true. Thats what I like about them. The other thing I like. At night, if you don't time them right I go through them with the cops... I love corrupt Buffalo cops lol.
I still think you must be talking about a street or area that I've never been on/in!

As for the Buffalo cops - I dont know a thing about them! Gonna keep it that way lol.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM

260 posts, read 977,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post
I still think you must be talking about a street or area that I've never been on/in!

As for the Buffalo cops - I dont know a thing about them! Gonna keep it that way lol.
haha One thing I learned is never go to Buffalo Police always go Erie County Sheriffs if your in trouble.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,434 times
I think the red light issue is problematic throughout western NY. I am originally from Lockport, worked in Amherst, Orchard Park, Buffalo area when I was there & found it to be an issue pretty much everywhere. It wastes gas (the constant starting & stopping), causes more wear & tear on yr vehicle (i.e. brakes), causes longer commute times.
Here in the Denver area (approx. 3500 sq. miles) stop lights are run by sensors, by the traffic volume & traffic patterns. Municipalities are proactive about changing light setting according to changes in traffic patterns. It makes commuting around here much easier. It has been 12 years since I moved here fr Lockport. Every time i return to visit family/friends I am reminded if what it is like to drive there.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:10 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,346,000 times
I know it's crazy BUT try living in NJ where you can NEVER turn LEFT at a light (intersection)...It is horrid. Nj-right turn only state lol...

I grew up with all the lights but it was so built up since the 70's..We had all the plazas and shopping at every interesection....it doesn't bother me. I guess it's what you are used to!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
I agree that the light synchronization in Bflo is terrible, especially along Main Street and Hertel. But the worst specific cluster of lights that I know of are the three sets along Bailey, right around UB-Main and the VA Hospital. Terrible!

Old 11-01-2008, 08:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
New location for an out of sync traffic light mess up: going north on DickRd/Cayuga to get on the 33 by the airport. If no one has noticed, you used to hit the green to go across Genesee and then go to the left turn onto the 33 without a stop. Three times in the last week, we got hung up in a line: the left turn light onto the 33 is out of sync and doesn't turn green at the right time, so the people who cross Genesee are hung out to dry waiting..

Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM

259 posts, read 888,357 times
This issue has been written up in the news many times over the last year. I believe the major problem was the computer systems, one run by the state the other run by the city, could not communicate with each other. The State controls some roads as "Evacuation routes".

This is from a June Esmonde column...

The city recently got the technology to time traffic lights on its major roads. Synchronizing traffic lights would turn a stop-and-start slog into an easy cruise for drivers. It would save us gas and time, cut the number of accidents and keep the air cleaner. It would also spare us fed-up, brake-weary drivers who speed through a changing light instead of slamming the brake.

“Coordination of traffic signals [enables] motorists to travel through multiple intersections with minimal delay . . . at great benefit to the community,” noted a study by the state’s energy agency.

Yet lights are synchronized on only four of 11 major city thoroughfares — South Park, Niagara, William and Genesee. City officials said synchronized lights are not coming soon to other arteries — Main, Elmwood, Delaware, Broadway, Clinton, Seneca and Exchange.

“It will be another couple of years,” said traffic engineer Eric Schmarder, “due to funding issues.”

Donn Esmonde: Traffic lights in city need to be put in sync : Donn Esmonde : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/donnesmonde/story/374475.html - broken link)

Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 PM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
This issue has been written up in the news many times over the last year. I believe the major problem was the computer systems, one run by the state the other run by the city, could not communicate with each other. The State controls some roads as "Evacuation routes".

This is from a June Esmonde column...

The city recently got the technology to time traffic lights on its major roads. Synchronizing traffic lights would turn a stop-and-start slog into an easy cruise for drivers. It would save us gas and time, cut the number of accidents and keep the air cleaner. It would also spare us fed-up, brake-weary drivers who speed through a changing light instead of slamming the brake.

“Coordination of traffic signals [enables] motorists to travel through multiple intersections with minimal delay . . . at great benefit to the community,” noted a study by the state’s energy agency.

Yet lights are synchronized on only four of 11 major city thoroughfares — South Park, Niagara, William and Genesee. City officials said synchronized lights are not coming soon to other arteries — Main, Elmwood, Delaware, Broadway, Clinton, Seneca and Exchange.

“It will be another couple of years,” said traffic engineer Eric Schmarder, “due to funding issues.”

Donn Esmonde: Traffic lights in city need to be put in sync : Donn Esmonde : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/donnesmonde/story/374475.html - broken link)
Also in the article:

"A modest proposal: Before putting in traffic cameras to nab irate drivers slipping through changing lights, the city should synchronize traffic lights on all of its major roads.

“No, we are not going to do that,” said mayoral spokesman Peter Cutler. “I don’t buy the theory that people run lights because they are not synchronized.” "

NO WE'RE NOT GOING TO DO THAT ???? That pisses me off to no end!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 115,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
If you hit the lights at the right speed, you can fly down 100 blocks no problem - and do it in an extremely short aomunt of time!

On which streets does that happen? Are there any streets in Buffalo that has 100 blocks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area