Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:53 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloGoo View Post
Livecontent, I live in Cheekowaga! I went to Maryvale High school.

cheese9988, I would love the more laid back attitude in the south!

I went to Queen of Martyrs Grade School and Cheektowaga Central. We lived near St. Joseph Hospital and before it was there, I use to play in the woods--it is interesting that the area east of the hospital has not developed. The big shopping for me was the Thruway Plaza--this was before it became a mall and now I see it was torn down.

There was a much gang activity in the area around the Town Park and along Walden in the late 40s to the mid 50s. Latter when I was gone, my parents moved near Coma Park and Transit---that was a much nicer area. However, brother and sisters all moved to Colorado as adults. My parents followed us about 25 years ago. We are all alive and happy in the Denver area and have no contact, no relatives, no friends in WNY---all have left---mostly to Florida.

Denver is the perfect spot--not to cold and not to hot---it has four seasons. It is not in the Mountains but on the Great Plains and consequently has a very mild climate compared to areas in the Mountains, which are just a few miles west. The Denver area has history, a culture and very little friction between ethnic groups. It does not have the decay that I saw in the east side of Buffalo.

If I never went in the Army and saw other places, I do not think that I would have ever left Western New York. I would never have settled in Buffalo but some of the small towns in WNY that appeal to me. The weather there is not good for my health now, but WNY is a beautiful area. But, I never really loved Buffalo--to many bad experiences going downtown on the Sycamore bus from the Thruway Plaza and bad times at the Schiller Park Pool. Back then, it had some rough people and today, it looks like the area is worse.

Denver is a much nicer, cleaner and safe city.... but I do have some good memories of WNY.....

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,037 times
I lived in Buffalo for three years during the 1990s, and now I live in Wisconsin. I miss seeing my partner every day--we've had to keep things long-distance because of job stuff. I also miss various friends and acquaintances, people who provided a familiar face to my time there. I also miss some places, such as Delaware Park, Talking Leaves Bookstore, Premier Liquor, Wegmans, and a few other such places. But fortunately, I visit several times per year, so Buffalo is still kind of like home to me.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 AM

87 posts, read 212,967 times
Hello everyone, I am 24 years old and I have lived in Buffalo my whole life. I enjoy the summers in Buffalo very much but the winters are extremely hard for me to get through (I suffer from SAD and fibromyalgia which gets worse in during the winter). I have been debating wether I should move to a warmer, sunnier climate but then I think would I miss Buffalo if I left? What would you guys miss if you left Buffalo or have you left the area and if so what do you miss?

I'm a survivor of Fibro and Arthritis, severe . I was born N bred in WNY and I think I can help you out.First off in the winters there you need vitamin D there in the winter.Besides what you eat. Second and most important a fairly high dose of Magnesium.I found that the key too us with Fibro. Take at least 1000 megs a day. you really only get about 600 mgs in that dose.I would also get checked out for Sleep Apnea. Most all Fibro patients have some form of sleep Apnea. This diagnosis in itself will pull you back together. My doctor back there is the best and if you write me I'll let you know who he is.
I could not of lived the last 20yrs with out the mag or the sleep Apnea fix. I'd be nutz from the SAD.
And as far as leaving home, I have on several occasions and Buffalo the arm pit of the nation always calls me home. Why I have no clue. I have lived all over the US. I'm currently out West. Gorgeous country out here but the people suck out here ! There is no Christian value out here and there the most self centered people I ever met. I miss my home. The food, the fairs, markets, the lakes , carnivals and yea my family. So after 3 years now I'll be heading home next year. I've been in DE, TX and FL but every time I go home cause it is just that, Home..
I'm raising 4 children now with my partner and one is special needs. He is being totaly ignored here and not giving the classes or help he needs. I know my schools back home and thats where I need too get him. That , for me was the deal breaker. I know my stomping grounds.
I hope this helps

Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 PM

35 posts, read 91,871 times
livecontent, I'm glad you like Denver so much! I never go to the Thruway Plaza it's not the nicest areas, it's too bad to because they could have made it nice. Thanks for your help again!

quijote, I like wegmans too! :0)

GIbornNBred, I am interested in talking to you about fibromyalgia. I am new to the boards so I don't know how to e-mail you but my e-mail is PinkHeadPhones3@aol.com, please e-mail me when you can so we can talk more.

Last edited by BuffaloGoo; 10-25-2008 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd51 View Post
Did you live here in Charlotte? Were trying to get out of here.
We lived in Cary which is a suburb of Raleigh.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 PM

225 posts, read 716,060 times
What is Cary like, besides being nice.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Cary is nice....but pretty much just one big sprawling homogenous suburb that could be found anywhere in the country. It's really overrated actually. Nice place, but not so amazing and fantastic that everyone should want to live there.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I went to Queen of Martyrs Grade School and Cheektowaga Central. We lived near St. Joseph Hospital and before it was there, I use to play in the woods--it is interesting that the area east of the hospital has not developed. The big shopping for me was the Thruway Plaza--this was before it became a mall and now I see it was torn down.

There was a much gang activity in the area around the Town Park and along Walden in the late 40s to the mid 50s. Latter when I was gone, my parents moved near Coma Park and Transit---that was a much nicer area. However, brother and sisters all moved to Colorado as adults. My parents followed us about 25 years ago. We are all alive and happy in the Denver area and have no contact, no relatives, no friends in WNY---all have left---mostly to Florida.

Denver is the perfect spot--not to cold and not to hot---it has four seasons. It is not in the Mountains but on the Great Plains and consequently has a very mild climate compared to areas in the Mountains, which are just a few miles west. The Denver area has history, a culture and very little friction between ethnic groups. It does not have the decay that I saw in the east side of Buffalo.

If I never went in the Army and saw other places, I do not think that I would have ever left Western New York. I would never have settled in Buffalo but some of the small towns in WNY that appeal to me. The weather there is not good for my health now, but WNY is a beautiful area. But, I never really loved Buffalo--to many bad experiences going downtown on the Sycamore bus from the Thruway Plaza and bad times at the Schiller Park Pool. Back then, it had some rough people and today, it looks like the area is worse.

Denver is a much nicer, cleaner and safe city.... but I do have some good memories of WNY.....

Livecontent
There were gangs in Cheektowaga? Is Cheektowaga more of blue collar, working class type of suburb or is it a mix of class ranges?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There were gangs in Cheektowaga? Is Cheektowaga more of blue collar, working class type of suburb or is it a mix of class ranges?
I am referring to young white gangs in the 40s, 50s, along Walden and hang around the Thruway Plaza and The Town Park. At that time, black gangs did not invade in the area.

I remember the Monsignor of Queen of Martyrs church talking about the efforts that the church, the police and the local businesses exerting to control the situation.

You would see many teenage and young adult men, who thought they were tough, roaming in groups and blocking traffic, harassing people--

There are many causes of gangs but one is the low education and expectation of education. This cause comes from parents who do not value educational attainment. You can take this statement or reject it but I never heard too much about Jewish gangs in Buffalo, NYC or any city.

Cheektowaga at that time was mostly blue collar who worked in the factories. There was little diversity of races or a toleration of other races, religions or ethnic origin. The worse attitude were the first settled immigrants who brought their prejudices from their home countries. When I was young, that would mean our grandparents. Parents who were born in the US, has less identity and were sometimes more open and their children were more tolerant. I remember, as a kid that the old Polish treated me with disgust because I was of Italian ancestry, even some of the miserable polish felician nuns at the church school.

It was predominate ethnic Polish, some German, few Italians in this area around the Town Park and of course all very catholic.

Livecontent

Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,430 times
I miss Anacones , beef on weck. There's only one place bar I know of DC that has Beef on Weck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area