Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:18 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Here's some interesting information in relation to what has been recently discussed here:
The Tax Foundation - State Business Tax Climate Index-- Corporate Tax Index, 2010

EconSouth, Vol. 10, No. 1, Southern States Ply the Art of the Deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:00 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
You understand what I am saying. Although I am betting that most 22-23 year olds going for their four year degree are still in college. I know my wife was still attending UB when she was 23 and I don't think we moved to NC until a year after.

If the sky were the number of young people, it is falling and I am going to use the same pdf posted. The conclusion of the report basically sums up the loss of college kids to other states. "Compared with U.S. states, upstate New York's net outflow of college-educated workers reflects a lack of a "brain gain" rather than an unusually large "brain drain." College-educated adults are not moving to the region fast enough to stem natural out-migration flows."

Furthermore: "States with the strongest net inflows of the educated population are mainly in the South and West, including Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. While out-migration rates for these states-like the rate for upstate New York-tend to be about average, in-migration rates are at least three times as great." So even though they loose the same average rate of educated people as NY, they gain three times as many. Any way you look at it, we still lost all those people.

I am saying this reflects our job market. The population will continue to age if we cannot find jobs, this will cause a rise in medicare, and further upset the ration of private jobs to public. We need to curb this loss and keep the people that will support our state in future years.

Most upstate counties are losing people.

ERS/USDA Data - 2009 County and State Population Estimates

Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Most upstate counties are losing people.

ERS/USDA Data - 2009 County and State Population Estimates
Some are and some actually aren't and are gaining people. There are issues that need to be addressed, but it varies by county too.

Also, be careful with estimates, as many have come back to be pretty off in terms of margin of error.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some are and some actually aren't and are gaining people. There are issues that need to be addressed, but it varies by county too.

Also, be careful with estimates, as many have come back to be pretty off in terms of margin of error.
still, most counties are losing people or are gaining slowly in whitch I don't have a problem with very slow gain.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
still, most counties are losing people or are gaining slowly in whitch I don't have a problem with very slow gain.
Some are either slowly losing or stabilizing as well.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some are either slowly losing or stabilizing as well.

loss has spead up in a few areas.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 PM

112 posts, read 282,469 times
The one reason it slowed down was because of what happen
in national recession, but as the nation recesion is recovering
look for it to start speeding up again. probally even faster then
before because of the people who were already waiting for the national
recession recovery. Hundereds of GM workers are taking the
buy out at the Tonwanda Engine plant and leaving town, Either they take the buy out or they have to take a 70% pay cut and work for $13/HR on the new Engine line they recently are getting.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post
buy out at the Tonwanda Engine plant and leaving town, Either they take the buy out or they have to take a 70% pay cut and work for $13/HR on the new Engine line they recently are getting.
good point.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post

upstate new york wasn't great before the recession. so I'm sure place like florida might be slowing in growth for now but when the economy picks back up it will start growing fast there again.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
upstate new york wasn't great before the recession. so I'm sure place like florida might be slowing in growth for now but when the economy picks back up it will start growing fast there again.
I doubt it due to increases in taxes/costs, poor/poorer public schools and crime(4th highest rate in the US), among some other things. It might be slow growth, if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area