Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM

147 posts, read 535,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsofblue View Post
Hey Everyone.

I'm almost done with my college search and I applied to a school in Buffalo, New York almost 9 hours away from my home town on Long Island. While I really liked the school and the area, could anyone tell me (or try) to tell me what the transition would be like. Buffalo gets a lot of snow and East Moriches (where I live) gets not enough (lol). Does anyone think a New Yorker like me would be able to adjust? I also like the cold weather! And if I was gonna drive any idea on what I should be driving? I know this is a lot of info, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Hey J -

I moved here from NYC to go to UB and yes, B'lo gets a lot of snow. But temperature wise, its about the same. So, I say, So What?, about the snow. It reminds me of being a kid; here, the snow is pretty unlike NYC where it just turns into grey slime immediately. Dont worry - the snow is no big deal. You'll see that fast.

Where are you going to school? I hope you dont stay on campus too much. Allentown is a great place for live music and the Elmwood Village is a great walk-around-place. Take advantage. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:31 PM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsofblue View Post
Hey Everyone.

I'm almost done with my college search and I applied to a school in Buffalo, New York almost 9 hours away from my home town on Long Island. While I really liked the school and the area, could anyone tell me (or try) to tell me what the transition would be like. Buffalo gets a lot of snow and East Moriches (where I live) gets not enough (lol). Does anyone think a New Yorker like me would be able to adjust? I also like the cold weather! And if I was gonna drive any idea on what I should be driving? I know this is a lot of info, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeremy
O and let me add to my last post - when I moved up here I was so surprised to see all the little cars people drove. I expected it to be like when I was out west, where everyone (go figure) drove monster size trucks and SUVs. I had a little Honda Prelude when I got here. I meant to put snow tires on it, Garage said Dont Bother and I thought that was a lie - but it wasnt. Unless you are driving a hunk o junk you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area