Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a new Peace Bridge be the top priority infrastructure in upstate?
Yes. It should be replaced for something bigger/better just because .... 5 50.00%
No. There are too many other roads & bridges that need improvements first 5 50.00%
other, will leave a comment. 0 0%
If you don't/no longer live in New York State, please choose this option (but leave comment below) 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:31 AM

259 posts, read 888,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
The poll choices are as true to the facts as it comes. Replacing just one Peace Bridge with millions of dollars, or using millions of dollars in hundreds of neighborhoods that have needed infrastructure improvements for many years?
Your missing my point. The poll choices should be yes or no and not include "the facts" as you see them.

The way I see it the bridge gives us the most bang for the bucks, especially since Canada will foot part of the bill. A new bridge will make us THE MAJOR border crossing for goods between Canada and the US. The positive economic impact will be in the 100's of millions of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
Your missing my point. The poll choices should be yes or no and not include "the facts" as you see them.
Should a new Peace Bridge be the top priority infrastructure in upstate?

Yes. It should be replaced for something bigger/better just because ....

No. There are too many other roads & bridges that need improvements first

As per the Governor's state of the state address, the polling options are equal to facts. The only reason for replaing the Peace Bridge is for something bigger/better, and definately not because it is in need of serious repairs as the Grand Island bridges are.

The surface of the Peace Bridge is perfect compared to the surfaces of hundreds of streets throughout Buffalo and Niagara Falls. So the options are "new Peace Bridge just because..." or "other infrastructure is more important".

I don't think I'm missing your point of wanting just a "yes or no" poll omitting what the facts really are.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM

The condition of the bridge has nothing to do with the fact that it is inadequate to do the job that we need it to do. Also, I must point out that we are not replacing the Peace bridge we are building a second bridge that will more than double the capacity of the crossing. I can't tell you how many time I have driven the I190 and seen trucks lined up on the bridge as far as the eye could see and those are just the ones that decided not to bypass Buffalo in favor of some other crossing. The new bridge will bring more jobs and money to WNY than any other group of projects that would cost the same.

The new bridge will run along side the old.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The condition of the bridge has nothing to do with the fact that it is inadequate to do the job that we need it to do.
The condition of mostly all the street surfaces in the Buffalo & Naigara Falls areas has everything to do with Governor Paterson "prioritizing" which projects to take on in our area. As per the paragraph quoted from his state of the state address in creating this poll.

Quote:
By making careful and prioritized infrastructure investments....
Quote:
By investing in roads and bridges.....
Quote:
We should complete signature projects all across our State including the Peace Bridge ....

Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Sounds like he is prioritizing the investments on what will give us the best return,like the bridge. I see nothing about condition in the quotes, because condition is not what he is basing his priorities on. I would guess that completion of the 219 is high on the list also because it creates a direct southeast route to and from the bridge.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Sounds like he is prioritizing the investments on what will give us the best return,like the bridge. I see nothing about condition in the quotes, because condition is not what he is basing his priorities on. I would guess that completion of the 219 is high on the list also because it creates a direct southeast route to and from the bridge.
The surface conditions of the roadways outside of the Peace Bridge project.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:47 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
A signature bridge is a waste of money. I can just see the ads: see Buffalo's bridge -- and how many tourists will come to the lower west side for that?This should just be first: start by opening all the toll areas constantly closed. Second: if that doesn't solve the problem, keep those areas and build a second similar span. End of problem

Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
The surface conditions of the roadways outside of the Peace Bridge project.
The condition of roads and bridges around WNY is terrible and the Peace Bridge itself is in good shape. A signature bridge is nice but not necessary but these facts are do not change the fact that a second bridge will bring more jobs and money to the area therefore making the bridge project the priority.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
The condition of roads and bridges around WNY is terrible and the Peace Bridge itself is in good shape. A signature bridge is nice but not necessary but these facts are do not change the fact that a second bridge will bring more jobs and money to the area therefore making the bridge project the priority.
Your first few words: The condition of roads and bridges around WNY is terrible, I'm not objecting the Peace Bridge project, I am suggesting fixing the "terrible" roads & bridges first, as an infrastructure priority.

Who's going to want to work, spend money or travel anywhere in WNY when every street (other than the Peace Bridge) is in poor condition?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,273 times
I would say the bridge should be a priority for the Buffalo economy. As Buffalo has always been a middle ground for transportation (ie, canals, railroads, ports), the bridges that allow trade and commuting to and from Canada may be one of the only advantages Buffalo still has as a location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area