Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,369,236 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Lockport-Gasport area and worked at Harrision Radiator Division from '80-'94 before moving west. Still lots of memories of lots of good people and great food in the area-you can't get a decent order of wings, a beef on 'weck or even good pizza or sub in the west. (Otherwise I love it here, small price to pay, but that's another story). I'm wondering, how badly is the downturn in the auto industry hurting the area? Between HRD (Delphi), Chevy Tonawanda and the forge, plus all of their suppliers, I'd expect things are rough. Have there been major plant closures in the last few years? Does it look like Delphi is going to make it?

Best of luck to everyone in the area.

Brian in Idaho (NY Refugee)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM

82 posts, read 142,370 times
Toyman - American Axle is virtually gone from WNY. The only thing they have left is the plant in Cheektowaga. Around 250 people work there . Delphi Lockport is down to around 2500 people. Technically Delphi is still in Chapter 11 and can't get financing to come out of it so it's anyone's guess if they will make it. Since GM is their largest customer and with their problems I don't see how Delphi can survive. GM Tonawanda is down to around 1500 people so the auto industry in WNY is a shadow of what it used to be

Old 01-02-2009, 08:51 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,369,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnno View Post
Toyman - American Axle is virtually gone from WNY. The only thing they have left is the plant in Cheektowaga. Around 250 people work there . Delphi Lockport is down to around 2500 people. Technically Delphi is still in Chapter 11 and can't get financing to come out of it so it's anyone's guess if they will make it. Since GM is their largest customer and with their problems I don't see how Delphi can survive. GM Tonawanda is down to around 1500 people so the auto industry in WNY is a shadow of what it used to be
Man that's rough, I didn't realize things were that bad. I think Delphi was around 5000 when I left, lots of good people there. I know a lot of them took the GM retirement plan when they split off. I also hadn't realized they were still in Chapter 11.

Has there been enough growth in other businesses to make up for the loss?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,207,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Man that's rough, I didn't realize things were that bad. I think Delphi was around 5000 when I left, lots of good people there. I know a lot of them took the GM retirement plan when they split off. I also hadn't realized they were still in Chapter 11.

Has there been enough growth in other businesses to make up for the loss?
I can't think of any growth in the Lockport area.

Buffalo is becoming bill collector central, there are several of the larger bill collecting companies in Buffalo and surrounding suburbs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area