Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a new Peace Bridge be the top priority infrastructure in upstate?
Yes. It should be replaced for something bigger/better just because .... 5 50.00%
No. There are too many other roads & bridges that need improvements first 5 50.00%
other, will leave a comment. 0 0%
If you don't/no longer live in New York State, please choose this option (but leave comment below) 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,945 times

Advertisements

Governor Paterson gave his first state of the state address and in it, he expressed having a new Peace Bridge as the only "priority project" for the Buffalo area. Is spending millions of dollars on one bridge more important (a priority) than fixing the poor infrastructure throughout the upstate area?

Share your thoughts.

For readers living outside of New York State who'd like to comment, my little request is that you please post respectfully towards the people who have made Buffalo and upstate their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 AM

As per the quote in Governor Paterson's state of the state Adrress:

Quote:
To build a brighter future, we need a smarter, better infrastructure. By making careful and prioritized infrastructure investments, we will create 21st century jobs by building a 21st century infrastructure that will allow our private sector to make its own 21st century investments. Our infrastructure efforts should be targeted so that businesses can invest with confidence – this is where we can create the foundation for economic progress for decades to come. By investing in roads and bridges, in higher education institutions, in statewide broadband installation and the computerization of medical records, and in clean water and wastewater systems among other projects, we are providing the framework for future economic vitality. We should complete signature projects all across our State including the Peace Bridge, the Tappan Zee Bridge, the Second Avenue Subway, and the East Side Access. And we should implement the Ravitch Commission recommendations to improve an essential piece of our infrastructure, the MTA.
The entire address can be read from the link. http://www.ny.gov/governor/keydocs/speech_0107091.html

Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM

260 posts, read 977,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Governor Paterson gave his first state of the state address and in it, he expressed having a new Peace Bridge as the only "priority project" for the Buffalo area. Is spending millions of dollars on one bridge more important (a priority) than fixing the poor infrastructure throughout the upstate area?

Share your thoughts.

For readers living outside of New York State who'd like to comment, my little request is that you please post respectfully towards the people who have made Buffalo and upstate their home.
Sorry that I havent been posting ... It took Time Warner 8 cancellations to get to my place! a whole month lol.

But yeah. Is a new bridge a priority over other projects like the waterfront. Hell no, but... do I want a new peace bridge? , ah yeah. No question! I support all projects in WNY. But I would like the money to go the waterfront though, I don't mind the money going to a peace bridge. Keep the money in WNY.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
Sorry that I havent been posting ... It took Time Warner 8 cancellations to get to my place! a whole month lol.

But yeah. Is a new bridge a priority over other projects like the waterfront. Hell no, but... do I want a new peace bridge? , ah yeah. No question! I support all projects in WNY. But I would like the money to go the waterfront though, I don't mind the money going to a peace bridge. Keep the money in WNY.
Infrastructure as a whole. What are your thoughts on the poor conditions of the roadways in and around Buffalo? Would you want a new Peace Bridge before (much needed) repaved streets?

Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 PM

259 posts, read 888,624 times
Bridge should be the priority.

You should remove your comments from the poll choices. It shows your bias.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
Bridge should be the priority.

You should remove your comments from the poll choices. It shows your bias.
Bias? Other than the wanting of a new Peace Bridge, the structure is in perfect condition, it's sound & safe, 110%. As compared to the Grand Island Bridges, Grand Island should be a higher priority. When talking infrastructure as a whole, the comments with yes or no support the reality of a perfectly sound Peace Bridge versus all the other poor conditions of the infrastructure throughout upstate NY.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,595 times
Quote:
Bias? Other than the wanting of a new Peace Bridge, the structure is in perfect condition, it's sound & safe, 110%. As compared to the Grand Island Bridges, Grand Island should be a higher priority. When talking infrastructure as a whole, the comments with yes or no support the reality of a perfectly sound Peace Bridge versus all the other poor conditions of the infrastructure throughout upstate NY.
You are right on the money. Paterson doesn't know much about Upstate. The way he phrased it--we need to complete the bridge because it'll be a "signature"--is the same dumb justification we keep hearing, and it masks the real truth of the situation.

More people need to realize that the current peace bridge is enough to handle traffic, and that the new bridge is being dangled in front of Buffalo's citizens in order to push through the much-needed new truck plaza (which will solve the traffic quagmire whether or not there's a new bridge). Both the truck plaza and the bridge could move north, of course, but that's not on the table.

The real signature of Buffalo is the roughly 100 homes that they want us to trade (along with the neighborhood's health) for the "signature bridge." We need a governor who can cut through this bull****.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 PM

259 posts, read 888,624 times
Quote:

I don't have a problem with your opinion its just that it shouldn't show up in the poll choices. It would be like if I started a poll..."What is your favorite ice cream flavor? And the poll choices were...1. Wonderful Vanilla 2. Stupid Chocolate 3. I'm a total loser and like a different flavor.

Hardly a fair poll.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
I don't have a problem with your opinion its just that it shouldn't show up in the poll choices. It would be like if I started a poll..."What is your favorite ice cream flavor? And the poll choices were...1. Wonderful Vanilla 2. Stupid Chocolate 3. I'm a total loser and like a different flavor.

Hardly a fair poll.
The poll choices are as true to the facts as it comes. Replacing just one Peace Bridge with millions of dollars, or using millions of dollars in hundreds of neighborhoods that have needed infrastructure improvements for many years?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 PM

137 posts, read 316,203 times
At least we have a governer that is giving Upstate some attention.

Do I think the Peace Bridge should be priority? No, but I do think it should be addressed in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area