Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times

Advertisements

Snow in Buffalo? Really???

Go to the Anchor Bar, eat wings and drink beer until winter ends in July.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 AM

114 posts, read 868,106 times
JustinH, that is absolutely true...you have to be holed up in your apt./house, especially if your new to the area and dont have generations of family living here.
MS

Old 12-21-2008, 02:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
I want snow like I had my freshman year of high school (2000) on like Nov 21st, we got like 4ft-8ft in 24 hours. My normal commute to school was about 15 minutes. That day it took me 11 hours to get home! I made a lot of money snow blowing the next few days!
The only problem with the travel on that day was no one expected that storm... and the City, County, State and Federal offices all let out at approx. the same time from downtown. Add to that the school buses on the road and it was a mess. My daughter had over 5 feet of snow in her driveway and called us at work to find somerplace to stay... as it turned out, no schoolbuses showed at our school ( they were still in traffic out on the early bus runs) and we all wound up overnight in the schools with the students. Funny thing -- after a 3 hour commute down main roads thru Amherst and Clarence the next day, we got to Transit over by Eastern Hills Mall and there was little snow -- there is a geographical ridge and the LES virtually stopped there ( only a foot or so).

Today it is different; we are getting the brunt of it past the ridge -- I don't have to go out and I don't care; love the snow -- we have 10" on top of the 10" we had and more to come.

Anyone who has never seen the weather change this radically, you just need to drive down Transit in Depew from the airport until you get to where you are on Transit Hill by the Tops and Transit Hill Plaza (before Antionette's at French Rd) -- you are on the high spot and can look into the Boston Hills in the south on a clear day. On some days, you can drive across the road there and from west to east is a big temperature change! No joke!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
America in general has become a very south-west centric mindset. The general notion is that "normal" weather is not having much snow in the winter and that you should be able to walk around in shorts atleast 300 days of the year. "Cold" and "snow" is now considered the worst kind of weather you can have.
Sounds good to me!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
ah yes...but you apparently "forgot" to include the other part in your quote...that it is actually extreme HEAT that kills more people in America than any other weather related event.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 PM

137 posts, read 316,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
The only problem with the travel on that day was no one expected that storm... and the City, County, State and Federal offices all let out at approx. the same time from downtown. Add to that the school buses on the road and it was a mess. My daughter had over 5 feet of snow in her driveway and called us at work to find somerplace to stay... as it turned out, no schoolbuses showed at our school ( they were still in traffic out on the early bus runs) and we all wound up overnight in the schools with the students. Funny thing -- after a 3 hour commute down main roads thru Amherst and Clarence the next day, we got to Transit over by Eastern Hills Mall and there was little snow -- there is a geographical ridge and the LES virtually stopped there ( only a foot or so).

Today it is different; we are getting the brunt of it past the ridge -- I don't have to go out and I don't care; love the snow -- we have 10" on top of the 10" we had and more to come.

Anyone who has never seen the weather change this radically, you just need to drive down Transit in Depew from the airport until you get to where you are on Transit Hill by the Tops and Transit Hill Plaza (before Antionette's at French Rd) -- you are on the high spot and can look into the Boston Hills in the south on a clear day. On some days, you can drive across the road there and from west to east is a big temperature change! No joke!
The day was crazy. As most of you already know I went to Hutch Tech which is dowtown a few blocks from City Hall, the Federal building and other major employers and at 3:30 Everyone was trying to get out of downtown. 7 of my 11 hour drive home was spent stuck infront of channel 7 news we ended up going south on the 190 instead of north because the north was blocked. We ended up on... I forget the name of the street but it was near Buff State around 12am and there was a McDonalds next to us and ever though everyone that worked there was stuck and there was a ton of people trying to get some food they werent serving any !

Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
I'll explain the snow to someone who is unfamiliar with it.

You work from 9am to 5pm, you come home it is pitch black out.

You come home to shovel out your driveway that was plowed in, and you are happy that the plow crews actually plowed your street.

You shovel outside for about an hour, when it is about 10 degrees out, with blowing winds.

You get up the next morning, your nose is so dry and your skin is cracked because you forgot to turn on the humidifier in your bedroom.

You have to shovel out your car again, and scrape ice off the glass of the car.

You get home from work, to find your 300 dollar gas bill for the month. Then you turn on the depressing Channel 2 news, which tells you about the new tax of the day, or how they are "holding people in power accountable".

When you get out of work, you don't want to go back outside, so you sit in your house and drink.

This cycle lasts 4-5 months out of the year, and during the summer is the rainy season (at least last summer was a wash)..
Sounds like Boston, Massachusetts! Big deal. I am here writing this message after Boston got "walloped" by over 16 inches of snow from two back to back snowstorms. School was canceled and so I was not able to go to work, the snow turned to ice outside, and I feel like I am stuck at home.

I don't blame the snow though, I blame the wimps up at Boston City Hall for canceling school even when the snow fell yesterday. Heck, they canceled school on Friday in anticipation of the first snowstorm - even when there was not one flake on the ground! Please tell me this does not happen in Buffalo. You guys over by Lake Erie have it good. I sometimes wish that Boston had just as much snow as Buffalo. And this is from someone with the driest skin on earth. I don't see what there is to complain about.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM

51 posts, read 116,044 times
I happen to live in an area in Buffalo that historically does not get plowed like some areas. The result is most people are trapped in their homes after a significant snow fall which is the case today. The city claims they are doing their best, but I remember telling my parents that when I got a "C" in Science.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
I had to laugh when I heard on the news that Chicago got pounded with back to back snowstorms that left six inches on the ground. We don't even mention it if it's less than a foot per day, every day.

I'm not so crazy about dealing with snow anymore, especially since we've had a foot on the ground for the past month and we just started the actual winter season. That's enough for me. I'll be spending my time in Fla for the next couple of months.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accbqjx View Post
I happen to live in an area in Buffalo that historically does not get plowed like some areas. The result is most people are trapped in their homes after a significant snow fall which is the case today. The city claims they are doing their best, but I remember telling my parents that when I got a "C" in Science.
How are people "trapped in their homes" if the city plows are for only clearing the streets? It's the obligation of the residents to shovel their sidewalks, so I'm confussed on the use of "trapped".

There's a pattern to follow when it comes to city plowing, all main roads, those leading to hospitals, and evacuation routes (streets heading out of the city) are done first. Secondary streets are taken care of thereafter. Generally the plows come out when snowfall is near it's end of the weather band, so's not to do a route and have to redo it, putting plow drivers into overtime, or additional wear & tear on the trucks, as well as the usage of salt. In some cases the plows will clear the streets if the city knows the weather band is going to last more than a few hours, as in the circumstances of the snowfall that occured yesterday.

In my neighborhood from early yesterday to this morning, the plows came through twice on the main roads, my estimates would say that by this afternoon through tomorrow, secondary (side) streets will be taken care of.

It's kind of a catch-22 though. If the city employs extra people, purchases extra trucks, to make sure every street in the City of Buffalo is plowed immediately after a snowfall, then there's a complaint of the city spending too much of our tax dollars for city employees. On the other hand, if the city keeps the (financially sufficient) number of trucks and employees running to clear the streets as they are now, 2 hours after every snow fall, complaints come out that their street hadn't been plowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area