Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM

35 posts, read 91,874 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am 24 years old and I have lived in Buffalo my whole life. I enjoy the summers in Buffalo very much but the winters are extremely hard for me to get through (I suffer from SAD and fibromyalgia which gets worse in during the winter). I have been debating wether I should move to a warmer, sunnier climate but then I think would I miss Buffalo if I left? What would you guys miss if you left Buffalo or have you left the area and if so what do you miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
I moved out of Buffalo to another state a number of years ago. We moved to Raleigh which is kind of a melting pot right now. We missed the restaurants, lakes, low cost housing, culture, low traffic, having four seasons and family most of all. Here we are withing a few hours of many parks, four other large cities.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I also moved from Rochester to Raleigh and lived there for nearly 13 years. Moved back to good ole' upstate ny last summer and am glad to be home. It's all a matter of personal experiance and perferance. I liked the late fall and early spring weather better in NC and that's about it. Summer was BRUTAL, and late spring, though nice temperatures, had HORRIBLE pollen and if you have allergies it will literally make you sick for atleast a month or two.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloGoo View Post
Hello everyone, I am 24 years old and I have lived in Buffalo my whole life. I enjoy the summers in Buffalo very much but the winters are extremely hard for me to get through (I suffer from SAD and fibromyalgia which gets worse in during the winter). I have been debating wether I should move to a warmer, sunnier climate but then I think would I miss Buffalo if I left? What would you guys miss if you left Buffalo or have you left the area and if so what do you miss?
According to Mayo Clinic:

Quote:
You hurt all over, and you frequently feel exhausted. Even after numerous tests, your doctor can't find anything specifically wrong with you. If this sounds familiar, you may have fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points — places on your body where slight pressure causes pain. Fibromyalgia is more common in women than in men. Previously, fibromyalgia was known by other names such as fibrositis, chronic muscle pain syndrome, psychogenic rheumatism and tension myalgias.

Although the intensity of your symptoms may vary, they'll probably never disappear completely. It may be reassuring to know, however, that fibromyalgia isn't progressive or life-threatening. Treatments and self-care steps can improve fibromyalgia symptoms and your general health.
I am sorry to hear about this condition, but it is not said (medically) that moving would change the symptoms.

You're 24, lived here all your life and suffering from SAD, how long have you had this condition?

Quote:
Like many people, you may develop cabin fever during the winter months. Or you may find yourself eating more or sleeping more when the temperature drops and darkness falls earlier. While those are common and normal reactions to the changing seasons, people with seasonal affective disorder (SAD) experience a much more serious reaction when summer shifts to fall and on to winter.

With seasonal affective disorder, fall's short days and long nights may trigger feelings of depression, lethargy, fatigue and other problems. Don't brush this off as simply a case of the "winter blues" that you have to tough out on your own.

Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression, and it can severely impair your daily life. That said, treatment — which may include light box therapy — can help you successfully manage seasonal affective disorder. You don't have to dread the dawning of each fall or winter.
Then there is Daylight savings....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bdivisions.png

which, all but one (of the US) shares.

With all of this, it sounds like living in Buffalo is not much different than living any place else. So what's the reason for wanting to leave Buffalo if your medical conditions would be unchanged anywhere else?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I left Buffalo almost 40 years ago, not because of the weather but because of the economic and social decay. Now, I have been in Denver for 30 years. When I left I was young and healthy. Now I am older and I have severe arthritis, osteo, rheumatoid, strong possibility of fibromyalgia, and many other life challenging maladies. I know that I can never go back to the moisture, the wet, the rain and the cold of Western New York. In Denver, it is much drier, lower humidity and a milder climate. When the situations in Denver become like the wet cold days in Buffalo---I know and I can feel the difference.

Fibromyalgia has many symptoms that emanate as an arthritic condition. Moisture, Cold, Rain, Humidity can cause more swelling and pain. The Federal Government has recently recognized that this problem is a real manifestation of a chronic condition.

I would say that if you see that you are having problems then try a different area and climate. If it improves your condition then you will know. You are young; it would not hurt to try to explore the country.

Yes, you will miss many aspects about Western New York--it has many fine attributes. However, I have found that nothing in WNY is so unique that cannot be found anywhere else except memories and sense of place. If you are born in an area and live there a long time; you cannot totally erase the longing; the feelings of home; friends and relatives; a place of belonging; and the maudlin nostalgia. It will always be with you but as time goes on; it fads and you create new memories, associations, family and another place that becomes home. Remember, you can always move back but give the new place a chance; accept and appreciate the differences that you will find.

Livecontent

Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
When I move, I will miss the food, and the sports teams..

Above all, my family and friends.

Other than that, not much else.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply's everybody!!!

I also wanted to ask you guys when you moved out of Buffalo did you find that people in other cities were nicer than they are here? I know that there are nice and mean people everywhere but when I traveled to the south it seemed like everyone down there was extremely nice, way more friendly than the people in Buffalo. cheese9988, do the people in Raleigh seem nicer than they are in Buffalo?

FedupWNY, I started having symptoms of SAD about 4 years ago. I am considering getting a light therapy box so hopefully that will help.

Livecontent, I'm sorry about your health problems. Today it's only 40 degrees here and I am having a very painful day, I hope the weather where you are is a little warmer then it is here.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
When I was young in Buffalo, I had little experience to compare the friendliness of the area. It is when I went away to the Army that I found out big differences. I would notice when returning home on leave how somewhat grumpy and unfriendly people were in my hometown; I grew up in Cheetowaga. Perhaps it was a result of the influence of the hard core conservation ways of the Polish ethnic culture. I certainly did feel the prejudices, from an early age, against any differences of race and ethnicity that permeated the town.

Was that indicative of the whole part of Western New York ??? I did notice that the people of South Buffalo were much more friendlier, perhaps it was the outgoing influence of the Irish. However, there was always that pervasive prejudices against others, that is to me part of my experience of the Buffalo Region.

It is very hard to measure friendliness; there are so many characteristics that define that description. In addition, all of us, change and age over time. For some of us, when we are younger, we are many times more outgoing and want to see and experience others; when we are older we are more entrenched in our ways and do not accept differences as much. For others it may be the reverse and as we age we learn that other groups; other people; other views; other ethnicity are valued.

So what I am saying our view toward others influences their view toward us. I have met New Yorkers, all over the country, who claim, that the new area is unfriendly. They will never realize that much is from their crappy attitude. Yet, I have also met some that find all other people friendly and receptive, because they themselve make people comfortable in their presence.

It is hard to generalize, even as I have generalized on my youth in Cheektowaga, because there were some very friendly and helpful people in WNY. But compared to Denver, it is such a big difference; there is not the deep prejudices; the prejudices that prevent a decaying city from reaching the potential and greatness it once had. Denver is much different; yes, much different; more open; more receptive to differences and consequently able to achieve a better quality of life, for that is what being friendly makes for all of us.

Livecontent

Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloGoo View Post
cheese9988, do the people in Raleigh seem nicer than they are in Buffalo?
Some of the southerners do. Its southern hospitality, so its a different type of nice. When you get 1/2 hour away from the city, your away from the melting pot and you see people are more laid back. For some thats great, for others its tough to get used to. Especially if your the go go go type or always keep busy.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Livecontent, I live in Cheekowaga! I went to Maryvale High school.

cheese9988, I would love the more laid back attitude in the south!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area