Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,196 times

Advertisements

This year, like every year in the past, home heating costs are headed our way this winter. Putting plastic on the windows, hanging heavier curtains, wearing an extra sweater. What would you cut back on to help make up the difference on the gas bill? Skimping on a few extra groceries, paying a little less on other bills so the gas stays on? Take on another job through the holidays to help with bills?

Don't be fooled by the myth: turning your thermostat down saves money.

When Buffalo and WNY faces those bitter cold days, lowering the temperature on the thermostat means the furnace kicks on more often, thus, no great savings. The increases to our gas comes with a rise in utility rates (added profit for gas co.), not over using heating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,259 times
all of the above and making coffee instead of buying it (although I rarely do, I know others do, I am not a coffee drinker)

how about making holiday cards rather than buying them? I mean those personal ones for close family that cost 3.00 a piece?? yikes

Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Signed up for the Energy Co-Op to provide my supply of natural gas and electric. Ecny.org is the website.

That saves me around 10 percent a month on natural gas, and the savings on electric is basically nothing..

I also have a 4 setting thermostat that turns down to 55 degrees when I am at work, and 59 degrees when I am asleep, then turns up to a toasty 62 degrees when I am awake.

We do just fine on Gas bills, usually under 150 per month to heat the lower of the duplex that I own.

The real way to save on home heating is to rent out your house and move west or to florida. That is on my long term goal list for sure.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
The real way to save on home heating is to rent out your house and move west or to florida. That is on my long term goal list for sure.
i used to dream too - make it a reality!!! I love winter, but only for xmas - wny is AWESOME - but i hate winter - its just the dreary weather - spring and summer and fall are awesome

Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 PM

137 posts, read 316,023 times
I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but if you are cutting cost in the winter to pay your gas bill you are living beyond your means.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but if you are cutting cost in the winter to pay your gas bill you are living beyond your means.
Not from where I'm standing, Marine. I've lived in the same house for nearly 20 years, got a new "energy star" furnace 3 years ago, keep the house at the same temperature each winter and no savings what so ever. In fact, we've paid more each year in home heating since the day we moved in, not because we're "living above our means", but because National Fuel can increase their rates sky high without a single thought in repercussion towards the families who have to have to survive each winter, even if it means cutting back on things like food if it means heating the home.

I don't mean to offend Marine, but you've been away from upstate NY too long.

On a personal note, I don't disrespect the service you provide, my brother is 22 years in uniform, signed up out of highschool. Proud as I am, he was called up for 4 years and was shocked at the economic downfalls the area has faced while he was away. His family never lived above their means, nor will yours. I presume, once here, you'll soon understand what it is to be an upstate New Yorker. As an ordinary person here, you'll know a different meaning of "tightening boot straps".

Truth is, politicians won't write laws preventing excessive taxation of utility companies because the utilitiy companies contribute excessively to politicians' campaigns. As bitter as Buffalo in the dead of January, paying the gas bill is not only expensive, it's political. Welcome home, buddy.

Last edited by FedupWNY; 11-13-2008 at 09:57 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 PM

137 posts, read 316,023 times
I understand I really do, my mother and both of my brothers have always lived in Buffalo. What I am saying is I can keep my 2000 sqft home at a comfortable 70 degrees all winter and not worrry about paying a $300-$700 gas bill.
I know it is because rates skyrocket. What I am saying is everyone in Buffalo knows rates are going to go up in the winter so there shouldn't be a suprise when the bill comes and you should already be prepared.
It sucks I know, but according to a recent Men's Health magazine Buffalo recieved a "D" when it come politics (that includes voting, speaking up about what is right, contacting their government officals, etc.) So until more then a hand full of us start voicing our opinions to others besides us in the forum things are not going to change.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
So until more then a hand full of us start voicing our opinions to others besides us in the forum things are not going to change.
Takes more than voices, T'is voters and voters who stand behind name recognition or self-interest, we'll never have "a change" in NYS. Thus the taxpayers with limited income suffer most, the reason, not for myself, I asked with this thread.

Quote:
What to cut back on as increases come to home heating?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 AM

114 posts, read 867,989 times
What about investing in a space heater, to save on gas bills. I am not sure how much the electricity bill would be.
MS

Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
i used to dream too - make it a reality!!! I love winter, but only for xmas - wny is AWESOME - but i hate winter - its just the dreary weather - spring and summer and fall are awesome
Thanks Caugust.

My girlfriend and I are recent college grads, we took advantage of the good schools here in WNY, and we are going to go somewhere warm and use that degree.

We are tired of working 12-13 dollar per hour jobs around here, especially when you have a 400 per month school loan payment.

Right now every place is pretty slow on hiring new people in due to the economy, but we expect it to pickup, everything runs in a cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area