Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 PM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Would East Aurora or Elma be a good choice for cameron too? Could he go the way of Dunkirk/Fredonia too and take Route 39 to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,481 times
Well, it depends on your criteria for a neighborhood. This area is mostly a College aged adults, bars restaurants etc ... If you are mid 20-late 30s single or married witnh no kids could be a fit.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,157 times
Default moving to buffalo soon need info desperately - please

Can anyone give me information on the best areas to live in the buffalo area. My fiancee is relocating because of work reasons and I have decided to move with him. I have two school aged children. I do not drive so i will need to find the safest location to public transit for commuting to work. I was looking at tonawanda and West Seneca - what are the neighborhoods like and are they too rural for commute by public transit. Also, my son is age 14 and a special needs student. do you know how the school systems handle these things. - where are the closest mental health facilities. etc.. thanks I need all the help i can get and GO RED SOX !!! -

Old 10-12-2008, 06:18 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCutie4u View Post
Can anyone give me information on the best areas to live in the buffalo area. My fiancee is relocating because of work reasons and I have decided to move with him. I have two school aged children. I do not drive so i will need to find the safest location to public transit for commuting to work. I was looking at tonawanda and West Seneca - what are the neighborhoods like and are they too rural for commute by public transit. Also, my son is age 14 and a special needs student. do you know how the school systems handle these things. - where are the closest mental health facilities. etc.. thanks I need all the help i can get and GO RED SOX !!! -
I do not know much about public transit. Not many middle class folks take it, its mostly a driving town.

The town of tonawanda, and west seneca, and the city of tonawanda are all suburbs. They are not rural at all, I have lived in all three areas and they are all very fine areas to raise a family and live.

The school systems in the suburbs is excellent. The school system in the city of buffalo is not where you want to send your kids, however.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 AM

49 posts, read 147,018 times
Hey Guys, sorry been extremely busy with work and the fact that the move to the Buffalo area is getting closer or I should say I may take the job up there.

Well I would like to be close to work...how much time are we talking in heavy snow to get to springville from orhcard park or say elmood village...

I stayed in Ellicottville for 2 weeks while I was up there, nice town and would prefer this town but not many homes/condos/townhomes for sale in this area....Springville - well didn't find any at all well just 1 but not a place I owuld choose...

No kids yet or in the near furutre for us, so we don't care about school system yet...and the fact that we will move again 4-5 yrs down the road due to work (thinking baout renting but prefer to buy)...we just want a nice town, somewhere we can go out for a walk etc, ellicotville is nice but prefer city living but then would hate the commute to work...esp since i need to be at work at 7am...luckily only have a 4 day work week so that helps....

ok so about the 180 degree turns i keep doing; how's: Granger Place at Forest Ave - just can't seem to get away from city living....

actually we prefer condo/townhome to a house...this is soo tough! thanks so much for all your help.

Last edited by cameron6590; 10-15-2008 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM

60 posts, read 177,140 times
OP to Springville will be about 20-25 minutes, maybe 40-45 in heavy snow. Springville is in the souther tier which gets heavy snow, so account for it. If you want the city life in the elmwood village, add another 20-25 minutes to that commute. You wont get a house or condo cheap in the elmwood village, much of that area is rental units. OP, West Seneca, hamburg you will be able to find a house for sale that meets your needs and isnt too far from work

Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would East Aurora or Elma be a good choice for cameron too? Could he go the way of Dunkirk/Fredonia too and take Route 39 to work?
Not 39. You can take Jamison Clinton or Bullis to either the 90 or to the 400 and into Buffalo easily from there. 39 is really a small highway or even a road, not an expressway -- even when it becomes 16.. From Springville ( another location listed) there is always the 219 and it ends near 39.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:04 AM

144 posts, read 546,503 times
Try looking into the Parkside neighborhood. We are new here as well (about 8 months) we love it!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM

49 posts, read 147,018 times
hey guys! actually have finalized it and chose Ellicottville...wow prices for a brand new twonhome in this town is outrageous!! how come? for instance the MountainView Townhomes are going for $339-$350K.... 3 bed, 3 bath with taxes in the $7k range....will probably have to rent!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron6590 View Post
hey guys! actually have finalized it and chose Ellicottville...wow prices for a brand new twonhome in this town is outrageous!! how come? for instance the MountainView Townhomes are going for $339-$350K.... 3 bed, 3 bath with taxes in the $7k range....will probably have to rent!
I don't know one person that lives full time in Ellicottville.

It is no where near the city.

Those townhouses are in prime ski areas, that would explain the price.

There is very little grocery shopping, retail, or anything to do in that area besides bars/restaurants catering to the ski crowd.

Don't get me wrong its a beautiful area, I visit about twice a year, and that is enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area